Oscars Talk Thread 2013: It's a big night for Affleck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugggh Jennfer Lawrence. Meh Argo I guess. Hooray for Ang Lee, he's adorable. DDL is the classiest dude alive.

- Thought MacFarlane was damn good. The highlight of his night for me was the "We've seen your boobs" gag. That shit was funny. He had a number of other good one-liners as the night went on.

- Can't believe J. Lawrence actually fell. It totally threw her off, too, as she rushed her speech and seemed way flustered after. Understandably, but still. Cute, though. And good for her. Although I would have rather seen Chastain get the upset win.

- Great moment for Affleck, too. And he seemed to speed through his speech at the start also...but then he locked into "Oh yeah, I'm Ben fucking Affleck and I just won Best Picture" mode and calmed down a bit and finished strong.

- Cheered and clapped loudly for Waltz. Didn't think he had a chance. And his use of the quotes from Django was a nice touch. Fine speech.

- DDL brought the jokes! Another fine speech.

- Shirley Bassey was AWESOME. But what happened to the whole thing that was announced where they were going to bring out all six of the Bond actors? That would have been so cool. I'll bet it was Connery that fucked it up.

- Who beat up K-Stew? I will kill them, and I will rescue her.

- Thought MacFarlane was damn good. The highlight of his night for me was the "We've seen your boobs" gag. That shit was funny. He had a number of other good one-liners as the night went on.

- Can't believe J. Lawrence actually fell. It totally threw her off, too, as she rushed her speech and seemed way flustered after. Understandably, but still. Cute, though. And good for her. Although I would have rather seen Chastain get the upset win.

- DDL brought the jokes! Another fine speech.

Yeah I thought Seth was better than any host in quite some time. Only Jon Stewart was funnier.

Hard for me not to root for Lawrence. Just love her attitude. She's hilarious in the post-show press conference:

Jennifer Lawrence wins best actress Oscars 2013 - YouTube

Best moment of night for me was Ang Lee winning. I got to shout "Suck it, Spielberg!" at the screen, and the standing ovation and loud cheering was unexpected. So glad that the film was at least recognized for the pure filmmaking magic on display.

Kushner probably should have won for his script. If the film was too dry for some, that's really the director's fault.

Tarantino was a welcome winner, but I agree with Ashley that he would be better recognized for his direction, which for me is where his true brilliance lies.

DDL is a god among men, but I do feel like Joaquin gave the more fascinating perf this year. Unlike anything else I've seen since young Brando.

A real shame that Zero Dark Thirty only one won award, and certainly not a major one.

Kushner probably should have won for his script. If the film was too dry for some, that's really the director's fault.

I thought the film had terrific dialogue that, along with a clutch of spirited performances, cut through a drearily-lit and potentially drowsy film. Kushner's screenplay did a fantastic job of keeping me engaged, while the writing in Argo was one of the weakest aspects of it. At least Silver Linings Playbook didn't win; that film was decent in spite of the writing.

Sorry, DDL is the only to win straight best Actor.

So the others won gay best actor? :wink:

What I saw (my power went out during the Shatner bit and was out for half an hour), I thought MacFarlane was pretty good. I was quite amused by his introduction of Meryl Streep.

No need for Michelle Obama to be involved whatsoever.

So happy Christoph Waltz won! :hyper: I was looking forward to the Bond montage but sadly it was super-boring. Really liked the performances from Adele and the Les Mis cast. Not a big fan of DDL and I have zero desire to see Lincoln, but he gives a great classy speech for sure.

Don't forget Spader pratfalling out on the Capitol lawn while running to the White House! Terrific!

I thought the only thing worse than MacFarlane was the Paul Rudd & Melissa McCarthy thing, whatever that was.

?

He was the only thing that was amazing/good about the movie.

He wasn't amazing though, he was Daniel Day Lewis, who is inherently an amazing actor. He didn't add anything to that particular legacy with this role, does that make sense?

Don't forget Spader pratfalling out on the Capitol lawn while running to the White House! Terrific!

I absolutely loved James Spader in this. He was pretty much Alan Shore with a mustache, and it was fantastic.

Thought this was worth posting, even though I don't agree with all its sentiments necessarily. The core of the thing is correct, and there's a fundamental misunderstanding in the industry regarding a lot of its facets of production, like this. But the pointed animus towards Lee feels a bit misguided. I think there's a place to meet half way here. I'm sure Ang Lee has at least a minor misunderstanding as to certain facets of workflow and financing and whatever, but his quoted comments here mostly seems to reflect a slight difficulty in expressing himself properly, as I've always felt despite his working in Hollywood a while now his English is still far from perfect. But playing off the guy's speech with the JAWS music WAS incredibly fucked up.

An Open Letter to Ang Lee | VFX Soldier

So does that make DDL the best actor in Hollywood of all time ? No one else won 3 times ...

surprising to see Affleck and Spielberg both missing out on Best Director.

surprising to see Affleck and Spielberg both missing out on Best Director.

Spielberg at least got a nom

Spielberg lost to Lee's Brokeback Mountain win
and Munich is light year's better than Lincoln

awhile back, I concluded a nom is more important than a win,
to have only 9 noms for best picture, leaving one slot open with The Master off the list and Beast Girl movie on it is far more troubling to me.

I think DDL was amazing in Lincoln. It's an award for best performance, not most improved or unexpected or what place or role it has in your career. People always expect it from Meryl Streep and she keeps winning. Bradley Cooper, I'd be very surprised if he ever gets another Oscar nom. I think his acting is so wooden and I don't find him attractive at all (I know that's irrelevant, but he's touted as being so attractive..and to me that doesn't even translate in movies either. Or off screen. No appeal, no charisma for me). When I saw the movie I thought Jennifer Lawrence made him look like he could act. We'll see, maybe he will grow as an actor.

I was really surprised by the Ang Lee win, I saw Life Of Pi and I think it was quite an achievement. Maybe his win was due to Spielberg resentment/jealousy/fatigue.

DDL is such a humble, soft spoken guy. Seems like a true gentleman. It was tough to stay up but I did just to see him win. And Ben's speech was heartfelt and emotional.

I would have voted for Jessica Chastain over Jennifer. And I know she works for Dior now (with those hideously photoshopped ads), but why on earth would they give Jennifer that dress that made her fall? Second time now with an issue with a Dior dress. At least have a guy to help her up the steps. It's right in line with her personality though, she looks like a princess but talks and acts like a real girl. And sometimes a drunken sailor-but that's so refreshing for Hollywood.

As for the dresses- I loved Jessica Chastain, Naomi Watts, Jennifer's dress was beautiful in spite of it all (and I loved her hair and jewelry), and Jennifer Garner. Wow, her necklace was incredibly beautiful too. Also, Jane Fonda looks amazing. Really stood out in the yellow too. She's 75. Also Charlize Theron-she is so amazing looking that it practically brings tears to my eyes :wink: With that short Mad Max hair too, even more stunning.

Overall the show was much too long as usual, and too many musical numbers. But I did love that the awards were spread around, it's so boring when one movie wins everything.

Helen Hunt wore an H&M dress-with 700 grand worth of diamonds. I thought that was cool, but there's talk that she was probably paid by them to wear it. They're launching some sort of "red carpet" collection and they want to promote it. Oh well, they're all paid in one way or another. Designer freebies and favors, contracts, etc.

helen-hunt-3_4_r536_c534.jpg

sorry complainers, but Seth actually did a decent to good job last night

this is a hard show to do. there are certain requirements that have to be met, and those boring parts were not as bad as previous years

but of course we have the wisdom of twitter with 2-3 second reactions from opinion makers and trend setters, well fuck these losers

the real score is in

Last night’s Oscars were up 19% from the 2012 Academy Awards, according to fast national ratings. The Seth MacFarlane-hosted ceremony on ABC pulled in a 12.1/28 on Sunday in the adults 18-49 demo. Last year’s Oscars, hosted by Billy Crystal, got a 10.2/23 in fast nationals from 8:30-11 PM ET; those ratings eventually rose to 11.7/27 in the final numbers. Sunday’s pre-show, Oscars Red Carpet, was also up from last year. Over half-hour increments, the arrivals broadcast rose 4%, then 8%, and finally 14% from last year’s 7-8:30 PM ET show. We’ll update the Oscar ratings and viewership numbers when we get them later today.

Oscars 2013 TV Ratings -- Up 19% Over 2012

fucking word :up:

welcome to the real world, cry baby, good luck getting your next job

the world is cruel, whining about being laid off, won't get you hire

the two producers for the winner in the animation film, Brave included the woman that Pixar fired 1/2 way through with her replacement, the guy in the kilt. She had enough class not to whine, someone should hire her.

sorry complainers, but Seth actually did a decent to good job last night

this is a hard show to do. there are certain requirements that have to be met, and those boring parts were not as bad as previous years

but of course we have the wisdom of twitter with 2-3 second reactions from opinion makers and trend setters, well fuck these losers

the real score is in

Oscars 2013 TV Ratings -- Up 19% Over 2012

Even though I kinda hate Family Guy, I feel like McFarlane is a good choice for Oscar host. He 'gets' the show business aspect. Some of his joke fell flat (some I laughed out loud), but it was a good mixture of new cut throat humour and old timey show business dance routines. He's got a commanding voice too, even though it's hard to separate from Brian

welcome to the real world, cry baby, good luck getting your next job

the world is cruel, whining about being laid off, won't get you hire

the two producers for the winner in the animation film, Brave included the woman that Pixar fired 1/2 way through with her replacement, the guy in the kilt. She had enough class not to whine, someone should hire her.

hahaha oh deep

Even though I kinda hate Family Guy, I feel like McFarlane is a good choice for Oscar host. He 'gets' the show business aspect. Some of his joke fell flat (some I laughed out loud), but it was a good mixture of new cut throat humour and old timey show business dance routines. He's got a commanding voice too, even though it's hard to separate from Brian

every year with this show there is something to nit pick

I would have a harder time defending the Franco / Hathaway hosting.

The Golden Globes dose not have the same requirements, so that show seems better.

it was more the source than the actual comment

well that is just wrong,

we should limit our remarks to the post, sometimes I pretend someone else wrote the post, to see if my response is about the argument / idea presented or about my personal feelings, which will only lead to pettiness.

Let's pretend all comments are from a central, autonomous post generator

(my comment stands. If you were active in a thread that criticized posting of pictures objectifying men, I'd have the same thing to say about you)

But you'd be a far greater asset to humanity if you'd find some more side boobs for us to look at... go... now!

I am a bot, assigned a personality, created by three high school students in Singapore for a science project

(you are still wrong, a man wishing to enter a pissing contest should not go into a stable)

Back
Top Bottom