Oscars Talk Thread 2013: It's a big night for Affleck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
INTERFERENCE INSTA-POLL

Seth MacFarlane predictions

Will he beat Billy Crystal's hosting?

INTERFERENCE INSTA-POLL

Seth MacFarlane predictions

Will he beat Billy Crystal's hosting?

Crystal's borscht-belt schtick was always tired. I liked him in the SNL days but the preening and the idiotic songs were juvenile.

MacFarlane is a breath of fresh air IMO, and people who think he's going to do Family Guy voices all night are sorely mistaken. He's really hungry for wider acceptance and credibility. If anything he'll turn off younger fans because he's really into show tunes and the telecast is likely to be music-heavy and old school. Hopefully he'll retain enough irreverence to make it funny as well.

Oooh going down the ballot I didn't pay close attention to the Best Supporting Actor category. Hoffman, De Niro, and Waltz are all solid choices. I'd give it to Hoffman, but I'm good with either of the other two as well.

I haven't seen some of the Supporting Actress movies like Les Mis, but between Sally Field, Amy Adams and Jacki Weaver I'd give it to Adams.

One movie I DON'T want to win is Argo for Best Adapted Screenplay.

I don't like any of the supporting actress choices. Wish I'd seen that Helen hunt film. There was an ad for it before Beasts of the Southern Wild and it looked adorable.

I've decided to avoid twitter tonight. A live blog, maybe, but twitter will be nightmarish.

the question is, how much Ted will we get tonight?

I guess when they chose him and with 10 nominees, they they thought Ted would get the obligatory comedy nomination

I don't like any of the supporting actress choices. Wish I'd seen that Helen hunt film. There was an ad for it before Beasts of the Southern Wild and it looked adorable.

GAF will be glad to hear this, but I thought Emma Watson was fantastic, perhaps even nomination-worthy, in Perks Of Being A Wallflower.

Bae Doona from Cloud Atlas was better than anyone in this lineup.

It took a second viewing of The Master for me to really appreciate it.
The first time I could only see where it fell shout of other P T Anderson films.

But comparing it to other 2012 releases, it stands out in front of most everything, else. Some of these noms go from questionable to terrible. I guess I watch just to see how many grammies will be given to Milli Vanilli tonight.

GAF will be glad to hear this, but I thought Emma Watson was fantastic, perhaps even nomination-worthy, in Perks Of Being A Wallflower.

Bae Doona from Cloud Atlas was better than anyone in this lineup.

Yes, I think Cloud Atlas is the film I enjoyed most this year. And I really don't like the part with Zackry and Old Georgie much at all. On repeated viewings, they bothered me less and the rest was still great.

I have it somewhere in the Top 5. I was hoping to catch it again and bring more friends but it never went to the cheap theatres--just straight to oblivion, and a home video release date hasn't even been announced yet.

Turned Perks off after 30 minutes. What horseshit. Watson is always lovely though.

I might have done that too if I tried to watch it at home. I watched it in a theater and liked it quite a bit. I don't think I was the demo for it.

As for home viewing vs theater. I started LVT Antichrist last night on my cable onDemand and lost interest. I am usually a big fan of his work. I loved Melancholia, went back for a second viewing. I think if I went to a theater I would have sat through Antichrist and maybe appreciated it like many others.

I know many films are as powerful on TV as in a dark theater without any distractions. The Artist in a silent crowded theater was amazing, I went back a couple of times. Watching it on a TV in a few years, people will not understand why it deserved to win best picture.

I have it somewhere in the Top 5. I was hoping to catch it again and bring more friends but it never went to the cheap theatres--just straight to oblivion, and a home video release date hasn't even been announced yet.

Top 5

I would put that and The Master,

I like Django a lot, but with QT, I think Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown are his best, they rely more on good story telling, the others I have liked, exploitation films are great fun but not necessarily great art.

Of the three BPs left I haven't seen which is the one to squeeze in right now that has a legitimate chance at winning awards tonight:

Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi
Les Miserables

I'm leaning towards Life of Pi.

none are going to win

ZDT, is the most popular. I only like the reenactment of the attack, last 45 minutes. Everybody else likes the whole film.

Pi is a good pick, too. It is absolutely beautiful to look at. Many people don't like the ending. I think it is fine. I read the book. There is only one ending for me.

Les Misérables is worth seeing, good production values, and I do believe this film is much more enjoyable on a big screen, with better sound even though some of the singers and not that good.

So choose one today, and try and see the rest latter. Les Misérables, she will win supporting actress.

Life Of Pi has a great shot at Director and is likely to win the most overall awards tonight.

So, that one.

But Zero Dark Thirty is probably the most "important", and would possibly be the Best Picture winner had it not been unfairly attacked by so many journalists and government representatives.

Life Of Pi has a great shot at Director and is likely to win the most overall awards tonight.

So, that one.

But Zero Dark Thirty is probably the most "important", and would possibly be the Best Picture winner had it not been unfairly attacked by so many journalists and government representatives.

Yeah I was referring to overall awards, as I don't expect any of those three to win BP.

I'll see ZD30 at some point soon, but I want to know why Pi picks up the number of awards it sounds like it will tonight.

Thank ya.

no kidding, I take too many opinions from here as consensus unconsciously.

Then I'll realize it's just like, two people on a U2 message board's opinion and mentally slap myself.

Anne Hathaway, I expect her to win, I hope she wears this gorgeous brown satin dress.

145519d1233017470-anne-hathaway-abbot-awards-brown-dress-annehathaway_mrabbottawards_2005_001.jpg

Sorry deep. No woman in Hollywood wears the same dress twice.

Back
Top Bottom