Oscars Talk Thread 2013: It's a big night for Affleck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
renee-zellweger-2-74848.jpg

make fun of squinty all you want. i thought she looked great

"You look like an old girlfriend of mine."

"Do I look like a new girlfriend?"

J-Law IN CONTROL.

I love her. I just do. She's real, cool, down to earth. She's not like, "hey I got an Oscar, I'm already a legend!" Nah, she's great.

any Canadian that stills wants to bitch about Argo can seal themselves up in a drum and dump themselves into the ocean

I can't imagine going through life being as easily offended as that person, but sadly their article was funnier than MacFarlane usually is (i didn't actually watch the oscars, I think I've seen maybe a cumulative 30 minutes of the show in my entire life. Nor did I see any of the movies nominated, I'm just kind of bored at work right now and this thread seems to be getting more action than any others around here). Unintentionally so, but still funny. The fact that anyone could connect current gun control debates to a Lincoln assassination joke and deem the joke outrageously tasteless in that light is hilarious to me. Siting down must be awfully painful with such a large stick up one's ass. I personally find McKinley assassination jokes to be much funnier, alas no one made a movie about his presidency last year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think MacFarlane was that bad. Some of his jokes made me roll my eyes and shake my head, like the one about Jessica Chastain's character in Dark Zero Thirty and Adele.

I didn't think Ted asking about the orgy was horrible; I thought it was a funny poke at Hollywood and Jack Nicholson, who's Lothario ways have been well-known for decades. The Israel joke made my jaw drop because it had me thinking that someone was committing career suicide in Hollywood.

As for the "We Saw Your Boobs" song, well some of it was unwarranted. I didn't think it was right to mention toplessness that were part of rape scenes - that wasn't funny. But I liked how MacFarlane referred to Kate Winslet's long list of nude scenes in almost all of her movies, because she is well known for that, and I am not a fan of her anyway :shrug:

But that song to me was more like a frat-boy sense of humor, which had me rolling my eyes. I also saw it as America's squeamish and juvenile behavior to nude scenes in movies. And also, when a frat boy type of guy sees naked breasts in a movie - or even on TV - he's not going to think, "Wow, this is really artistic and is a big part in this scene." He's going to think, "BOOBS!"

Straight men like breasts, what can I tell ya?

ETA: About that Rihanna joke, I don't see it as misogynistic - just an expression of how baffling it is that a woman who is financially independent will stay with a man who landed her in the ER. Yes, domestic violence and battered women's syndrome as complex, but from the outside, it can make many confused.

Back
Top Bottom