Oscars Talk Thread 2013: It's a big night for Affleck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Seth sucked because I DO have a sense of humor.

All the jagoff Family Guy fans in comments sections everywhere are trying to pretend the only people who hated it were old people. I felt like the jokes were older than Seth himself. lololol Chris Brown beats women lololol Adele is fat hey how about airline food?

I felt like the jokes were older than Seth himself. lololol Chris Brown beats women lololol Adele is fat hey how about airline food?

Well, ya, but there were a few good ones thrown in there. But you're right.. had it gone any longer we might've got "take my wife.... please"

The bit about Jessica Chastain and women never letting anything go was both tragically lazy and yeah pretty funny.

Seth is more of a cheesy variety show kind of guy than stand-up comedian. I wasn't expecting Louis CK but he would have done better focusing on material relevant to the evening, which he did he did once in a while.

All the jagoff Family Guy fans in comments sections everywhere are trying to pretend the only people who hated it were old people. I felt like the jokes were older than Seth himself. lololol Chris Brown beats women lololol Adele is fat hey how about airline food?

you are going to be a minority opinion on this one, of course it does not mean you are not right from you point of view, and this is subjective

but in the overall picture, Seth wins

Some critics skewer MacFarlane, but Oscars' ratings up

I missed the part about him saying Adelle is fat? of course she knows it, she is a fat girl along with being very talented, bully for her.

She does not have to be a fat girl, Jennifer Hudson was a fat girl with talent, now she is not fat with talent.

you are going to be a minority opinion on this one, of course it does not mean you are not right from you point of view, and this is subjective

but in the overall picture, Seth wins

Some critics skewer MacFarlane, but Oscars' ratings up

I missed the part about him saying Adelle is fat? of course she knows it, she is a fat girl along with being very talented, bully for her.

She does not have to be a fat girl, Jennifer Hudson was a fat girl with talent, now she is not fat with talent.

The Adele fat joke was when he said "rex reed will be on to criticize you next," after get performance, referring to a time fairly recently when he insulted someone for their weight, I can't remember who now.

Let's pretend all comments are from a central, autonomous post generator

But you'd be a far greater asset to humanity if you'd find some more side boobs for us to look at... go... now!

I have nothing germane for this thread, and I have managed to stay out of the Star Wars thread, I also think ink is best on paper. However this image almost got posted there

The Adele fat joke was when he said "rex reed will be on to criticize you next," after get performance, referring to a time fairly recently when he insulted someone for their weight, I can't remember who now.

yeah, I heard "Rex Reed"

that sounds more like a dig at Rex Reed for being an ass

and as I said, I am sure Adelle knows she is fat as does everyone else and she still is loved,
I loved her acceptance speech, she seemed very sincere and humble.

Somebody at The Onion needs an ass kicking

I am not a fan of this movie, but picking on kids is so not cool

Quvenzhane%20Wallis%20Reuters%20660.JPG

Satirical website The Onion has apologized following a tweet it sent out about 9-year-old Oscar nominee Quvenzhane Wallis.

During Sunday’s Academy Awards broadcast, the official Onion Twitter account posted a harsh message about the “Beasts of the Southern Wild Star” that has the Twitterverse up in arms.

“Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a cunt, right? #Oscars2013,” the tweet read.

But users immediately came to Wallis’ defense, slamming the satirical site for the “joke.”

And though The Onion deleted the tweet shortly after posting it, plenty of users managed to get screen shots of the offending message.

“The Onion was tasteless for that tweet. It’s never okay to use that word towards anyone, especially someone's child,” one user wrote.

“Calling a 9 year old child a c-word in one of the biggest nights of her life was going too far even for the onion. Classless,” another echoed.

Some users even pledged to stop subscribing to The Onion’s Twitter feed.

Read more: The Onion apologizes after it posts vulgar tweet about Quvenzhane Wallis | Fox News

Yeah Adele is great and I was glad to see her so warmly received. I just want her to lose weight for her health. I think she has a lot of great music ahead.

I totally get the joke behind that Onion tweet and I smiled, but yeah, they went too far with it. Which is, of course, the point.

kids need to be off limit, when she goes back to school kids may start calling her that, school kids have twitter these days

I don't think this is that much of an issue, I doubt the kid even understood the joke

Oscar host Seth MacFarlane also joked about the young star during the ceremony. Some found the quip offensive, albeit not to the degree of the outrage over The Onion's tweet. MacFarlane joked that "it'll be 16 years before she's too old for" George Clooney.

Seth is more of a cheesy variety show kind of guy

Yes, that's the description I was looking for. I think it's fitting for the setting. It's a bit rat pack-esque or something... maybe with a touch less class... more than a touch

It was Melissa McCarthy about whom Rex Reed was a total dickbag. And I too read it more as a slam on Reed than on Adele.

I generally like Family Guy and think McFarlane is talented, but I was disappointed with him. It wasn't even that it was juvenile or offensive (I mean, hello, I like Family Guy), much of it just wasn't funny to me.

So does that make DDL the best actor in Hollywood of all time ? No one else won 3 times ...

surprising to see Affleck and Spielberg both missing out on Best Director.

Yes, it's an irrefutable fact now.

I know you're being facetious, Lance, but I'd argue he's still second to Brando, who was just as much of a chameleon, yet didn't seem to need to work nearly as hard to achieve the results. Brando's voice wasn't as malleable, but he had a mastery of accents and was uncannily believable and natural in everything he did.

On The Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Young Lions, Last Tango In Paris, Guys And Dolls, Julius Caesar The Missouri Breaks, Reflections In A Golden Eye, The Formula, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, even Teahouse Of The August Moon (where he plays a Japanese man)...this range eclipses anyone else I can think of.

:up: And the boobs thing was just stupid and juvenile. It's just so funny when women show their boobs while playing characters who are being raped. Oh, and Jews run Hollywood, gay men like musicals, and women make themselves sick to be skinny for the Oscars. Oh so funny and original.

I liked The Sound of Music bit.

and was uncannily believable and natural in everything he did.

I'm no film historian, but did he not have the benefit of acting along side people still using the stilted method of acting, as was the fashion back then? As I understand it, Brando was sort of the guy who first broke that mould. So maybe I'm not disagreeing with you rather than asking if I have that right

Well Brando came from the Actors Studio, where all the other method actors trained. And it may seem stilted now, but was more natural than the generation preceding it.

Having said that, Brando's own teacher said he showed up already fully-formed and an innate talent, so he did break the mold in that way. That he thought acting was a worthless profession and acted off cue cards in the latter portion of his career only proves how much of a gift he had--he didn't give a shit, didn't learn his lines, and yet was still brilliant.

My DDL comment was more in mockery of the over-valuing of awards in general, but yes, he's a remarkable and versatile talent. One of the best working actors certainly.

Well Brando came from the Actors Studio, where all the other method actors trained. And it may seem stilted now, but was more natural than the generation preceding it.

Having said that, Brando's own teacher said he showed up already fully-formed and an innate talent, so he did break the mold in that way. That he thought acting was a worthless profession and acted off cue cards in the latter portion of his career only proves how much of a gift he had--he didn't give a shit, didn't learn his lines, and yet was still brilliant.

ah, cool. Thanks :up:

:up: And the boobs thing was just stupid and juvenile. It's just so funny when women show their boobs while playing characters who are being raped. Oh, and Jews run Hollywood, gay men like musicals, and women make themselves sick to be skinny for the Oscars. Oh so funny and original.

I liked The Sound of Music bit.

I thought you were a gay-friendly person

Oscars 2013 Bring Gay Surprises And The Best 'Divas Live' Performances Ever

Full of exciting performances and celebrity spotlights, this year's Oscars proved to be not only an amazing awards telecast but one of the best Divas Live concerts in a long time. The opening number featured ambiguously gay host Seth MacFarlane singing an original song, "We Saw Your Boobs," which listed the many famous actresses who have bared their breasts on the big screen. Ironically, as the song reached its climax, MacFarlane was joined by the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles, who likely had no real interest in the jingle's topic.

Brave, with its strong feminist undertones, won for Best Animated Feature Film. I was pleased that Anne Hathaway swept away the competition and proved every queen's predication right with her win for Best Supporting Actress for Les Misérables. I also love Jennifer Lawrence and was happy to see her win the award for Best Actress for Silver Linings Playbook (and laugh off her awkward fall as she climbed the steps to the stage), but I was really rooting for the youngest actress ever nominated in this category, Quvenzhané Wallis, to win for Beasts of the Southern Wild. Still, Wallis received enormous applause when her name was announced, and she was recognized earlier in the evening with a sweet shout-out from MacFarlane. During his acceptance speech for his Best Actor win for the Tony Kushner-penned Lincoln, method actor and Hollywood veteran Daniel Day-Lewis thanked his wife for years of putting up with his multiple personalities at home. And to top it all off, a gorgeous First Lady Michelle Obama, surrounded by distinguished service members, announced the winner for Best Picture, Argo, live from the White House.

During the telecast we also had a Dancing With the Stars-esque segment in which heartthrobs Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Daniel Radcliffe, both LGBTQ allies, joined MacFarlane in a song-and-dance number, followed by Channing Tatum (Magic Mike) and Charlize Theron (Snow White and the Huntsman) channeling Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, with Theron sporting what may have been the best haircut of the evening.

For me, the biggest highlight of the evening was the phenomenal lineup of female vocalists, with live performances strategically placed throughout the telecast. Though I tuned in for the films, I kept watching because of these women. Catherine Zeta-Jones proved that she still has it as she performed "All That Jazz" from Chicago. Dame Shirley Bassey sang the title number from the James Bond classic Goldfinger, and Adele sang the current Bond theme, "Skyfall." There was even a rare appearance by the incomparable Barbra Streisand, who honored those featured in the In Memoriam segment, particularly her friend, the late composer Marvin Hamlisch, with a performance of "The Way We Were." But perhaps my favorite performance of the night came from Jennifer Hudson, who proved yet again why she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2007 as she showed off every bit of her vocal prowess and slayed the competition with a flawless rendition of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls, to a standing ovation.

Clearly MacFarlane and the Oscars' producers know how to entertain. I would even go so far as to suggest the inconceivable: that this year's Oscars ceremony trumped Beyoncé's Super Bowl halftime performance. Yes, queen, yes, this awards show may have been a gay man's campy wet dream, and I will be eagerly anticipating what is to come next year. The bar has been set!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randa...t-divas-live-performances-ever_b_2756998.html

working actors today that are capable of doing outstanding work;

DDL, Joaquin Phoenix, Christian Bale

also Michael Fassbender, Leonardo DiCaprio

I actually thought that MacFarlane did a decent job, at least as compared to last year which was beyond horrific and boring. Some of his jokes were old/predictable but there were a few times I actually LOL'd.

While we are talking about Bradley Cooper's looks, I thought he looked awful last night. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to pour a litre of gel on top of his head. Just brutal.

I expected MacFarlane to do something theatrical, that's his way. Big dance numbers, etc.

When he did, they were really lame and shoe horned in.

Thus my disappointment, for the most part. It wasn't his jokes I hated so much, though they weren't fantastic either.

I'm glad I'm several time zones away.

I really do not care and am kind of glad I missed the ceremony (for the first time since, like, 1993).

Of course, I cared enough to post this ...

While we are talking about Bradley Cooper's looks, I thought he looked awful last night. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to pour a litre of gel on top of his head. Just brutal.

I think he's a handsome fella, but I'm more gay for Fassbender

Did you intentionally try to find the worst looking, choppiest .gif of that moment on the entire internet? Or are you just that inept?

shit. i would have fell too if the stage was moving around like that

Back
Top Bottom