OSCARS - Acadamy Awards !! - do we even care???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only watch it for the clothes and jewels and to see if anyone makes a fool out of themselves. I love movies but I'm not into analyzing them. And I think comparing them for awards is kind of silly. I haven't seen The Artist but I'd like to now.

My best dressed/best overall look were

Penelope Cruz-loved the color and she just looked elegant, she always does

Milla Jovovich-wow. Hair and makeup were outstanding too

Gwyneth Paltrow-made such a statement and really stood out, I thought in a good way. So memorable.

Octavia Spencer-she really knows how to make her body look great and how to look elegant

Viola Davis-her body is just incredible, loved the color. That much breast showing is just not my personal taste but she can definitely carry it off

Michelle Williams-adorable/beautiful as usual. LOVED the bow pin at the waist

Tina Fey-rocked that dress and hair. I love her so I'm biased, but I think it's the best she ever looked.

Clooney-awesome. Brad-you need a haircut, it's not looking hot like Legends Of The Fall

Um...

Angelina-what was with the posing on stage? Was that a joke that I missed? I am honestly afraid for her, she is so scary thin

Why can't anyone put Meryl Streep into something that looks great on her? She's beautiful, doesn't have to look so frumpy and non modern

Rooney Mara looks the same all the time, but I do appreciate that she's herself and doesn't let them make her over. Don't care for her severe hair.

Billy Crystal, same old same old :yawn:

ps in the middle of all this Oscar talk, while I love Jolie, I wish she would stop posing so much, that dress she wore looked weird. She has become more and more posing type these days, and has she had a nose job or something? :sad:
I hear she stays thin cause Brad likes his women thin.

:crack:

and jesus woman, dress young! :angry:

Glenn Close's outfit was bloomin gorgeous!

Brad-you need a haircut, it's not looking hot like Legends Of The Fall

Um...

Angelina-what was with the posing on stage? Was that a joke that I missed? I am honestly afraid for her, she is so scary thin

This is awesome! :lol: :up:

Angelina's face looked almost plastic...

I know she's older but I'm sure there are people who would love to work with her on something smaller and edgier.

John Sayles said recently that he'd never had the opportunity to work with Streep and that she was top of the list of people he'd love to work with. Given how awesome his female characters generally are, that would be one sweet combo.

When Streep came on the scene in the 70s, she was one to watch

here she is in 1979 at age 30

woody-allen-e-meryl-streep-in-manhattan-26395.jpg

I was 23 then, so I watched her career, I know why people (in the acadmy) like her.
I also could not bring myself to go to a theater and watch her last 2 films, just terrible concepts.

one of her next films, should be better,
The other sounds like a Kramer vs Kramer, update. God help us.

taking a second look at Streep's win
the last time she won was 29 years ago, and that was for Sophie's Choice
very, very deserving and a very good movie.

and then she has won 8 Golden Globes,
so this 3rd Oscar for being in a crappy movie, well I guess I'm over it.

But, it would have been better if the upset win had been Michelle Williams, I expect to see a lot of more great work form her in the future.

Hot damn, Michelle.

Also worth mentioning that I am now fully aboard the Jessica Chastain train. Good golly.

oscars-arrivals48_m014ifpd.jpg

this picture reminds me of the scene in The Artist

a few frames before this one

jean-dujardin-_george_-and-berenice-bejo-_peppy_.jpg

yes, The Artist is that good, it really nailed the industry, then and even now.

taking a second look at Streep's win
the last time she won was 29 years ago, and that was for Sophie's Choice
very, very deserving and a very good movie.

Yes. As I recall it was a nail-biting contest between Streep and Jessica Lange (for Frances Farmer). They gave Streep best actress, and Lange the consolation prize of best supporting actress for Tootsie.

I wanted Jessica Chastain to win just so we could see her dress again.

I'm still amazed that Gwyneth ended up being my favorite of the night. Its simplicity is perfection.

Yes. As I recall it was a nail-biting contest between Streep and Jessica Lange (for Frances Farmer). They gave Streep best actress, and Lange the consolation prize of best supporting actress for Tootsie.

I wasn't watching back then, but I can't imagine it being a nail-biter considering what Streep had already won for that role:

Golden Globe
LA Film Critics
NY Film Critics
National Board of Review
National Society of Film Critics

That's pretty much running the table back in 1982, when there wasn't a million organizations giving out awards.

I wasn't watching back then, but I can't imagine it being a nail-biter considering what Streep had already won for that role:

Golden Globe
LA Film Critics
NY Film Critics
National Board of Review
National Society of Film Critics

That's pretty much running the table back in 1982, when there wasn't a million organizations giving out awards.

People were passionate about both performances and because Streep had won everything else, a lot of people were pulling for Lange and hoping for an upset. That was back when these things were nail-biters because we didn't have the Internet and were desperate for entertainment.

I tend to remember that way too.
It was a two person race. Streep may have had the advantage. But Lange had her champions, too.

A bit like last night, really only a two person race, if Davis won not very many people would have been shocked.

Back
Top Bottom