Oscar Nominations & Awards Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is it just me, or is it totally bollocks that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for best picture? it was better than every movie nominated.

on a side note, nice to see richard jenkins get nominated for The Visitor. that movie was pretty great.

Right, but there's only 5 slots! This year had too many notable performances to get them all in. And it's always going to be a bit biased in favor of Hollywood. I mean, the awards of other countries have a national slant as well.

The fact that an unknown like Cotillard could win, and for a film that wasn't even that big, says to me that anything can happen. You just can't expect a surprise like that every year.

It was a huge film, not surprising that she won at all given her performance, and she isn't an unknown either :huh:

The Oscars will always be the worlds biggest film awards, and because of that they should do more to scout out smaller films to find the best roles. Not just the most expensive films or directors or whatever. Then 'best actor' would actually mean best actor.

Unknown to most of the American movie-going public, I meant.

And it was still a small film, regardless of how successful it was in France.

I don't understand at all this idea that TDK is best picture worthy, what on earth....

The Reader - haven't seen it, but it was a really cloying, mediocre book. And so obvious with respect to outcome that I expect it must be even worse in movie form. But I love Kate Winslet and I would be perfectly happy with her winning.

I think Sean Penn should win, but probably won't. And Slumdog shouldn't win, but probably will.

Unknown to most of the American movie-going public, I meant.

And it was still a small film, regardless of how successful it was in France.

I don't mean it was just big in France - it was 'big' in a lot of countries, had a large budget and a large subject matter.

Again, doesn't matter. It was a small film in the U.S., where the Oscars are based, and where popularity often carries a lot of weight. It only cracked $2 million, which is decent for a French film, but not exactly a breakout hit.

Well, like I said, if the Oscars are only capable of judging the biggest of foreign films then how the hell has it earned this status of being the worlds biggest film awards?

I'd rather win the Palme D'or :madwife:

Right, but there's only 5 slots! This year had too many notable performances to get them all in. And it's always going to be a bit biased in favor of Hollywood. I mean, the awards of other countries have a national slant as well.

The fact that an unknown like Cotillard could win, and for a film that wasn't even that big, says to me that anything can happen. You just can't expect a surprise like that every year.

This is true, and seeing Richard Jenkins in over Clint makes me smile.

Well, like I said, if the Oscars are only capable of judging the biggest of foreign films then how the hell has it earned this status of being the worlds biggest film awards?

I'd rather win the Palme D'or :madwife:

What else is there to compete with it? Even if the Oscar process is incredibly flawed, it still carries more weight to it than the Grammys or Emmys combined.

When something like Frost/Nixon, a solid and entertaining enough film, can be nominated for Picture, Director, etc... "just because," then it's a sign none of this will ever change. Some of the "greatest movies of all-time" didn't win Best Picture, or even got nominated. Doesn't matter too much to the public 50 years from now, does it?

In the Original Song category, Music Branch members shall meet to screen clips of the eligible songs and vote on the achievements. A DVD copy of the song clips will be made available to those Branch members who are unable to attend the screening and who request it for home viewing. Voting shall be conducted as follows:
Nominations will be determined by an averaged point system of voting using 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5 or 6. Only those songs receiving an average score of 8.25 or more shall be eligible for nomination. There may not be more than five nor fewer than three nominations.
So The Wrestler didn't get a 8.25 or higher rating? Are you kidding me? Back to this little fella :rant:

"Little Person" from Synecdoche was my favorite Original Song, but that had little chance of being nominated either... same with "Dracula's Lament" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Very, very disappointed that Kristin Scott Thomas didn't make the list, :tsk: I don't think that Brad Pitt deserves a Best Actor nod by any stretch. Happy to see love for Heath Ledger, Robert Downey Jr and Frost/Nixon.

Is there a reason why Stephen Daldry's made 3 movies and gotten 3 nominations? He's like the Anti-P.T. and Wes Anderson.

I will take small consolation that it could have been worse: Miley Cyrus could have gotten a nomination with a Bruce snub.

*sigh*

I still think he did more than he's being given credit for, and that interview with Fincher that I posted goes into much more detail about his contributions.

Not saying it's one of the five best, but he's up there, and I doubt someone like Del Toro even had a chance.

I hope that Milk getting a Best Picture nod will mean it will finally start showing at more than one dumpy little theater in Seattle. Hel-LO, time to put it at the multiplex, people!

I hope that Milk getting a Best Picture nod will mean it will finally start showing at more than one dumpy little theater in Seattle. Hel-LO, time to put it at the multiplex, people!

Agreed. I have to wonder why, I did read something about the marketing of that movie and some sort of issues surrounding that. My suburban multiplex got Brokeback Mountain and no one died as a result...We got the trailer for Milk numerous times but still no movie.

How much better was Brad Pitt than Dev Patel?

I don't think Dev Patel was any better than Brad Pitt. He did a nice job, but I don't think he was the best thing in that movie.

I'm surprised at the Best Pic nomination for The Reader - apart from that I'm not too surprised. I'd like to have seen Bruce up for 'The Wrsetler' - but he has an Oscar already. No biggy.

What I am pissed off about is the snub to 'Australia'. So OK I'm not surprised by the no acting or director nominations (though the boy who played Nullah was great) - I am absolutely stunned that it didn't get a Best Cinematography, Sound or Sound Editing nomination. The sweeping look of the film, the absolutely awesome photography and some of the most vivid sound mixing I've ever heard in a cinema were just absolutely dismissed because the film stiffed in the USA. Yeah it was a three hour long cliche - but it looked and sounded amazing.

Something interesting about Slumdog is that it's the rare Best Picture frontrunner without any acting nominations. The last two to win without one were the two LOTR sequels, which you could argue had a nom for McKellen in the first film.

Before that you have to go all the way to The Last Emperor from 1987, which this film is certainly not.

So this might not be as big of a lock as everyone thinks.

Something interesting about Slumdog is that it's the rare Best Picture frontrunner without any acting nominations. The last two to win without one were the two LOTR sequels, which you could argue had a nom for McKellen in the first film.

Before that you have to go all the way to The Last Emperor from 1987, which this film is certainly not.

So this might not be as big of a lock as everyone thinks.

Milk and Benjamin Button have just as much of a chance as Slumdog, I think.

I would be a little bummed if Milk won. It's just so by-the-numbers, really doesn't do anything very unique stylistically, unless you consider that awful telephone scene innovative.

I would be a little bummed if Milk won. It's just so by-the-numbers, really doesn't do anything very unique stylistically, unless you consider that awful telephone scene innovative.

I've been a douche bag saying that for the past 2 months amongst my friends, but you know the Brokeback guilt is so predicable that it may actually happen.

Oh, and Nothing But the Truth (aka All the President's Women) absolutely delivers.

It would be a shame because Brokeback was 10x the film Milk could ever hope to be, and Ledger gave one of those all-time great performances you see once in a generation. It wasn't my favorite of the year (that would be 2046 and The New World) but out of the films nominated it should have been no contest.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Brokeback was definitely the superior film, but of those three this year I'd still like to see Milk win. I've already voiced my issues with Button, and while I enjoyed Slumdog, I really don't think it deserves the amount of praise it's gotten. Milk, while fairly conventional hit me as the most fully accomplished of the three just the same.

With Hugh Jackman as host I thought I'd point out hosts that were not American.

The last solo host that was not American -

Lawrence Grant (British) 1931

Some of the recent co-hosts that were not American -

Paul Hogan (Australian) 1987

Dudley Moore (British) 1983

Robert Shaw (British) 1976

David Niven (British) 1974

Michael Caine (British) 1973

oh ya.....Go Mickey Go!!!

Back
Top Bottom