Oscar Nominations & Awards Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is two years in a row where the winner of Best Original Song at the Golden Globes hasn't even been nominated in the same category at the Oscars. My boy Ed Vedder won Best Original Song for 'Guaranteed' at the Globes last year (we got jipped out of seeing what would have surely been an interesting speech because of the strike) and got the shaft from Oscar. Now Bruce this year. Strange, and uncool.

yes...why only 3 songs? anyone know?

I did a little bit of research into the Best Original Song category and, although there have been 5 nominees in the vast majority of recent years, there is precedent for this. There were only 3 song nominees in '05. So I guess it's just the Academy's call.

wow...It doesn't seem very fair...when and why they decide to nominate more than 3 songs...thanks for the research!

Wow. What a horrible year. This might be the most flat-out boring year for Oscars awards I can remember living through. Then again, this was a pretty boring year for cinema overall, so it's to be expected. Some of those nominations are just awful though.

Fortunately my shear joy for seeing The Dark Knight subbed for best pic nearly makes up for it all. Though they seemed all too eager to praise it in nearly every other category they could. I'm sure it will take most of the technical awards (unwarrantedly of course, just like every year).

Thank god I get to see Che in a few hours to wash the stench of Oscar off of me, at least for a short while.

The most important part of this years Oscar's:

Hugh Fucking Jackman is hosting. :combust:

hugh_jackman.jpg

This is two years in a row where the winner of Best Original Song at the Golden Globes hasn't even been nominated in the same category at the Oscars. My boy Ed Vedder won Best Original Song for 'Guaranteed' at the Globes last year (we got jipped out of seeing what would have surely been an interesting speech because of the strike) and got the shaft from Oscar. Now Bruce this year. Strange, and uncool.

i was thinking the same thing... first vedder, now bruce.

ponderous... you'd think those tree hugging hippies at the academy would LOVE to have bruce and eddie vedder perform at their show, let alone win the award.

i don't get it... then again three 6 mafia does have an oscar for best song, and randy newman once beat paul mccartney, so i don't know why i should expect their nominees to make sense.

Hugh Jackman's hosting? :scratch: Not some comedian like Ellen or John Stewart? Unless he's got some hidden comedy genius I currently know nothing about, I won't be watching :lol:

Hugh Jackman's hosting? :scratch: Not some comedian like Ellen or John Stewart? Unless he's got some hidden comedy genius I currently know nothing about, I won't be watching :lol:

He's hosted the Tony Awards 3 times now and apparently did a good job :shrug:

I don't know what to make of him hosting honestly... It's someone different, I'll give them that.

i don't get it... then again three 6 mafia does have an oscar for best song, and randy newman once beat paul mccartney, so i don't know why i should expect their nominees to make sense.

Three Six Mafia wrote a pretty damned entertaining song. And Randy Newman had lost like 10+ times in the past, so he was long overdue. Regardless, Paul McCartney didn't deserve it that year anyway (Enya for LOTR?), and as a solo artist he's not nearly as good a songwriter as Newman.

What are the chances of Heath Ledger posthumously beating out his competition for Best Supporting Actor?

about 99.99%, i'd say.

at least the acting races are interesting.

Meryl vs. Kate vs. Anne, and though everyone's talking about how it's Kate's year, i wouldn't be surprised if Meryl pulls through because if anyone deserves 3 Oscars, it's Meryl (not Nicholson).

also, Rourke vs. Penn will be good. a genuine comeback performance vs. another great Sean Penn performance with Timely Political Resonance.

Heath is a lock.

the awards that interest me most are usually the screenplay ones, but i'll have to take a closer look before i render any judgments.

I like the Richard Jenkins nomination. I forgot how much I liked "The Visitor" until I saw his name. Certainly a surprise, no chance of winning, but cool anyway.

I saw Doubt last night.

I think I have seen all the nominated films, except 2 or 3 of the foreign language films that have not been released in my area, yet.

There are no real WTFs for me. (except maybe, RDJr - tropic thunder, this is a great actor, who has done great work, this silly film and that role are not memorable.)

This is a subjective process.

Happy to see some Nixon/ Frost in there. Langella deserved the nom.

and the Bradageline noms, they both did great work.

The Changeling was Clint's better film. Torino is a throwaway, pop corn movie.

I do think Kate W was outstanding in The Reader and I don't think it is only a supporting role. I'd like to see her win over Streep.

Rourke does not deserve to win over Penn.

I am happy for Rourke's come back. He took himself out the first time. He admits that and blames no one but himself. He let a lot of us fans down. But, it was his choice and right. Now with this film, this cat gets a 10th life, after burning through his first nine.

I do think Kate W was outstanding in The Reader and I don't think it is only a supporting roll. I'd like to see her win over Streep.

Me, too. Much as I love Streep, I thought she was over-the-top. I guess she was supposed to be. In any case, I think it belongs to Kate.

But honestly, I don't care all that much about who wins, ever.

The Holocaust is just backstory in the Reader. It focuses more on post-war guilt of those living in Germany, rather than just the trial like the trailer makes it seem. That kid did a great job, even in speaking English which he had to learn to play the role.

That's cool. I still need to check it out, but I don't expect to love it.

A predictably disappointing nomination list :down:

If it were more predictable, the French chick would've gotten the nom over Melissa Leo.

I saw Doubt last night.

I think I have seen all the nominated films, except 2 or 3 of the foreign language films that have not been released in my area, yet.

There are no real WTFs for me. (except maybe, RDJr - tropic thunder, this is a great actor, who has done great work, this silly film and that role are not memorable.)

This is a subjective process.

Happy to see some Nixon/ Frost in there. Langella deserved the nom.

and the Bradageline noms, they both did great work.

The Changeling was Clint's better film. Torino is a throwaway, pop corn movie.

I do think Kate W was outstanding in The Reader and I don't think it is only a supporting role. I'd like to see her win over Streep.

Rourke does not deserve to win over Penn.

I am happy for Rourke's come back. He took himself out the first time. He admits that and blames no one but himself. He let a lot of us fans down. But, it was his choice and right. Now with this film, this cat gets a 10th life, after burning through his first nine.

Downey isn't memorable in Tropic Thunder? If The Soloist had come out last Fall, he would've gotten a nom for that... they just wanted to award him for something, and he was awesome in TT.

If it were more predictable, the French chick would've gotten the nom over Melissa Leo.

The French chick...? Which?

Am I the only person on earth who felt that the Jolie performance in Changeling has been completely overrated? I didn't mind the film, but her performance was at times quite cringe worthy for me. Sort of going through the motions, ticking all the boxes. Etc.

Me, too. Much as I love Streep, I thought she was over-the-top. I guess she was supposed to be. In any case, I think it belongs to Kate.

But honestly, I don't care all that much about who wins, ever.

:yes: I love Streep - but this hasn't been her best performance. Still pretty amazing when compared with most, but not her best.

The French chick...? Which?

Am I the only person on earth who felt that the Jolie performance in Changeling has been completely overrated? I didn't mind the film, but her performance was at times quite cringe worthy for me. Sort of going through the motions, ticking all the boxes. Etc.

"I want my son, back!!!" didn't resonate with you? Fucking Jolie.

What PGV said--are you referring to Kristin Scott Thomas? If so, SHAME ON YOU.

Best female perf of the year, easily.

I said it tongue-in-cheek, and I haven't seen it either, so there's that. I am surprising, however, that she or 'Ally 'Awkins. wasn't nominated... regardless of the quality of the performance, there's at least one "foreign" actress nominated.

I'm happy with the Best Actor/Supporting Actor noms, for the most part.

Michael Shannon and Viola Davis were solid in their short amount of scenes in their films, but is it enough to warrant a Supporting nom? It's like Beatrice Straight winning for Network, I just don't understand it.

No Charlie Kaufman, Woody, or Jenny Lumet for Original Screenplay is as egregious as no Nolan for Best Director.

Downey isn't memorable in Tropic Thunder? If The Soloist had come out last Fall, he would've gotten a nom for that... they just wanted to award him for something, and he was awesome in TT.
I was actually thinking about The Soloist.

I was wondering if this nom will lessen a chance for a nom next year.

Heck, he did better work in Ironman, and it was a much better film than TT.

and why did they want to nom RDJr for something?

What PGV said--are you referring to Kristin Scott Thomas? If so, SHAME ON YOU.

Best female perf of the year, easily.

Of the year? OF ALL TIME! ... I really rather liked that film.

"I want my son, back!!!" didn't resonate with you? Fucking Jolie.

"... he is not my son :ohmy: ."

Even that bit off the adverts makes me cringe!

It pisses me off that they nominate one forgeign actress, so there we go - the quota filled! I generally find foreign films far superior to Western ones and think they're bloody well under represented at the BAFTAs and Oscars.

Well to be fair, both Julie Christie AND Marion Cotillard were nominated last year, and were the two frontrunners. Not to mention the fact that ALL FOUR acting winners were from outside the U.S.

Well to be fair, both Julie Christie AND Marion Cotillard were nominated last year, and were the two frontrunners. Not to mention the fact that ALL FOUR acting winners were from outside the U.S.

That's not the point I'm trying to make, I don't think it should be some sort of competition (...) to get the most European actors in. I just wished smaller, foreign films were taken into consideration more often.
It's almost as though, because Marion Cotillard won last year, it HAS to be a big Hollywood actress this year.

If you get me?

Right, but there's only 5 slots! This year had too many notable performances to get them all in. And it's always going to be a bit biased in favor of Hollywood. I mean, the awards of other countries have a national slant as well.

The fact that an unknown like Cotillard could win, and for a film that wasn't even that big, says to me that anything can happen. You just can't expect a surprise like that every year.

Back
Top Bottom