VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:27 PM
I hope it will be Kate Winslet's year as well,

Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #93
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:27 PM
I'm tired and I don't want to type a lot now, so later I'll talk about the other nominations.

But it's a SHAME Wall*E and The Dark Knight not being nominated for Best Picture.

EDIT: There might be other movies that deserved too, but I'm talking about the ones with chances.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 PM
i finally saw "slumdog" last night.

that movie can win everything it's nominated for and it won't get any complaints for me.

i want to see it again. and again.

i walked out of it highly emotional and reminded of why i love movies, and why i do what it is that i do in the first place. it was the most visually dynamic and emotionally engaging film i've seen this year, easily, and it was brilliantly edited. the Best Editing Oscar is given out early-ish in the evening. if "slumdog" wins that, it will will the big prizes.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #95
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:27 AM
\random - is Slumdog appropriate for a 14½ year old? Not that she wants to see it, but... she might...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
\random - is Slumdog appropriate for a 14½ year old? Not that she wants to see it, but... she might...
There's quite a bit of violence including a torture scene, one character is sold into sex slavery, and there are a lot of other disturbing images. I don't have kids, though, so I don't really know what a 14 1/2 year old can handle.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i was surprised at how gritty it was, as i walked in thinking it was some sort of rags-to-riches romantic comedy thing.

the violence isn't explicit, but you know what happened, and it is often directed at very young children. if the 14 year old is mature, then i think it would be fine. there's way, way, way more violence in The Dark Knight, but this is much more unsettling.

it is absolutely an R, though.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #98
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i finally saw "slumdog" last night.

that movie can win everything it's nominated for and it won't get any complaints for me.

i want to see it again. and again.

i walked out of it highly emotional and reminded of why i love movies, and why i do what it is that i do in the first place. it was the most visually dynamic and emotionally engaging film i've seen this year, easily, and it was brilliantly edited. the Best Editing Oscar is given out early-ish in the evening. if "slumdog" wins that, it will will the big prizes.
Well said. I just hope that Slummy, Benji Button, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight clean up that night, then Mickey Rourke does a Ramjam all over that business.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I would say it's fine, but then again, I stopped censoring what mine saw when she was 11 or 12, and she turned out alright. Everyone's different in their approach, I suppose.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #100
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I would say it's fine, but then again, I stopped censoring what mine saw when she was 11 or 12, and she turned out alright. Everyone's different in their approach, I suppose.
Hah, I got the 'til 17 treatment, so you can judge the result now.

I think Slumdog is appropriate for a mature enough 14-year-old.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Hah, I got the 'til 17 treatment, so you can judge the result now.

I think Slumdog is appropriate for a mature enough 14-year-old.
Keeping evil from you has obviously made you depraved, and even more attracted to it!

Like I said, everyone has different approaches and comfort levels. With us, she was very mature for her age, had a level of understanding that some adults never achieve, she had a good grip on reality vs. entertainment, and we'd always discuss what we saw.

Funny, but the end result is that she probably became more self-censoring. To this day, she doesn't like horror movies, generally won't watch them at all unless it's very mild horror, and during some violent scenes in some movies, she cringes and covers her eyes.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe I'm showing my Europeanness, but I don't understand why it wouldn't be appropriate for somebody that old.

Then again, we were raised without bedtimes, without punishment or any real kind of restrictions, so it might be that.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #103
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Keeping evil from you has obviously made you depraved, and even more attracted to it!

Like I said, everyone has different approaches and comfort levels. With us, she was very mature for her age, had a level of understanding that some adults never achieve, she had a good grip on reality vs. entertainment, and we'd always discuss what we saw.

Funny, but the end result is that she probably became more self-censoring. To this day, she doesn't like horror movies, generally won't watch them at all unless it's very mild horror, and during some violent scenes in some movies, she cringes and covers her eyes.
That sounds legit to me, and will probably be the way I'll conduct myself around my younglings... unless I have an idiot child.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #104
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
unless I have an idiot child.
Ha, there's that too. Every kid's different. Fortunately, I had one that was very easy to raise, and I was able to raise her in much the way that Anitram described. With a different type of kid, I may have had to be a different type of parent, and put restrictions in place that I never had to concern myself with, with her.

It's a running joke between us that I never gave her anything to rebel against.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Maybe I'm showing my Europeanness, but I don't understand why it wouldn't be appropriate for somebody that old.

i don't want to give anything away, but let's just say that i found some events rather emotionally traumatic and my rather intense emotional reaction (i.e., tears) to the movie as a whole began when he ran into the blind singing beggar kid. i thought the violence implied was not only gruesome, but it was directed against very young children, and a less mature teenager might find that too unsettling. it's less about the depiction of life in slums -- or the sex trade, or violence against Muslims -- but how personally it's depicted that it might be too emotionally overpowering for some younger views.

but i've been described as a severed nerve, and i'm a pretty easy mark for emotional manipulation, so it could just be me and my sensitive homo ways.

anyway ... i downloaded the soundtrack this morning. highly recommended.

Tags
oscar nominations, oscars, the oscars