Oprah's Last Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maycocksean

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Anybody else watching the end of an era?

Today's episode was a horrifying spectacle that ran the gamut from mawkish sentimentality to creepy quasi-religiosity.

The idea was to "surprise Oprah." But really how do you surprise someone who knows every one and has everything. "OMG! Madonna. . .didn't I just see you last week?" I mean what can you really give her?

A terrible way to go out in my opinion.

And I say that as someone who generally has enjoyed most of Oprah's shows.

I really only watch if someone I like is her guest. But I do love a big pop culture event, so I'll DVR her final show.

Is it Wednesday? Is that the last one?

v31vrc.gif

Anybody else watching the end of an era?

Today's episode was a horrifying spectacle that ran the gamut from mawkish sentimentality to creepy quasi-religiosity.

The idea was to "surprise Oprah." But really how do you surprise someone who knows every one and has everything. "OMG! Madonna. . .didn't I just see you last week?" I mean what can you really give her?

A terrible way to go out in my opinion.

And I say that as someone who generally has enjoyed most of Oprah's shows.

I couldn't agree more-the most nauseating self indulgent self serving butt kissing session I've seen in a long time. If you read Kitty Kelley's book about Oprah (I haven't read the whole thing but my mother has it on her Nook and I've read portions of it), Oprah is supposedly only nice to celebrities so it fit in well with all of that. There is some juicy stuff in that book-if even a small portion of it is true then :eek:

I think they made it a "surprise" so that no one could directly blame it on Oprah. I have enjoyed many of her shows but I don't worship her or think she's anything like her carefully cultivated image.

The OWN Network-I tried it for a couple of days when it launched but I never watch it now. It's not very watchable. I do want to see the Sarah Ferguson show.

^She was plenty nice to Ralph Lauren last week. She about fell over herself complimenting him. My wife and I were cracking up because he seemed to be subtly one-upping her throughout the interview, in essence out-Oprahing Oprah at every turn.

For example:
O: So when you're here at the ranch do you feel like this where you are the most yourself?
Ralph: Oh, I'm totally myself no matter where I am. .
O: Oh, of course, right. . .

I only saw about ten minutes of the Ralph Lauren show-how over the top is that ranch? The wife's chaps too :rolleyes:

How about the last show yesterday? I wrote down every word and I'm going to carry it with me as my life guide. I confess, I started to tear up only at the dog part-that's just my own dog soft spot. The second celeb show was even worse than the first :barf:

How will the world go on?

Also-how did Stedman ever make a living as a motivational speaker? :yawn:

I only saw about ten minutes of the Ralph Lauren show-how over the top is that ranch? The wife's chaps too :rolleyes:

How about the last show yesterday? I wrote down every word and I'm going to carry it with me as my life guide. I confess, I started to tear up only at the dog part-that's just my own dog soft spot. The second celeb show was even worse than the first :barf:

How will the world go on?

Also-how did Stedman ever make a living as a motivational speaker? :yawn:

Funny, I had a choice between watching the second celeb show and a backlog of episodes from last week about her most memorable guests. I went with last week and it was well worth it--everything good about Opes as opposed to everything bad. The woman who came from that little African village and became a PhD. . .AMAZING!

As for the last episode, at first I was a bit skeptical--a whole hour of Opes preaching. . .? But it turned out to be really good, I thought.

I can't think of anyone on television that has had the kind of cultural impact and influence that Oprah Winfrey has.

I caught the last show which I taped. It was alright. I've watch Oprah from time to time over the years when a guest or topic of interest to me aired (like when Bono was on). I've never been a big Oprah follower, found I could only take her in small doses. She seemed too preachey and up beat to me with such a cult-like following. It was nice hearing her dedicate her last show to thanking her fans etc but it started to seem a bit much after about 20 mins. I subscribed to her Oprah magazine for a couple of years and really enjoyed that. I've watched a few shows on her OWN network, looks like there are a few new shows lined up to air so I'll check them out but I wish Oprah and her Harpo crew well, hope the new network venture is a success for them.

The woman who came from that little African village and became a PhD. . .AMAZING!

Yes that was a good one, I remember that woman from the other shows.

I just thought that a whole hour of the Oprah monologue was a bit much, even though she did make some very valid points. I like that you watch it with your wife :)

Oprah got huge ratings for the final episode of her talk show.

The preliminary numbers for the episode--in which Oprah shared some of the lessons she learned from her show's 25-year run--showed a 13.3 household rating. That's the highest-rated episode of the show since an edition called "People Shed Their Disguises" in 1994. That episode was the 18th most highly rated show in the history of the program.

The numbers capped off a stellar ratings week for Oprah. The two "Farewell Surprise Spectacular" episodes that preceded the finale also got big audience numbers.

Back
Top Bottom