Netflix Ups Their Prices/Pisses Me Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they are running a promotion

anyone that signs up for Qwikster will get a free case of New Coke while supplies last.

I really, really loved getting the DVDs by mail. But now I have cable, and streaming, and like 50 free Blockbuster box rentals and our video store rentals are only $1 a piece and a lot of them are 2 for $1, etc. Getting around to watching my DVD by mail movies is becoming harder and harder.

that letter is hilarious. two thumbs up. i don't understand why they're screwing themselves over like this. with the price increases and now splitting the company in two and not even keeping the sites integrated, wtf. now people really have no excuse to not just use the cheapest streaming site and the cheapest mail order site. and that's what people will do.

Haha that was funny.

Anyone ever cancelled their Netflix membership?

There's a questionnaire at the end, and they ask a series of questions about what you will do for movies and tv shows now that you aren't a Netflix customer anymore.

Some of the options:

Bootleg DVDs
Free Movie Streaming Sites like .......
Torrenting / Pirating Sites like.....

the last option for each question is "I will rarely watch (TV/MOVIES/ETC) at home"

Uh gee, which one ya think I should pick?

:huh:

Does anyone use xfinity's online streaming?
I'm a Comcast customer and can use it, but I've never tried it. I should and see how it compares to Netflix streaming.

The first thing I thought when I heard this, was man I hope Dish Network/Blockbuster rise to the occasion, and from the scheduling of an event to talk about streaming plans on Friday, and their hat in the ring to buy Hulu it seems they definitely have. Netflix has crashed and burned quicker than any other company in recent memory and will continue to do so in the near future, especially losing Starz next February. Hell, Research in Motion seems to be doing an A-OK job compared to Netflix.

I'm cancelling my account today before I get billed for it tomorrow. I just joined Blockbuster on Monday. I was okay with the price increase; I was only going to drop it down to a one-at-a-time. But there's no way in hell I'm joining Qwikster.

Even if they do change it back, as long as that CEO is still there, I won't rejoin.

Keeping the streaming, my Roku box is the family's favorite new toy of the last year.

Cancelled the DVDs, just get 'em from Redbox when I need them, half the time I have a promo code for a free rental anyway.

The thing is RedBox is only useful if you want to watch something mainstream and brand new, or straight to video crap. That's why I'm really hoping Blockbuster get's their ass in gear and combines streaming & DVD, what they should have done years ago, but now would have the market all to themselves.

The thing is RedBox is only useful if you want to watch something mainstream and brand new, or straight to video crap. That's why I'm really hoping Blockbuster get's their ass in gear and combines streaming & DVD, what they should have done years ago, but now would have the market all to themselves.

I've never used RedBox because of the selection. What would kill me about giving up Netflix, is losing the old, obscure and foreign DVDs.

Last edited:
I just searched for about 12 movies in a row on streaming, half of which I KNOW were there at one point, and not ONE of them was available to watch instantly. THAT seems a bit fishy to me.

I've never used RedBox because of the selection. What would kill me about giving up Netflix, is losing the old, obscure and foreign DVDs.

FWIW, before I quit Netflix, I started a membership with Blockbuster and painstakingly rebuilt my queue with them. They had all the movies I had in my queue, save for about eight. They had stuff that Netflix didn't even have, too. I've been dying to see Bataan for years and now I finally can!
I had a lot of foreign and offbeat documentaries that I never thought in a million years Blockbuster would have.

I will say I will miss all the NOVA ScienceNow shows (and similar titles) as I really liked to watch and re-watch them on the go from my phone. But you know what? I survived without streaming for years. I can do it again. :wave:
(And I have HBO Go now and whatnot :shifty:)

Does anyone use xfinity's online streaming?
I'm a Comcast customer and can use it, but I've never tried it. I should and see how it compares to Netflix streaming.

haven't looked too carefully at it, but after filtering out all the hbo and showtime i apparently can't stream because i don't have those channels on my cable package, it looks exactly like what's available for non-sub hulu (not to mention it's coming directly from hulu). i still don't watch nearly enough tv (and pretty much never watch movies) to care about any of this, and most of it is just background noise while i play video games. but i do kinda miss burn notice.

not that it matters
but most of you contributed to this
this was a calculated change to split off the dvd mail service

they would not want you to subscribe (in one account) to streaming and dvds at any price
this is only about one thing, Facebook

This.

I just searched for about 12 movies in a row on streaming, half of which I KNOW were there at one point, and not ONE of them was available to watch instantly. THAT seems a bit fishy to me.

I noticed this too. I don't know why they had to go and screw up a good thing.

What I want to know is am I going to lose my queue when they split up the two services?

OK, so Dish unveiled their Blockbuster package for Dish subscribers only, they seemed to indicate it would eventually be rolled out to non-subscribers, and it makes sense to test it out with a smaller sample, but damn this would have been the perfect time to score on the ire aimed at NetFlix if they offered it to the general public.

Back
Top Bottom