NBC late-night is changing in 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the changes that will be taking place on NBC's late night schedule this year. The big dates are as follows:

Friday, February 20th, 2009: Conan O'Brien will host his final episode of 'Late Night With Conan O'Brien'.

Monday, March 2nd, 2009: Jimmy Fallon will host his first episode of 'Late Night'.

Friday, May 29th, 2009: Jay Leno will host his final episode of 'The Tonight Show'.

Monday, June 1, 2009: Conan O'Brien will host his first episode of 'The Tonight Show'.

I'm sure Fallon will be terrible, but I'm quite curious to see how Conan's brand of humor will come off on the Tonight Show.

I think the more interesting story that is related to this is NBC's gamble in putting Leno in primetime every night. I understand their reasonings and the logic behind it, but I'm not sure it's going to work.

I think the more interesting story that is related to this is NBC's gamble in putting Leno in primetime every night. I understand their reasonings and the logic behind it, but I'm not sure it's going to work.

I guess they're hoping he'll lead in enough of the old Tonight Show viewings to stick around for Conan. He still, amazingly, draws the biggest ratings of any of the late night talk show guys, last time I checked.

Jimmy Fallon having his own show is ridiculous, even if The Roots are the house band. Holy shit.

Never liked Leno as a talk-show host. Big gamble putting him at 10:00pm every night. I watch ER on Thursday nights at 10 now, but I won't be replacing it with Leno after the final episode.

I just hope Conan's humor (often surrealist, always self deprecating) doesn't get toned down for the bigger audience by the suits. I don't really see how things like Masturbating Bear and Horny Manatee will find a place in the earlier time slot. Let's just hope the format doesn't change too much.

I just hope Conan's humor (often surrealist, always self deprecating) doesn't get toned down for the bigger audience by the suits. I don't really see how things like Masturbating Bear and Horny Manatee will find a place in the earlier time slot. Let's just hope the format doesn't change too much.

Letterman's move killed my interest in the show. Sure, I kept watching for a year or two, but eventually it was clear that it was not at all the show I had grown addicted to, and I stopped watching.

I hope that, for all Conan lovers, that this does not happen to him. As for Fallon, fuck. That time slot has been in such good hands for the last 20 years (Letterman to Conan) and now this clown gets it. Great.

I think Leno in prime will fail, but, I sure as hell could be wrong.

I loathe the idea of Conan going to LA to do that show.

I predict that it will not work.

If masses of people tuned in for Leno then I would think most of them would move to Letterman, who quite frankly these days is almost as banal as Leno. I predict they do try and get Conan to change the tone of his 'act' and within 3 years, he'll be back in NYC and maybe even doing a different show.

Jimmy Fallon...I don't see that working but who knows?

Why can't they just move The Tonight Show back to NYC like it was with Carson before 1972, and move Late Night to Burbank? Leno could stay in the same studio for his 10pm show, depending on their format/live audience plans. They could have Fallon go to LA or stay in NYC.

I suppose one answer is when Letterman came about in the early 80s it created ease knowing NBC could book and split guests between it's NYC late show and it's Burbank show. Letterman than moved to CBS as we all know while Conan built his NBC show into a popular one. NBC then maintained it's status quo it had in the 80s. So I guess the gamble is, NBC is banking on Fallon being successful. I just think it would make more sense to have Conan stay in NYC. Time will tell.

Yeah, I think the rationale for him going to LA is the LA/NYC split between the two shows.

And LA has more 'juicy' guests (generally speaking) in terms of the celebs that the paps are always chasing down, so that is the big number spot.

I just don't think he jibes well with that mood, at all.
And Max Weinberg and Robert Smigel are NYC guys, I wonder if they'll leave to go with him? I haven't heard.

Letterman on NBC was fucking awesome.
He hasn't been anywhere near as good on CBS in 15 years.
I fear the same for Conesy.

Yeah, I think the rationale for him going to LA is the LA/NYC split between the two shows.

And LA has more 'juicy' guests (generally speaking) in terms of the celebs that the paps are always chasing down, so that is the big number spot.

And Max Weinberg and Robert Smigel are NYC guys, I wonder if they'll leave to go with him? I haven't heard.

I remember Letterman on NBC. I LOVED it as a kid. I generally like his politics (unlike the fascistic nationalistic tendencies of Leno), but he's got to be the laziest talk show host around.

Conan used to be better in the mid to late '90s, though. Since the turn of the millennium, he's become a caricature and he overdoes things. He's very fake. I don't like him so much anymore. Also, he's quite cowardly on political matters like when he kissed up to Giuliani after 9/11 like so many Americans. I honestly don't think he's that smart a guy, Harvard degree and all. He also loves cheesie shows.

Letterman's early days on NBC were unreal. Insanely creative and risky. I was a complete addict.

I remember Letterman on NBC. I LOVED it as a kid. I generally like his politics (unlike the fascistic nationalistic tendencies of Leno), but he's got to be the laziest talk show host around.

Conan used to be better in the mid to late '90s, though. Since the turn of the millennium, he's become a caricature and he overdoes things. He's very fake. I don't like him so much anymore. Also, he's quite cowardly on political matters like when he kissed up to Giuliani after 9/11 like so many Americans. I honestly don't think he's that smart a guy, Harvard degree and all. He also loves cheesie shows.

Holy shit.

Wait, someone explain to me what is going on with Leno and primetime. 10 pm? In which time zone? I'm confused. What kind of show will this be? :huh: And why do the NBC execs feel the need to put this nonsense on the air?

squirrel2-258x300.jpg

Wait, someone explain to me what is going on with Leno and primetime. 10 pm? In which time zone? I'm confused. What kind of show will this be? :huh: And why do the NBC execs feel the need to put this nonsense on the air?

From what I've read (rumors), they were basically pushing him out and assumed he'd go quietly.

Then he started negotiations with (I believe, ABC) for a show (supposed to air before Kimmel and compete with Dave and Conan) and I guess these rumors spurred NBC to step in and offer him that new show.

10 Eastern, 9 Central, the hour before the local news.
Dating back to the Letterman/Leno/Carson debacle of 92/93, NBC is notorious for screwing the pooch.

And basically Leno is a gigantic douche, so I guess it's no wonder he'd do something like this.

I thought that initially Leno said a while back that he'd only be there til 2009 and then leave. And then he started talking to other stations interested in him / new show. I agree with HIAS that Conan should be/is probably pissed. I think his show needs to stay in New York too. Why does the Tonight Show have to be filmed here in S.Calif.?

I've never been a Leno fan and occasionally only watch his show if there's a guest on I really want to see. I'd not watch any other show Leno would move to, certainly not another show at 10pm. Aren't there enough late night news/talk shows on the air already?

Wouldn't it be nice if they gave Jay and Conan the boot and just played nothing but Johnny Carson reruns. These boobs don't hold a candle to Johnny.

Bumping this because Conan is about to finish up with Late Night. Watching right now. Only two more episodes of Late Night With Conan O'Brien after tonight.

I caught part of last night's show, came in at the masturbating bear and Carrie Fisher. I missed Colbert. :angry: Have to check YouTube when I can find the time. I'm taping tonight's episode.

Triumph was in rare form last night. :laugh: Loved when Spock came through flipping all the Star Wars nerds off :)

I think conan is making a mistake going to LA :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom