Mulholland Drive (I still don't get it)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
I watched Mulholland Drive again the other week and although I do spot some things that make this film a bit more clearer their's still a lot of it that makes no sense, in particular how the 2 characters swap places and what's the deal with those blue boxes.

Now I do like this kind of arty/unusual films that you've got to watch closely for you to understand them. They are my favourite type of films and I prefer them to rom-com's or films that are laden with CGI FX and poor on plot. I'm the only women I've come across who actually likes James Bond. I prefer the older films from the series and my favourite is From Russia With Love. In the 80's it went downhill although it improved in the 90's when Pierce Brosnin stared in the main role. However Mulholland Drive is confusing.

Gosh, I haven't seen this in years, but I remember spending many a lunch hours analyzing it with some co-workers...

There should be some decent websites with "explanations" if you google it...

I still dont even get Vanilla Sky, nor Momento.
:crack::crack:
I caught the 2nd half of Vanilla Sky on TV then I bought the DVD but I still haven't watched it yet. I know it was a remake of a Spanish film and remakes are usually inferior to the original. What I don't get is how Tom Cruise didn't see any parellels between the creepy new age spiritual organisation that he's character signs up to in the film and he's beloved scientology.

I would love to see more David Lynch films but they rarely show them on TV and when I see them on DVD they're usually expensive. It's the same for Wim Wenders and David Cronnenberg films or anything that's surreal. A couple of months back they did have Blue Velvet on ITV1 (this is a channel that usually shows nothing but reruns of Pretty Women, Cayote Ugly and Mission Impossible every couple of weeks), and I missed it. I could have kicked myself.

what I do love about Vanilla Sky is all the interaction between David and Sophia.

I would have to buy the original to understand, and I would rather rent. but you know how it is, fuking stores cease old classics. :down:

oh fuk girl I agree, ITV1 do keep showing repeats and repeats of same bloody movies! I bet Bridget Jones 2 will be on again, soon - AGAIN!

:doh:

Worst movie I've ever seen. And I've seen it twice, the second time in a film study class where I had to write an essay on it. I hated it more the second time around, and I really did give it a chance, too.

Worst movie I've ever seen. And I've seen it twice, the second time in a film study class where I had to write an essay on it. I hated it more the second time around, and I really did give it a chance, too.

You continue to hold such a special place in my heart.

Yes. After the first film I went out and got an explanation for what I had just seen, thinking it would make it a little bit better and it just didn't. It made it worse. The second time around I was actually into the film for the first 15 minutes and then it fell flat on its face and I couldn't wait for it to be over.

You're so
2sab3n4.gif
, I just can't stand it!

Make sure you get off that high horse soon, kiddo.

Memento is fairly straightforward if you break it down chronologically, Maddie.

Mulholland Drive is the only Lynch film I can say I love in a good way. Dune is hilarious though.

I'm excited for that and The Elephant Man... Wild at Heart and Lost Highway, not so much.

I loved this movie. Just saw it for the first time less than a year ago, thought it was fantastic. I posted about it here in the Reviews thread, saying that I also was a bit cornfused by the final act of the film...but I think our friend Lazarus swooped in and gave a pretty good interpretation of what went down.

I'm also a bit of a sucker for all things Los Angeles, so that added to my enjoyment of the movie. And I think Naomi Watts' performance is pretty brilliant.

Hey, I found it!

One interpretation is that Naomi as "Diane Selwyn" near the end is the reality, and that the whole Betty comes to Hollywood thing that makes up the first 3/4 of the film is a dream of how things COULD have been for her, and she projects her ex-lover into the story as a mysterious woman. Of course it's hard to attempt applying any kind of narrative logic, but this seems to be the one that most viewers lean towards.

Cactus Annie, I don't know if somebody's mentioned this before. David Lynch's movies are open for you to make your own interpretation of the film, that's what's so great about his films. Anyway... I'm glad to see that there's people who like this kind of movies and it seems that you have pretty good taste. I love this film and every other David Lynch movie. (I still have to watch Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me)

Wow...I remember watching this movie and immediately going on line to try to find out what the hell I had just watched! It has been so long ago, I do not remember where I was reading all the different ideas, but it somewhat made me even more confused reading all the theories...I do remember that I liked it, in a strange way, and I like David Lynch movies as well...(except, Eraserhead, which was his first, and IMO, most odd film of them all)...I agree with the Lazarus theory above as being one of the more logical ones.

Thank you GAF. When I looked on Wikipedia they gave the same interpretation that Lazarus has, that the first section of the film is a dream. When I get the time to see this film again I'll be able to watch it with this in mind. I'd love to see more of Lynch's films. I was really annoyed with myself for missing Blue Velvet when it was on TV. I'm going to check on YouTube so I can watch clips of Twin Peaks.

you need to rent Twin peaks and watch from start to finish...not just clips...it won't make any sense

Thank you GAF. When I looked on Wikipedia they gave the same interpretation that Lazarus has, that the first section of the film is a dream. When I get the time to see this film again I'll be able to watch it with this in mind. I'd love to see more of Lynch's films. I was really annoyed with myself for missing Blue Velvet when it was on TV. I'm going to check on YouTube so I can watch clips of Twin Peaks.

It's been a while since the last time I saw Mulholland Drive, but as I remember... I think that when Betty/Diane (Naomi Watts) grabs the little blue box and inserts the key in it, the dream begins. And the dream has all this characters from the people that she saw on the party at the directors house, Characters like the cowboy, and the dream is like the way things would be if everything woul've turned up well for Betty/Diane.

Anyway.. I hope this makes sense, because the last time I saw this film it was like 2 years ago.

You gotta watch Blue Velvet, maybe it's not that weird for a David Lynch movie, but it is a great movie.

It's been a while since the last time I saw Mulholland Drive, but as I remember... I think that when Betty/Diane (Naomi Watts) grabs the little blue box and inserts the key in it, the dream begins. And the dream has all this characters from the people that she saw on the party at the directors house, Characters like the cowboy, and the dream is like the way things would be if everything woul've turned up well for Betty/Diane.

Anyway.. I hope this makes sense, because the last time I saw this film it was like 2 years ago.

You gotta watch Blue Velvet, maybe it's not that weird for a David Lynch movie, but it is a great movie.

It's sort of the other way around. Everything after that point is the reality, and the recurrence of the characters that recur in the last third of the film are the real people she's come to know that wound their way into her fantasy presented earlier in the film.

It's sort of the other way around. Everything after that point is the reality, and the recurrence of the characters that recur in the last third of the film are the real people she's come to know that wound their way into her fantasy presented earlier in the film.

Oh yeah... sorry, I told you it's been a while since I saw this movie. But yeah I think you're right. I think I was mistaking wether it was a dream or a reality when she insterted the key into the blue box. Thanks for correcting it, I don't want to start confusing people more thatn they already are. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom