Mulholland Drive (I still don't get it) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Only if I get to dress up as the mysterious cowboy.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Memento is fairly straightforward if you break it down chronologically, Maddie.

Mulholland Drive is the only Lynch film I can say I love in a good way. Dune is hilarious though.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Inland Empire is waiting for you, YLB.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm excited for that and The Elephant Man... Wild at Heart and Lost Highway, not so much.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I loved this movie. Just saw it for the first time less than a year ago, thought it was fantastic. I posted about it here in the Reviews thread, saying that I also was a bit cornfused by the final act of the film...but I think our friend Lazarus swooped in and gave a pretty good interpretation of what went down.

I'm also a bit of a sucker for all things Los Angeles, so that added to my enjoyment of the movie. And I think Naomi Watts' performance is pretty brilliant.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, I found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
One interpretation is that Naomi as "Diane Selwyn" near the end is the reality, and that the whole Betty comes to Hollywood thing that makes up the first 3/4 of the film is a dream of how things COULD have been for her, and she projects her ex-lover into the story as a mysterious woman. Of course it's hard to attempt applying any kind of narrative logic, but this seems to be the one that most viewers lean towards.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that's pretty much the boiled down gist of how I interpret it as well.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Cactus Annie, I don't know if somebody's mentioned this before. David Lynch's movies are open for you to make your own interpretation of the film, that's what's so great about his films. Anyway... I'm glad to see that there's people who like this kind of movies and it seems that you have pretty good taste. I love this film and every other David Lynch movie. (I still have to watch Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me)
Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #24
New Yorker

Wow...I remember watching this movie and immediately going on line to try to find out what the hell I had just watched! It has been so long ago, I do not remember where I was reading all the different ideas, but it somewhat made me even more confused reading all the theories...I do remember that I liked it, in a strange way, and I like David Lynch movies as well...(except, Eraserhead, which was his first, and IMO, most odd film of them all)...I agree with the Lazarus theory above as being one of the more logical ones.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #25
Refugee

^^ I don't know which one is more odd, Eraserhead or Inland Empire. Maybe Eraserhead.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 12:26 AM
Thank you GAF. When I looked on Wikipedia they gave the same interpretation that Lazarus has, that the first section of the film is a dream. When I get the time to see this film again I'll be able to watch it with this in mind. I'd love to see more of Lynch's films. I was really annoyed with myself for missing Blue Velvet when it was on TV. I'm going to check on YouTube so I can watch clips of Twin Peaks.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #27
New Yorker

you need to rent Twin peaks and watch from start to finish...not just clips...it won't make any sense
Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
Thank you GAF. When I looked on Wikipedia they gave the same interpretation that Lazarus has, that the first section of the film is a dream. When I get the time to see this film again I'll be able to watch it with this in mind. I'd love to see more of Lynch's films. I was really annoyed with myself for missing Blue Velvet when it was on TV. I'm going to check on YouTube so I can watch clips of Twin Peaks.
It's been a while since the last time I saw Mulholland Drive, but as I remember... I think that when Betty/Diane (Naomi Watts) grabs the little blue box and inserts the key in it, the dream begins. And the dream has all this characters from the people that she saw on the party at the directors house, Characters like the cowboy, and the dream is like the way things would be if everything woul've turned up well for Betty/Diane.

Anyway.. I hope this makes sense, because the last time I saw this film it was like 2 years ago.

You gotta watch Blue Velvet, maybe it's not that weird for a David Lynch movie, but it is a great movie.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando- View Post
It's been a while since the last time I saw Mulholland Drive, but as I remember... I think that when Betty/Diane (Naomi Watts) grabs the little blue box and inserts the key in it, the dream begins. And the dream has all this characters from the people that she saw on the party at the directors house, Characters like the cowboy, and the dream is like the way things would be if everything woul've turned up well for Betty/Diane.

Anyway.. I hope this makes sense, because the last time I saw this film it was like 2 years ago.

You gotta watch Blue Velvet, maybe it's not that weird for a David Lynch movie, but it is a great movie.
It's sort of the other way around. Everything after that point is the reality, and the recurrence of the characters that recur in the last third of the film are the real people she's come to know that wound their way into her fantasy presented earlier in the film.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
It's sort of the other way around. Everything after that point is the reality, and the recurrence of the characters that recur in the last third of the film are the real people she's come to know that wound their way into her fantasy presented earlier in the film.
Oh yeah... sorry, I told you it's been a while since I saw this movie. But yeah I think you're right. I think I was mistaking wether it was a dream or a reality when she insterted the key into the blue box. Thanks for correcting it, I don't want to start confusing people more thatn they already are.

Tags
mulholland drive