Movies that make you cry:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
am i the only male on earth who thinks "Field of Dreams" is bullshit? no, seriously, i thought the whole thing was silly and i just can't get all that sentimental about baseball.

anyway, my tear-jerkers:

E.T.
Brokeback Mountain
The Fox and the Hound
In America
The English Patient

*raises hand*

Girl = has never seen Field of Dreams

Irvine511 said:
am i the only male on earth who thinks "Field of Dreams" is bullshit? no, seriously, i thought the whole thing was silly and i just can't get all that sentimental about baseball.

anyway, my tear-jerkers:

E.T.
Brokeback Mountain
The Fox and the Hound
In America
The English Patient

I think you need to listen to Terrance Mann's speech about how baseball unites the world and everyone loves it. Baseball is the greatest thing ever.

If you don't agree, I will use Dwight Schrute-style shunning on you. :angry:

Field of Dreams is also my #1 tear-jerker.

I say, if someone finds The Fox and The Hound more emotional than Field of Dreams, that is bullshit.

phillyfan26 said:

I think you need to listen to Terrance Mann's speech about how baseball unites the world and everyone loves it. Baseball is the greatest thing ever.

If you don't agree, I will use Dwight Schrute-style shunning on you. :angry:

i enjoy baseball. if the Red Sox are still alive whenever September rolls around, i watch. 2004 was emotional for me, but more because of my grandfather than anything. i enjoyed playing baseball when i was little. i enjoy going to baseball games. and i agree that baseball might unite American males and they love it.

but the world? nah.

and i just can't get sentimental about it. i thought the movie was preposterous -- ghosts and cornfields and the daughter choking was the most contrived thing ever and his wife was superannoying.

now, "Bull Durham" -- that's a baseball movie. love that movie because it's not really about baseball, it's about sex.

Lancemc said:
Field of Dreams is also my #1 tear-jerker.

I say, if someone finds The Fox and The Hound more emotional than Field of Dreams, that is bullshit.

Fox and the Hound is about race relations and how the two can't be friends because they are supposed to be natural born enemies.

and the scene where the old lady brings the fox back into the woods to let him go after nursing him back to health. devastating.

none of this ghost crap.

But Field of Dreams isn't about badeball either. Hell, I friggen hate baseball.

It's all about living with one's regrets and second chances. Seriously, the baseball aspect is a really, really small bit, merely just a setting.

I mean, sure, Terrance Mann does talk about the emotional effect baseball has on people near the end, but he might as well have been talking about the emotional effect of eating a good hotdog.

Maybe you should give the film a second chance?

i've seen it, like, three times. i've flipped by it on cable. and i don't get it. i really don't. it must be me, because it certainly has its fans.

Irvine511 said:

i enjoy baseball. if the Red Sox are still alive whenever September rolls around, i watch. 2004 was emotional for me, but more because of my grandfather than anything. i enjoyed playing baseball when i was little. i enjoy going to baseball games. and i agree that baseball might unite American males and they love it.

but the world? nah.

and i just can't get sentimental about it. i thought the movie was preposterous -- ghosts and cornfields and the daughter choking was the most contrived thing ever and his wife was superannoying.

now, "Bull Durham" -- that's a baseball movie. love that movie because it's not really about baseball, it's about sex.

No. The world. The whole damn world. It's all baseball. Terrance Mann made that clear. Don't doubt Terrance Mann.

[shun]

:wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:
Titanic...

Don't act like you didn't cry when the mother is tucking her two children into bed and telling them the story. :sad:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Titanic for the scene elevated just described - if you didn't tear up at that you're a heartless bastard.

I told my mom she didn't have a heart because she didn't cry ;)

Beaches

Steel Magnolias

Enough said.

Also, It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, and Yankee Doodle Dandy (an old movie about the life of George M Cohan with James Cagney).

Last edited:
dont ask but movie that tugs at me is Stepmom with Susan Sarandon adn Ed Harris. Gets me every time I watch it which is a once a year traditon around Christmas.

Armageddon (I know it's cheesy but I still cry EVERY TIME)
I cried the first few times I saw Stepmom
Titanic
The Notebook
I cried the first time I saw Love Actually

trying to think of more...

Oh boy...

The Passion of the Christ
Crash
Forrest Gump
The Notebook
Titanic
A Walk To Remember
Mystic River
21 Grams
I Am Sam
Dead Man Walking
Stepmom
Steel Magnolias
Pearl Harbor
Man on Fire
Angel Eyes
Life is Beautiful
Beyond Borders
Raising Helen
Frequency
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Rainman
Jerry Maguire
Remember The Titans
The Outsiders
Sybil

Yeah, there's probably more...:|

I almost cried during The Passion of the Christ because Mel Gibson had raped the art of cinema so badly and stolen my $8.00.

Lancemc said:
I almost cried during The Passion of the Christ because Mel Gibson had raped the art of cinema so badly and stolen my $8.00.

i got up from the couch, made a sandwich, made a phone call, used the bathroom, came back to the couch, and they were still torturing him.

yuck.

I'm a Titanic crier.

In America
any classic Disney movie
The Sound of Music (Sometimes I cry at happy/sappy things, too.)
It's a Wonderful Life (even if I'm only watching the last 10 minutes)
Rudy
Remember the Titans (damn those touching sports movies)
Amadeus
Hilary & Jackie

If it's remotely sad (or sappy), I'll cry. Or at least well up.

What in Amadeus made you cry? I love that film, but, am trying to recall what scenes might have lead to tears, unless it was just the joy of his music.

Field of Dreams is less about baseball than Bul Durham is, actually. I like both films, but, this thread is about movies that make you cry, not movies that are really about baseball.

English Patient, really?

Forrest Gump, Steel Magnolias, Terms of endearment, Titanic, E.T. I don't really sad cry that much watching movies, sometimes tears of happiness.

Last edited:
Transformers: The Movie made me cry a whole bunch when I was younger. Even as I got it older, it still made me tear up.

gangs of new york. the end especially gets me right before 'hands that built america'.

the lion king

No spoken words said:
If you watched the cartoon, then watched the first Transformers film and did not cry when Optimus died, then you, ironically, were the robot.

Taste my sad, Michael!

Back
Top Bottom