Movie Reviews (20)14: Modern Times Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ashley will probably add her two cents in on this at some point, but that was her immediate thought. It screams uneven film that got hacked up when it was edited down for theatrical release.

Is the ultimate cut overkill?

Last edited:
I just finished reading the comic last week and was prepared for the film to either 1) Change everything into an over-the-top completely off the plantation action film or 2) Soullessly try to encapsulate the comic and failing, because they left out the duality of the two main stories.

This movie was clearly the latter. Without the newspaper guy and the kid, there's no emotional impact to the ending. Seeing them at the end was almost a slap in the face.

If they're in more of the director's cut, I'll watch it in a heartbeat.

I wish I had a better image of this, but this is one of my favorite moments in comic history, and I wanted to feel that same emotion when I saw it on screen, and it just didn't happen:

watchmen-full-1-to-12-pdf-version.png

I just finished reading the comic last week and was prepared for the film to either 1) Change everything into an over-the-top completely off the plantation action film or 2) Soullessly try to encapsulate the comic and failing, because they left out the duality of the two main stories.

This movie was clearly the latter. Without the newspaper guy and the kid, there's no emotional impact to the ending. Seeing them at the end was almost a slap in the face.

If they're in more of the director's cut, I'll watch it in a heartbeat.

I wish I had a better image of this, but this is one of my favorite moments in comic history, and I wanted to feel that same emotion when I saw it on screen, and it just didn't happen:

watchmen-full-1-to-12-pdf-version.png

There's one scene with them for sure:

List of differences between Theatrical Cut and Director's Cut - Watchmen Wiki - Wikia

Is it crazy I don't care that much about the Watchmen comic?

Don't care as in not interested in reading it, or you read it and don't see what's so great about it.

Either way, FAIL.

I read it, and it's not that it's not great, I can definitely appreciate its subversive qualities, and more than anything it's great playful structure, in terms of narrative and paneling.

I just... Ehh. Maybe it's a complete aversion to superhero fiction.

The book gave me a headache, to be honest. I loved the story overall but it took me to get to a point where I was sure I was liking it past the difficulties I was having with taking the story in. By the conclusion, though, I was at a point where I felt really good about the material, even if some of the monologues just made me want to stab my eyes out. It was amazing in a way, where I really felt like I was watching sequences, rather than taking in still images.

So, I mean, I was a tad underwhelmed with it at first, but as the weeks have passed since I've finished it, I've really come to truly appreciate it. I would definitely like to read more of his work.

The book gave me a headache, to be honest. I loved the story overall but it took me to get to a point where I was sure I was liking it past the difficulties I was having with taking the story in. By the conclusion, though, I was at a point where I felt really good about the material, even if some of the monologues just made me want to stab my eyes out. It was amazing in a way, where I really felt like I was watching sequences, rather than taking in still images.

So, I mean, I was a tad underwhelmed with it at first, but as the weeks have passed since I've finished it, I've really come to truly appreciate it. I would definitely like to read more of his work.

V For Vendetta is essential, whatever you wind up feeling about its politics. And if you're into crime stories/forensics/conspiracy theories, his Jack the Ripper story From Hell is also great.

V For Vendetta is essential, whatever you wind up feeling about its politics. And if you're into crime stories/forensics/conspiracy theories, his Jack the Ripper story From Hell is also great.
I dearly love both of those film adaptations, so I have zero issue with reading the books.

Love & Friendship is damn close to being Whit Stillman's best film, and somehow Kate Beckinsale somehow only gets more gorgeous as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom