Movie Reviews (20)14: Modern Times Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add me to the "Cutter's Way is fantastic & ridiculously underseen" camp.

Hell yes. How awesome was old school John Heard?

I need to show that to friends soon.

He's pretty bland in Cat People. When I registered that it was the same John Heard I lost my shit. He's a grizzled Ratso Rizzo-meets-Don Quixote.

Check out the film Heaven Help Us. One of the best teen films I've seen, and it's also fucking hilarious. Heard is great in that. Pretty deep cast too, with Donald Sutherland, Mary Stewart Masterson, Kevin Dillon, Andrew McCarthy, and Wallace Shawn.

And guess what, it's on YouTube, if you're not against that kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJQohuwiAPo

Was watching a list of the Top 10 Scariest Movie Dolls which introduced me to the 1978 film Magic. Seeing Hopkins in the film clips, I was immediately on board. Just finished it and I've come to a few conclusions: 1) I love Anthony Hopkins 2) I want to read the book ASAP and 3) Fuck ventriloquists...seriously.

Also, I don't know how I didn't realize that Richard Attenborough was a director as well, but I see he's got a few good ones under his belt. I really thought this film did a tremendous job of building up to the crazy last 15 minutes, but it might have jumped too quickly to just a pure horrorfest in the end. It didn't bother me too much, but there were some serious issues with the last couple of minutes at any rate. Not sure how much to blame on the adaptation or the original story for that, though.

Check out the film Heaven Help Us. One of the best teen films I've seen, and it's also fucking hilarious. Heard is great in that. Pretty deep cast too, with Donald Sutherland, Mary Stewart Masterson, Kevin Dillon, Andrew McCarthy, and Wallace Shawn.

And guess what, it's on YouTube, if you're not against that kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJQohuwiAPo

You sold me at Sexiest Man Alive™ Wallace Shawn.

Just got back from Inside Llewyn Davis. Gonna post my thoughts here before I go back and read what all you thought of it, as I always do with films.

I thought it was pretty crap to be perfectly honest. I think that's sacrilegious, because I'm pretty sure it got good reviews and was nominated for some awards.

The music throughout is boring. Not a single one of those songs even remotely interested me (aside from the Llewyn-Justin Timberlake-hick dude performance of that Kennedy song, which was a highlight). The whole movie to me seemed completely directionless. There wasn't much of a plot, and so many interesting detours were left completely unanswered and un-revisited. The car trip with that dude and John Goodman was great, probably my favourite part of the film, Goodman was great... but the other dude got arrested, Llewyn left the cat and Goodman behind and it was never spoken of again. I thought Jean was a great character, but the movie never really delved beyond the surface level of her relationship with Llewyn. She was a total bitch for 90% of it (and that was hilarious) and then they had this touching moment back at her place, and then she was gone. His old girlfriend, who had Llewyn's child, never pops up and just when you think he might take a detour to her town he drives past and it's completely forgotten.

The film ends with him sitting outside the bar having been punched, and then cuts to credits. We never find out if he got successful, or went back to the Navy, or even if he went back in the bar and saw the birth of Bob Dylan.

One of the most unsatisfying films I have ever seen. Some really quite funny parts, the cats were fantastic and added a good deal of levity to the film, and some interesting characters, but there was no conclusions at all and I walked out of the theatre not even sure what I'd watched. 5/10.

The lead actor looked so much like the guy who plays Nick on New Girl. It was really distracting. :lol:

THIS.

I forgot about Lebowski...it's still close, though.

I have one major, major complaint about ILD, though: The friggin' music. Oh my God, I don't care how pretty it was, it doesn't sound anything like the period it was meant to. Well, none of Llewyn's music, anyways. Everyone else was pretty on track. Maybe he was just way, way ahead of his time.

I'm reasonably ignorant of the time period, but this was something else that bothered me. All the performances, aside from that brief glimpse of Dylan at the end, sounded so polished, so much like a generic, banjo-less version of Mumford and Sons. I found myself getting really impatient every time he got the guitar out.

I thought it was cool that he was a fairly mediocre musician. It's realistic that the songs are just OK and his performances of them aren't especially charismatic. I would never listen to the soundtrack outside of the context of the film; besides the anachronistic production, the only song that sounds remotely exciting is the one that we can presume had commercial success.

But yeah, I can understand why the plot would be frustrating. The Coens don't make things convenient for viewers, but I personally liked that they told a story from the perspective of someone that fell through the cracks. And if you're in New York in the 1960s and you know a guy like Llewyn, yeah, you're not going to know whether or not they got anywhere. They may sign up for a term in the army and you never see them again. They may find musical success somewhere else. Above all though, I hate being force-fed an ending and within the context of the film, there's no way that his future could be revealed without it feeling tacked on.

It's a realistic story with a lot of sweet, humorous and dark moments. Add in the complementary cinematography and I really loved the film.

Last edited:
Just got back from Inside Llewyn Davis. Gonna post my thoughts here before I go back and read what all you thought of it, as I always do with films.

I thought it was pretty crap to be perfectly honest. I think that's sacrilegious, because I'm pretty sure it got good reviews and was nominated for some awards.

The music throughout is boring. Not a single one of those songs even remotely interested me (aside from the Llewyn-Justin Timberlake-hick dude performance of that Kennedy song, which was a highlight). The whole movie to me seemed completely directionless. There wasn't much of a plot, and so many interesting detours were left completely unanswered and un-revisited. The car trip with that dude and John Goodman was great, probably my favourite part of the film, Goodman was great... but the other dude got arrested, Llewyn left the cat and Goodman behind and it was never spoken of again. I thought Jean was a great character, but the movie never really delved beyond the surface level of her relationship with Llewyn. She was a total bitch for 90% of it (and that was hilarious) and then they had this touching moment back at her place, and then she was gone. His old girlfriend, who had Llewyn's child, never pops up and just when you think he might take a detour to her town he drives past and it's completely forgotten.

The film ends with him sitting outside the bar having been punched, and then cuts to credits. We never find out if he got successful, or went back to the Navy, or even if he went back in the bar and saw the birth of Bob Dylan.

One of the most unsatisfying films I have ever seen. Some really quite funny parts, the cats were fantastic and added a good deal of levity to the film, and some interesting characters, but there was no conclusions at all and I walked out of the theatre not even sure what I'd watched. 5/10.

What's the point of assigning a 5 out of 10 if you made it pretty clear that you didn't care for it? I know this is arbitrary, but still.

Cobs, it's always great to read lengthy reviews in here and the more people who contribute them the better, but that really was an ignorant write up. It doesn't sound like you even tried to parse what was going on in the movie; how everything Llewyn didn't do said just as much about him as his actions did, how his cyclical, destructive behaviour could only have one end to his career and how his self image was distorted back to him differently by various people in his life.

Different strokes and all that, but you come across the same as someone from EYKIW reviewing the latest Kanye album in B&C, all surface level reactions and dismissive.

Unlike those EYKIW people though I will freely admit that I'm ignorant. In fact, I'm pretty much an EYKIW type of person when it comes to films... that's why generally most of my favourites are lightweight comedies. I actually don't read this thread or the general movie thread, just because the way you guys discuss films goes way over my head. That's not a criticism at all, it's awesome that you're all passionate about films in that way. I just don't watch them in the same analytical way. Perhaps on weightier films such as Inside Llewyn Davis I might just use the ol' cobbler phrase "didn't do much for me".

Fair enough, not having a pop at you personally, just the nature if your criticism this time round.

We've all got films / songs / whatever that don't resonate that cant quite be articulated eloquently, no biggie.

What made you go see this one by the way? It's certainly not heavily promoted. And don't let it put you off the Coens, theirs is a rich and varied filmography and one where fans let down by the latest release can still reasonably expect to find the next one a new favourite.

That's totally fine man, didn't take it personally, and it's perfectly reasonable criticism.

Haha actually it was a second date, and I wanted to repeat the first date (dinner & live comedy) but thought I probably shouldn't, so went to the movies instead... Wanted to see Wolf of Wall Street but it finished too late and the blurb for this one sounded most appealing of what was showing.

I'm not sure how I still haven't seen The Big Lebowski. really gotta rectify that.

YOU BLOCKHEAD

DON'T YOU KNOW A GOOD FlLM FROM A POOR FILM

OF ALL THE FRIGGIN COBBLERS IN THE WORLD, YOU'RE THE FRIGGIN COBBLERIEST

If you got that from my review then obviously I need to work on my writing. I'm not "proud" I didn't love the film, I'm not trying to be some deliberate knob and come in here and shit all over the movies you guys like. Likewise I'm not "proud" to admit I'm ignorant, but it's quite obvious I am when it comes to critiquing films compared to you all, and I'll admit that, rather than pretend like my view point is as valid as those who analysed the film deeper than I did.

Tl;dr. Anyway, it's 7:53pm on Friday, none of this really matters, I'm off to see Flying Lotus and get drunk.

Guys...I am trying so hard to finish August: Osage County. There's still a half hour left. I don't know if I can do it.

Eat the fish, eat the fish, eat the fish, EAT THE FISH, MOTHERFUCKER!

The problem is that there are maybe 1.5 interesting characters in this movie and there are at least 5 different plots.

Meanwhile, Prisoners was really quite good. Flawed but enjoyable thriller that was a bit overlooked.

Last edited:
Too Late for Tears (dir. Bryon Haskin, 1949)

A damn fine start to a weekend of noir, Too Late for Tears slots in delightfully as a B-picture to Double Indemnity. Lizabeth Scott -- a near dead ringer for standup Maria Bamford -- plots to murder her husband with Dan Duryea after accidentally ending up with a black bag full of $60,000. You know that things will head south from there, but the narrative zig-zagging leads to some wild places on the way to the inevitable moralistic conclusion. There's a fun feminist reading in here somewhere though I wouldn't try looking too hard.

The Film Noir Foundation restoration on this was gorgeous. Sadly this is hard to come by via physical media, though a decent-looking version exists on YouTube.

Try and Get Me! [aka The Sound of Fury] (dir. Cyril Endfield, 1950)

If Too Late for Tears lets you run amok in the pulpier elements of noir, then Try and Get Me! grabs you by the collar and jostles you for attention. Based off of the same 1934 California lynching incident as Fritz Lang's Fury, this picture reveals itself to be a searing and intensely psychological portrayal of post-war class struggles, the sociological implications of violence, and the way in which media shapes issues from the outside.

First and foremost, it's about Frank Lovejoy's broke family man reluctantly embarking on a series of stick-ups with Lloyd Bridges' avuncular two-bit criminal that culminates in a brutal kidnapping-turned-murder. Director Cyril Endfield fixates on Lovejoy's internal state, breaking out off-kilter camerawork as an expression of his all-consuming guilt. Reflected in another social hierarchy, Richard Carlson's pop newsman strikes up a case of white liberal guilt after his writing on the case leads to the outbreak of violence at the end. By outbreak, I mean an extended jaw-dropping sequence of mob disorder and anarchy that just does not let up. It's truly astounding.

I already planned on attending most of the fest. Though after this, if anything else is half as a good, I know I'll have to be at the whole damn thing.

Yeah I don't think I'd heard of any of those noir titles so couldn't really help you there.

I saw that Jean Negulesco directed one and he did some pretty good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom