Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, when Thriller came out and took the world by storm, I was in the 4th and 5th grade. Everywhere you went you saw Michael Jackson. On the radio, on the video. All of the merchandise. The gloves, the jackets, the sunglasses, the posters. You couldn't escape it. When he did the moonwalk on the Motown special for the first time, people went crazy. It seemed like Michael had everyone in the world's attention. The Reagan's loved him that's for sure. And he was able to sustain that for a while despite his appearance changes. All the way up to Dangerous, Michael was still putting out decent music. It is a shame that he got wrapped up in all of his eccentricities. People are saying that he died way too young, but I think he got a lot of mileage out of his 50 plus years on this planet. Did we really wanna see what he'd look like at 60 anyway? Hell, the guy's face at one point was being covered by 3 band aids.

Anyway, with Michael Jackson's death, a piece of my childhood died. When Mike was in his prime in the 80's, you couldn't escape him and that wasn't such a bad thing. I think I liked more of the songs from his Bad album then I did from Thriller. It seemed like he had more good hits on that one. Rest in peace Michael. They'll never be another one like you, that's for sure.

:applaud:

That was SO true for me and everyone my age. I was around 11 or 12 when Thriller was HUGE. MTV played that video non-stop. It feels like a part of my childhood has died too. It's still stunning. I remember the summer of 1984 with the Victory Tour. I was 11 and this was when I started getting into pop and rock music on the radio. Everybody was talking about that tour. For anyone over 35, you grew up with Michael Jackson. And now that he is gone, it just hits you so hard. His death brings back all the great childhood memories, of growing up with Michael Jackson. I hope this all makes sense. This is just a sad, sad day for me.:(
For people in their 20s or younger, it's a shame you never got to see Michael Jackson in his prime. He was just the coolest guy on the planet. I hope networks play lots of clips from his Jackson 5 days and his Thriller days. He enriched so many lives. He will always be the King of Pop.

And a note to MTV: Why don't you stop showing fucking reality crap and do the right thing: Do a weekend tribute to Michael Jackson. Play his videos non-stop. After all, Michael Jackson was a big reason for your success as a network, what little success you have now.

For someone who lived pretty sheltered from the outside world, maybe he actually did need and want "to see some homeless people." Maybe he needed to see it to believe it because it was so far from his reality. The bodyguard was just relaying something that was memorable for him. Who cares whether he phrased it exactly right or not.

that is just it

the body guard choice of words is awkward to say the least

what happened? Jackson went out of his way to give food to homeless people.

yet, we get the suggestion he threw pizza from a window to them like they were bears at the zoo.

"He's the most misunderstood man in world. Everyone thought he was this weird freak but when you're with him he's as normal as everyone else. I don't think he felt he was as famous as everyone else thought, he didn't know any different.

"He was a very caring guy who would go out of his way to help the sick.

He sent them loads of pizzas in secret.

I am sure these 'homeless people" got a lot of joy from a visit from Michael Jackson.

:up:

You're right, given that the only real proof of any sex Michael may have had in his life was with heterosexual females.

You think those children were conceived naturally?

:lol:

Also, does anyone remember MJ's anti-semitic lyrics from "They Don't Care About Us", which featured the words "jew me, sue me" and "kick me, kike me"? Jackson eventually changed the lyrics and claimed he was trying to show the "hatefulness of racism".

Unfortunately, he later was cited by the Anti-Defamation League for apparently saying "They suck... they're like leeches... It's a conspiracy. The Jews do it on purpose."

A lot of those people who are mourning him are thinking it, too, they're just choosing to remember him for the good instead of the controversial and the unknown.

I'm not choosing to ignore anything really, I understand what you're getting at but dodgy allegations don't send you to "hell". Neither does bleaching your skin, reconstructing your face or building a fantasy ranch. Even if you believe in "hell", you also then have to take the whole concept, which includes repentance, forgiveness and salvation. We all sin, period.

that is just it

the body guard choice of words is awkward to say the least

what happened? Jackson went out of his way to give food to homeless people.

yet, we get the suggestion he threw pizza from a window to them like they were bears at the zoo.

I am sure these 'homeless people" got a lot of joy from a visit from Michael Jackson.

Hey, it was a joke. I was making fun of the bodyguard's phrasing, not seriously trying to attribute that sentiment to Jackson.

Oh well, Khanada laughed.

Also, does anyone remember MJ's anti-semitic lyrics from "They Don't Care About Us", which featured the words "jew me, sue me" and "kick me, kike me"? Jackson eventually changed the lyrics and claimed he was trying to show the "hatefulness of racism".

Unfortunately, he later was cited by the Anti-Defamation League for apparently saying "They suck... they're like leeches... It's a conspiracy. The Jews do it on purpose."

Where's NSW when you need him?

For people in their 20s or younger, it's a shame you never got to see Michael Jackson in his prime.

I'm 29 and have vivid memories of when Thriller was huge. Michael Jackson's music is synonymous with my childhood. More so than any other artist. The extent of it didnt really sink in until I was telling stories to my girlfriend yesterday whos 5 years younger.

I think the people I feel worst for are Jeff Goldblum's family, friends, and loved ones. His untimely demise is being overshadowed by all this Jackson business. It's all but a non-story at this point.

I also feel terrible for the guys in Alien Ant Farm.

I read through hundreds of comments from showbiz people earlier on and they really made me cry.

Why hasn't the great Bono commented yet? Usually he's commenting on everything and anything. That would be a better idea then sending fans stupid paper masks to print out and wear.

Why hasn't the great Bono commented yet? Usually he's commenting on everything and anything. That would be a better idea then sending fans stupid paper masks to print out and wear.

Did it ever occur to you that Boner might be getting a MJ memorial tattoo, and that's why he hasn't had the time to comment?

And of course, commenting on a dead celebrity is more important than fighting for the freedom of someone alive.

protocol

waiting for Obama

What’s President Obama’s reaction to the death of pop superstar Michael Jackson? White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs was asked about it this afternoon.

“I talked to him about it this morning,” Gibbs said. “He said to me that obviously Michael Jackson was a spectacular performer and a music icon and I think everybody remembers hearing his songs and watching him moonwalk on television during Motown’s 25th anniversary.”

“But the president also said aspects of his life were sad and tragic,” Gibbs continued. “His condolences went out to the Jackson family and to fans that mourned his loss.”

Why no statement?

“Because I just said it,” Gibbs said.

I'm not choosing to ignore anything really, I understand what you're getting at but dodgy allegations don't send you to "hell". Neither does bleaching your skin, reconstructing your face or building a fantasy ranch. Even if you believe in "hell", you also then have to take the whole concept, which includes repentance, forgiveness and salvation. We all sin, period.

I get that, I just meant that I didn't find the editorial cartoon surprising or, to be honest, all that inappropriate for those reasons.

That would be a better idea then sending fans stupid paper masks to print out and wear.

Ha! We should be lucky they aren't issuing paper MJ masks for fans to wear in Barcelona.

Did it ever occur to you that Boner might be getting a MJ memorial tattoo, and that's why he hasn't had the time to comment?

And of course, commenting on a dead celebrity is more important than fighting for the freedom of someone alive.

I know I should ignore your comments here, but I think you get what I'm saying very well.

I support the Burma movement.

Go over to the tour forum and join the discussion about the masks with some constructive input.

Who gets custody of Bubbles?

Bubbles died years ago.

Btw, they're investigating the doctor now. It was an "open secret" in the MJ fan community that Michael has had a problem with prescription drugs for many years now. He started taking painkillers on a regular basis when he was burnt very badly in the 80s while doing a Pepsi commercial. He has never recovered from this burning incident. And he had a lot of medical problems. So, yes, drugs definitely played a role in his death. There's only so and so much a heart can take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom