Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So very sad.....I remember the Jackson Five as a child. So we sort of grew up together.
Michael was a brilliant performer and he will be missed. Prayers and kind thoughts to his family and friends.

21m6b2o.gif

His family killed him

I was never a big MJ fan growing up in the 80's, I knew his songs (who didn't?) and I had several friends who had his records and whatnot but while I liked his music well enough it never really resonated with me like it did with others.

I do remember going to a friend’s house to watch the Thriller video premier and I remember it being a big deal at the time.

He always struck me as an incredibly lonely individual who never matured both because he never really had a proper childhood himself and because he didn’t want to grow up. I don't like what happened to him and what he turned into by his own doing and from the pressures of the world around him. But I do have to give the man respect for the music he made, the walls he broke down and for the lives that he touched.

Wow, what a strange past couple of days. It seemed like everyone was waiting for poor Farrah to pass away and end her suffering. Then Michael Jackson gets rushed to the hospital. A lot of people were already declaring him dead and CNN hadn't even reported it yet. Turns out they were right because I think he died at 230pm West Coast time.

Anyway, I had no problem with Michael until the first accusation came along in 1993. His plastic surgery problems were really starting to get out of hand and he was really becoming a freak. Fast forward a few years and it seemed things just got worse for Michael all across the board. Then in 2003, another kid comes forward and Michael flat out gets busted on a VH-1 special where the kid says that Michael insisted they sleep in the same bed. After that I really didn't give a shit about Michael.

But, when Thriller came out and took the world by storm, I was in the 4th and 5th grade. Everywhere you went you saw Michael Jackson. On the radio, on the video. All of the merchandise. The gloves, the jackets, the sunglasses, the posters. You couldn't escape it. When he did the moonwalk on the Motown special for the first time, people went crazy. It seemed like Michael had everyone in the world's attention. The Reagan's loved him that's for sure. And he was able to sustain that for a while despite his appearance changes. All the way up to Dangerous, Michael was still putting out decent music. It is a shame that he got wrapped up in all of his eccentricities. People are saying that he died way too young, but I think he got a lot of mileage out of his 50 plus years on this planet. Did we really wanna see what he'd look like at 60 anyway? Hell, the guy's face at one point was being covered by 3 band aids.

Anyway, with Michael Jackson's death, a piece of my childhood died. When Mike was in his prime in the 80's, you couldn't escape him and that wasn't such a bad thing. I think I liked more of the songs from his Bad album then I did from Thriller. It seemed like he had more good hits on that one. Rest in peace Michael. They'll never be another one like you, that's for sure.

Just wanted to give a big :hug: to all who have shared their personal memories over the last few hours. Mark - I never realized (or maybe forgot) that your first live experience was the Jacksons - HeartlandGirl, JanuaryStar, Elizabeth, Lila, VP, U2isthebest, MrPryck2U, Katherine, all of ya...and especially thatsnotmypuppy who was open to admit as a grown man tearing up a bit:

:hug:

Cause in reality some/most of us aren't simply anonymous posters...we're real people some of us who know each other in real life also who were really touched for the better part of their lives by the brilliant, special, and tragically conflicted genius who was Michael Jackson. Michael truly did make the world a better place by giving us a gift that will last forever: the gift of amazing music. :up:

This is a very childish remark.

Agree. I just can't believe some people's comments here.

There are many many people out there who are heartbroken over this man's death. I'm really sad today, he was part of my youth. It's like part of me has also gone with him.

Just a few thoughts from me.

Just reading this testimony kind of choked me up a bit, especially the final paragraph.

Yeah, I've said a couple of dumb things over the day, and yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that he was a strange and wacky guy, and quite likely a criminal. But when you listen to the songs that made him famous, you forget all of that. This afternoon, my brother and I listened to Jacksons stuff in the car, sitting in silent awe for most of the time. I've never been an enormous fan of the guy, but the music speaks for itself. He was brilliant.

It's just made everything surreal, like the whole world became more hellish today. That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever written, but, yeah - I really feel for his family, and his fans.

... Oh wait, this isn't an obituary thread, is it? Sor-ry!

I am very sad today. I remember wanting to go to his concert in 1987 in Rotterdam just a few months after my dad past away but my mother was afraid I might get hurt. I just thought about that today playing some songs form Thriller and Bad at work. The man was a genius, a scarred individual who made big mistakes in his life but I will never forget him and will allways be thankful for the wonderful musical gifts he has left behind .

And then I come to this thread and I see the most disgusting, passive aggressive, tasteless remarks and jokes. The general music thread in B&C is even more vile than this one. I'm so disgusted to see the lack of respect being shown toward a human being in the hour of his passing. It really says a lot about the character of the people writing these remarks. I realize this is "just an Internet forum," but clearly, for some people, that excuses the fact that they are behaving reprehensibly toward a man who meant so much to millions of people who has just lost his life and the countless fans who are mourning. The lack of sensitivity by some of the people here is absolutely staggering. I'm sorry, but there is no way you can defend such behavior to me. Celebrity or not, guilty or not, he was just a human being and deserves to be shown some decency and respect.

To those in this thread who are legitimately mourning the passing of Michael Jackson, I stand with you. I very much remember taking my mom's vinyl copy of Thriller and burning it up on my record player as a kid. I owned "Bad" on cassette. And even as I grew up and moved on to different genres of music, there were always some Michael Jackson songs that still spoke to me. I am very sad about his death, not just because of what he meant to music and how he shaped our culture in the 80s, but because his life was clearly one that none of us would choose for ouselves. Tonight I feel in my heart a great deal of compassion for Michael Jackson and the life he lived under a scrutiny the rest of us can't even begin to comprehend. How that impacted him is obvious to all, and I sincerely hope that he is at peace.

:up: :hug:

Just a few thoughts from me.

:hug:

I too have relayed your story to my friends as we were curious to see the UK and Aussie reaction of those who were not awake to see it unfold live. It must have been a terrible morning for Michael fans in these countries, and he had many.
I know lot of people on the east coast were not awake for Diana's passing, but I was and it was just as shocking.

Driving to work today and listening to the radio reports, I still can not believe it.
Same.
I heard last night during a family card game, someone called and mentioned it. I was thinking, "Wait, what? You can't be serious.". As soon as I got to a computer, I saw it for myself and it seems like no matter how many times I see it, hear it and read about it, the reality of it just doesn't set in.

Whether you liked the man, hated the man, or were indifferent to him, one thing is for certain: Everyone knew who he was. The fact that he existed was pretty much a daily fact of life, law of nature, or however you choose to phrase it. The idea of him being gone is just one that my brain is having a hard time fathoming.

My thoughts are with his family, friends and all the heartbroken fans across the world.

The last great showman, irrespective of whether you liked his music or not, R.I.P.

YES! I was just thinking of that this morning. While listening to the song on my iPod, naturally.

Saw this:

Los Angeles police were reported to be searching for Michael Jackson's personal physician today to question him over allegations that the star received a potentially fatal dose of the painkiller Demerol before his death yesterday afternoon.

News of the manhunt broke on the well-connected celebrity gossip website TMZ.com, which was the first to report the star's death. The police action followed earlier reports that Jackson had been given an large dose of the drug — which can prompt cardiac failure — to help to deal with the pain after a rehearsal for a series of 50 comeback concerts in London.

TMZ reported: "We've learned law enforcement is looking for a doctor who lived at Michael Jackson's home — and the doctor is nowhere to be found... The cops want to interview the doc."

If it's true that he's been addicted to Demerol and/or other prescription drugs for years (based on comments heard last night and in the past), how sad is it that no one could step up and help him?

I know someone suffering from addiction has to want to stop and want the help, but I'm sure he's been surrounded by yes-men and sycophants for years. Is there no one who was trying to help him?

I just got back from the mall. Every store that sells CDs is completely sold out of Michael Jackson already. Also, for those who have it, VH1 Classic is having MJ weekend starting today, at noon aka right now.:wink:

ETA. "Beat It" vid. Hell yes.

I just got back from the mall. Every store that sells CDs is completely sold out of Michael Jackson already. Also, for those who have it, VH1 Classic is having MJ weekend starting today, at noon aka right now.:wink:

ETA. "Beat It" vid. Hell yes.

Crap, I hope the Best Buy across the street from my office still has some CDs... I have all his tapes (I think they're all still in my mom's basement) but when I started buying CDs outright I was already into U2, etc and didn't think to buy the old tapes on CD.

If that painkiller story is true, just reminds me more and more of Elvis in the end. So sad. :(

My friend and I have been reminiscing all morning at work - she said she and her sisters' walls were covered with the Jackson Five growing up.

You can always buy his CDs a couple of weeks from now, you guys. :wink:

If anyone wants his music for the time being, I've got some. :whistle:

Crap, I hope the Best Buy across the street from my office still has some CDs... I have all his tapes (I think they're all still in my mom's basement) but when I started buying CDs outright I was already into U2, etc and didn't think to buy the old tapes on CD.

If that painkiller story is true, just reminds me more and more of Elvis in the end. So sad. :(

My friend and I have been reminiscing all morning at work - she said she and her sisters' walls were covered with the Jackson Five growing up.

I know. Everything Michael is cleaned out, at least where I went. I bought his albums on iTunes a long time ago, but I want CDs now too. My mom's rage over her "Thriller" record being stolen has now returned in full force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom