Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in the past hour or so has it started sinking in that one of my first idols, one of the first people who had me really interested in music, is dead.

I think this is what hits me the most. I wasn't a screaming crazed MJ fan, but there is/was no denying his place in my musical youth.

Anyways, I've paid my respects and argued more than I wanted to. I'm going to go watch some old concert footage and soak in the good memories.

Aren't you a comedian?

Yes.

Grow up unless you have something of value to contribute [paraphrased due to late edit]

Pot, meet the kettle:

I just saw the Coldplay iTunes commercial last night. What a fucking hoot. I sat there in a daze for about the first 10 seconds and then my body spontaneously leaped up off the couch, my arms flailed high and out of my mouth came, completely in tune and time with whatever the fuck was coming out of Martin's yap:

"I WANT TO BE BAAAANNNNOOOOOOOO, BAAAANNNNOOOO, BAAAANNNOOOOOO." (repeat)

Aw impy, come on. (drat, you posted again - that was meant for your previous post, not the OJ one)

Saying you did that as a spoof is like Tommy Wiseau saying he didn't intend for The Room to be a serious film.

Plus it's extremely easy to find. But you're right. I'm pathetic. Heaven forbid I remember the most idiotic thing I've seen posted here. It took a lot of time to type "gvox" in the username section, "iTunes" into the keyword section, and click "display as posts."

Buh-bye! I'll leave you to the fun you're having! :wave:

Cheers.

The bottom line is, no matter what MJ did or did not do, the world lost a very important musical and cultural icon that a lot of people here grew up with. The class clown and critical comments in this thread are horribly out of place and just plain callous and unnecessary at this point.

The bottom line is, no matter what MJ did or did not do, the world lost a very important musical and cultural icon that a lot of people here grew up with.

I think this sums up everything about today.

It kind of bugs me that all the news channels and reports are calling him the King of Pop. Twenty years ago, yes. Not like I'd expect them to be saying "Former King of Pop," but at least mention "at the height of his popularity, he was known as the King of Pop."

I know that's a dumb thing to be irritated about, and it's not like I think "HE'S not the King of Pop! So-and-So is the real king of pop!" I can't really explain why it's bugging me.

And a question: is he really still that gigantically huge in the rest of the world? Even after his popularity waned in the States, you knew he still had millions of fans crying and shaking and screaming for him. Okay, fine.

Is that still the case? Are they the ones who snatched up tickets to 50 concerts, or is it more of a nostalgia thing? Or "this is going to be big, and I need to be there" thing?

It's not like the guy has been putting out new music in the rest of the world and not here. Is the rest of the world still just riding on the relatively few albums he put out? Or is he not as shaking/screaming/crying popular as he was back in the 90s or so?

My heart is broken for the adorable little boy with the beautiful voice that he was, long ago. All that talent and charisma and what all came after...

Watching Jermaine Jackson talking about Michael's death made me cry. I know how it feels to lose a brother. It is a horrible, horrible feeling.

Sleep, sleep tonight...

Is that still the case? Are they the ones who snatched up tickets to 50 concerts, or is it more of a nostalgia thing? Or "this is going to be big, and I need to be there" thing?

Yes - he is very popular in the rest of the world. The 50 sold-out shows, btw, were in London alone.

I know it was just London. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising - I mean, the Beatles and Elvis are still very popular.

But is that level of hysteria still there? Like in the 90s how you'd see fans in Brazil or wherever screaming and crying, and people in the US thinking "... really? Michael Jackson? Still?" Has that lessened? I guess we don't have recent concert footage to see it or not.

MTV is failing with this video tribute. They're playing some really random stuff. Where are the big hits? We get a song about Ryan White? The same video of a non-hit twice in ten minutes? Nothing off Thriller?

Oh dear lord, MTV brought out Kurt Loder. He looks like he's been embalmed for the past 15 years.

and John Norris. Ugh. VJ's are a dead career. No wonder they called them up and they jumped at the chance to be relevant again.

John Norris has always been old.

This comment on another site:

Second, for those of you who had Thriller on wax, did you ever fold it open to the picture of him lying with the baby tiger and just totally bug out on how pronounced the tendon in his wrist was?

Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes. I'm glad to have my wtf-ery validated by someone else 25 years later!

It kind of bugs me that all the news channels and reports are calling him the King of Pop. Twenty years ago, yes. Not like I'd expect them to be saying "Former King of Pop," but at least mention "at the height of his popularity, he was known as the King of Pop."

I know that's a dumb thing to be irritated about, and it's not like I think "HE'S not the King of Pop! So-and-So is the real king of pop!" I can't really explain why it's bugging me.

And a question: is he really still that gigantically huge in the rest of the world? Even after his popularity waned in the States, you knew he still had millions of fans crying and shaking and screaming for him. Okay, fine.

It's not like the guy has been putting out new music in the rest of the world and not here. Is the rest of the world still just riding on the relatively few albums he put out? Or is he not as shaking/screaming/crying popular as he was back in the 90s or so?

MARRY ME.

I know it was just London. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising - I mean, the Beatles and Elvis are still very popular.

But is that level of hysteria still there? Like in the 90s how you'd see fans in Brazil or wherever screaming and crying, and people in the US thinking "... really? Michael Jackson? Still?" Has that lessened? I guess we don't have recent concert footage to see it or not.

Yeah...they're kind of crazy down there? I mean, they kill people over soccer matches.

Of course, I'm pretty sure the British are rabid when it comes to MJ as well, and that's not a dig on MadForIt.

I think music videos are a dead art, but that's just me. :sad:

No, you're right, videos suck these days. I think that's mainly caused by stations like MTV and VH1 moving their programming away from the music they were founded for to cheap, trashy reality TV. There's no point in making a music video if no one will play it.

and John Norris. Ugh. VJ's are a dead career. No wonder they called them up and they jumped at the chance to be relevant again.

John Norris has always been old.

You see the guy's hair? It looks like Zac Efron's. The fucker is FIFTY.

I think a lot of the hate is jealousy or a cry for attention.

I just wanted to say, "LOL!"

Also, yes, it's tragic whenever anyone dies young like this. MJ was an important cultural figure in the first stages of his career, but you have to expect some of these colder reactions here. I mean come on, he's sort of a despicable guy in a lot of ways, no matter how sadly fucked up his life had been.

Does he deserve at least "one day of respect"? Probably not. At least not on an anonymous message board where people are free to discuss whatever they want regarding a given topic.

No, you're right, videos suck these days. I think that's mainly caused by stations like MTV and VH1 moving their programming away from the music they were founded for to cheap, trashy reality TV. There's no point in making a music video if no one will play it.

No one will play it except like a few million people on youtube :wink:

Secondly, there's a flipside to your argument: If you had been accused of molesting a child, would you not want to go to trial so your innocence would be officially proven, instead of giving a large portion of your accumulated wealth to the people supposedly falsely accusing you?

Not to add fuel to either fire and you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I dont think that this automatically displays guilt. Theres a lot more to lose by going to trial. You never know how events will get twisted, etc. I think if I were in a similar situation with the means to settle out of court, I'd rather guarantee my freedom. You've got a lot less to lose if you go to trial as a plaintiff

MARRY ME.

Only if you play nice in the thread. :flirt:

Yeah...they're kind of crazy down there? I mean, they kill people over soccer matches.

Maybe we're the weird ones. Look at U2 concert videos. The rest of the world goes apeshit insane at U2 concerts, we kind of stand around, cheer a little, drink some beer, talk to our friends.

MTV: "Leave Me Alone"? Yeah, cool video, but where the hell is Beat It? Billie Jean? Hell, Rock With You???? I don't want to see Leave Me Alone or Jam!

Come on SHAMON now!

You know, I've been harsh on MTV tonight (and basically every day since I was 12 and realized the MTV that my mom and dad knew and loved was dead for my generation), but if this programming introduces some dumbass, musically deprived teens and young 20somethings to the genius of Michael Jackson and how pop music can be more than mind-numbing shit, than that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom