Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously dude, give it a rest. We know you hated the guy. Some of us loved him.

Look, I get some people don't like him. I can also take a good joke and have even laughed alot at the ones that diss Bono.

But do we typically lampoon, jeer at and make fun of any other celebrities or musicians on the day of their death here on Interference? Do they not get at least one day of respect as a human being who has given something to the planet and has passed on? Honestly. :|

When someone was accused of molesting children TWICE, had photos of naked kids in his possession, slept in a bed with children who aren't his, and settles out of court for like 1/4 of his assets, then it's pretty fair game.

If O.J. died today I wonder how many people would be posting "MURDERER" or some such sentiment instead of reminiscing about his amazing football career and hilarious Naked Gun appearances.

As I said in another thread, no rest for the wicked.

Look, I get some people don't like him. I can also take a good joke and have even laughed alot at the ones that diss Bono.

But do we typically lampoon, jeer at and make fun of any other celebrities or musicians on the day of their death here on Interference? Do they not get at least one day of respect as a human being who has given something to the planet and has passed on? Honestly. :|

Actually, yeah, there's usually a few jokes in every thread on topics such as this. Some people appreciate laughter at times like these.

Did MJ still own the publishing rights to the Beatles catalogue? I know there'd been talk in past years that he'd been looking to sell or something, with all his financial troubles. Did anything ever come of that?

A few years ago, one of the entertainment news shows said that his lawyers wanted him to sell those publishing rights for the money, because he was having financial problems, so much so that they drew up the paper work, everything was filled out, and it was just waiting for his signature, which he never gave. I don't remember who it would've been sold to.

In tonight's news coverage, they said those publishing rights are mortgaged.

When someone was accused of molesting children TWICE, had photos of naked kids in his possession, slept in a bed with children who aren't his, and settles out of court for like 1/4 of his assets, then it's pretty fair game.

If O.J. died today I wonder how many people would be posting "MURDERER" or some such sentiment instead of reminiscing about his amazing football career and hilarious Naked Gun appearances.

Not to encourage you any more, but:

Evan Chandler and Jackson, represented by their legal teams, then engaged in unsuccessful negotiations to resolve the issue in a financial settlement; the negotiations were initiated by Chandler but Jackson did make several counter offers.

This is from wikipedia, about the first case in 93. The negotiations to settle were initiated by the kid's parents. If you're the parents of a kid who you believe has been molested, do you want to settle and get the money while the person responsible goes free, or do you want to go to trial and see the person responsible go to jail?

I can't read through 30 pages but I'm sad because of the memories tied to his music in my life. The best of the jackson 5 was my first cassette. I wanted to go to the Dangerous Tour and my mom wouldn't let me because I was too young. My mom grew up listening to his music as did I. He was much too young.

His kids lost a father and many many fans lost a piece of their childhood. Allegations and controversy aside, its the memories of the good times his music provided that I;m thankful for

When someone was accused of molesting children TWICE, had photos of naked kids in his possession, slept in a bed with children who aren't his, and settles out of court for like 1/4 of his assets, then it's pretty fair game

Hey Laz, are you a parent? I am, and here's a few somewhat related ramblings:

- If Bono himself invited my kids for extended sleepovers or pyjama parties, the answer would be no.

- If ANYONE touched one of my children, there would be no trial for that person.

- If anyone actually did get away with it and the police managed to protect them to get it to trial, $22M would not make me drop the charges, period. No amount of money would do that

Unproven allegations and bullshit. Any parent that settles for $22M if their kid was supposedly abused and then refuses to let their kid testify at the criminal trial is a sack of shit and deserves to be shot. They have no credibility, period.

Even if he was guilty, I still feel like it was a tragic situation. When you look at his life as a whole - the molestation allegations, the self-mutilation, his childhood fetish (wanting to live as a child while an adult), and all the other extremely bizarre behaviour, and then when you look at his early life and career, he certainly didn't get to be the way he was on his own. It's abundantly clear that he was mentally ill, and went from a family who used and abused him, to surrounding himself with people who didn't have his best interests at heart. Very tragic.

Not to encourage you any more, but:

This is from wikipedia, about the first case in 93. The negotiations to settle were initiated by the kid's parents. If you're the parents of a kid who you believe has been molested, do you want to settle and get the money while the person responsible goes free, or do you want to go to trial and see the person responsible go to jail?

Hey Laz, are you a parent? I am, and here's a few somewhat related ramblings:

- If Bono himself invited my kids for extended sleepovers or pyjama parties, the answer would be no.

- If ANYONE touched one of my children, there would be no trial for that person.

- If anyone actually did get away with it and the police managed to protect them to get it to trial, $22M would not make me drop the charges, period. No amount of money would do that

Unproven allegations and bullshit. Any parent that settles for $22M if their kid was supposedly abused and then refuses to let their kid testify at the criminal trial is a sack of shit and deserves to be shot. They have no credibility, period.

Not that the parents weren't greedy themselves, but any sane person would know that going up against a legal team paid for by MJ would be unlikely to result in a conviction.

Secondly, there's a flipside to your argument: If you had been accused of molesting a child, would you not want to go to trial so your innocence would be officially proven, instead of giving a large portion of your accumulated wealth to the people supposedly falsely accusing you?

There's also the matter of the conduct of Jackson's handlers/security, with potential witnesses who were threatened, and if I'm not mistaken one was coincidentally almost run over by some crazy anonymous driver. Lot of unanswered questions there.

That's really well said, VP.

It's weird. My reactions throughout the afternoon/evening have been kind of that only-in-the-age-of-the-internet of information overload, kind of shaking my head at the extreme outpouring of grief (not knocking anyone, just hadn't expected so much of it).

Only in the past hour or so has it started sinking in that one of my first idols, one of the first people who had me really interested in music, is dead. I don't know that I'll be among the "omg shaking and crying" crowd, but I'm going from bemused shock to actual sadness.

Oh, and dear MTV:

I'm happy you're playing his videos now, but this song? The one I don't know the name of?

YOU JUST PLAYED IT TEN MINUTES AGO.

Come on, now.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you can't even play videos right anymore.

There are some reports that MJ left the rights to the Beatles songs to Paul McCartney (in his will).

Two birds with one stone FTW:

paul-mccartney-toking-1.jpg

Not that the parents weren't greedy themselves, but any sane person would know that going up against a legal team paid for by MJ would be unlikely to result in a conviction.

So the $22m is supposed to somehow soothe that? The $22M was a civil matter. How much does is a conviction, or, in your argument, not getting a conviction, worth to you? That's why I asked if you had kids, not as an insult, but because I know there is no price that would make me drop criminal charges, liklihood be damned. How could I ever look my kid in the eye and say 'yeah well, it didn't look promising on the criminal aspect, but hell, we're rich now!' :huh:

Like I said, unproven allegations.

Quick, someone get this guy a trophy!

Aren't you a comedian? I was using that as a reference point as I think most parents are revolted by the thought of molestation and to reinforce that if he was in fact guilty and was convicted, I would have an entirely different opinion, being a parent. Grow up.

That's really well said, VP.

It's weird. My reactions throughout the afternoon/evening have been kind of that only-in-the-age-of-the-internet of information overload, kind of shaking my head at the extreme outpouring of grief (not knocking anyone, just hadn't expected so much of it).

Only in the past hour or so has it started sinking in that one of my first idols, one of the first people who had me really interested in music, is dead. I don't know that I'll be among the "omg shaking and crying" crowd, but I'm going from bemused shock to actual sadness.

I always thought that if any positive would come out of him being convicted, it would have been that he would be forced to undergo treatment. But alas.

That's pretty much the way I've been feeling all evening. Well, since I realized that "Ben" is apparently my trigger, and turned it off. :uhoh: ;)

I was really looking forward to his comeback at O2....

Hes been dealt some unfair luck the last few years.

Whether you liked the guy or hated him most people would say he was one of the best musicians and entertainers of his time...and certainly had a love for it.

RIP Michael as Bono says I dont believe you are Bad.

I was too young for Michael Jackson to be an icon for me. Yes, I did grow up during the height of his fame. But I was 10 when he was accused of child molestation. For that moment on, he was a pariah, the butt of every joke. So, I never got to enjoy his music while he still seemed sane.

Yes, his music was great, especially in the 80s. But I was only baby when Thriller came out, along with the moonwalk and everything. Right now, I wished I had enjoyed Michael Jackson's music. But I couldn't; there was too much controversy surrounding him.

The way I see Michael Jackson's life is that he was a true gift, an incredible-beyond-words talent, but he destroyed himself. It really is sad, a total tragedy.

I just hope the best for his family, especially his children, who did not have a normal childhood, much like their father.

Maybe I'm just a big ol' softie who believes there is still good in the world, but I honestly believe Paul would make sure Yoko got John's share as well.

So the $22m is supposed to somehow soothe that? The $22M was a civil matter. How much does is a conviction, or, in your argument, not getting a conviction, worth to you? That's why I asked if you had kids, not as an insult, but because I know there is no price that would make me drop criminal charges, liklihood be damned. How could I ever look my kid in the eye and say 'yeah well, it didn't look promising on the criminal aspect, but hell, we're rich now!' :huh:

Like I said, unproven allegations.

You didn't respond to my second point. About defending yourself against those kinds of allegations? How much would that be worth?

As far as "unproven allegations" goes, at worst, this guy molested a child or children. At best, he had an unhealthy attitude towards them; someone who keeps nude photos of children and also likes to sleep in bed with them is extremely disturbing. He may not have been a pedophile in action, but in thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom