Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #751
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post

I think you can tell the age of people by posting in this thread. If anyone gets my drift.
Absolutely. When I first heard the news (some random guy told me on the street as I cycled home yesterday), until I turned on the telly a half hour later, all I could think of was the music, the videos, the 80s MJ, the glove and posters on my walls, etc. I only remembered the *other* stuff when I was reminded of it later on the news.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #752
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:44 PM
It's interesting that he was such a phenomenon through different eras.

It's kind of like "Grease." I mean, that was popular when I was in junior high, even though it had come out years earlier. And then as I get older, I still see the same age group discover and love it.

Same as with MJ. I've seen tributes from those who watched him grow up, then my age group, who were just getting into music when Thriller came out, and then people younger than I am, who got into him as young people, even though his output had slowed down and he wasn't necessarily as huge as he was in the early-mid 80s.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #753
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:44 AM
^ I wasn't born until a year after Bad came out, and my earliest memories of him are the first trial. I was around 5 when that happened. I remember my mom and dad often talking about how weird he was now and how they missed the Michael Jackson of the 80s and even just a couple years earlier, but they didn't think he actually hurt a child. They played his music a lot, and I've loved it from the time I was little. Fast forward to 2005 when the second trial and accusations began. I was 17 and had seen the Martin Bashir documentary a couple years prior. When I watched it I realized how sick mentally Michael was, but it was easy to see why he was that way. I still didn't and don't believe he ever did anything inappropriate to children. It's always been about the music for me, even though I wasn't alive during the phenomenon that was Michael Jackson. I know a lot of my friends who are all my age or right around it, tend to know more about the freak show Michael's life became thanks to to scrutiny and the media, but all of them will still get up and dance if someone throws a song on. So, while I think age definitely has much to do with the biggest perception some might have of him, in the end it's his music that will stand the test of time. Even people my age that tend to make fun of the plastic surgery, the child rumors, and whatnot forget about all that the minute "Billie Jean" comes on, for example. That to me, is the genius of Michael and that will be his legacy.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 PM
I actually played out my first cassette of Thriller and ended up buying a second one.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #755
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
...who got into him as young people, even though his output had slowed down and he wasn't necessarily as huge as he was in the early-mid 80s.

My parents, specifically my mom, were huuuge 80s fans. Of anything '80s. I remember jamming to Rick Astley (way before /b/ found out about him and Never Gonna Give You Up) on the way to elementary school. I rejected freestyle and Miami bass and thrived on Madonna, Michael and '80s one-hit wonders. No wonder kids made fun of me when I couldn't identify the members of TLC, but could sing Tears for Fears at the drop of a hat!
First cassette, however: Duran Duran.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #756
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Just wanted to give a big to all who have shared their personal memories over the last few hours. Mark - I never realized (or maybe forgot) that your first live experience was the Jacksons - HeartlandGirl, JanuaryStar, Elizabeth, Lila, VP, U2isthebest, MrPryck2U, Katherine, all of ya...and especially thatsnotmypuppy who was open to admit as a grown man tearing up a bit:

Cause in reality some/most of us aren't simply anonymous posters...we're real people some of us who know each other in real life also who were really touched for the better part of their lives by the brilliant, special, and tragically conflicted genius who was Michael Jackson. Michael truly did make the world a better place by giving us a gift that will last forever: the gift of amazing music.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post
Just a few thoughts from me [...]

Tonight I had a ticket to see Simon and Garfunkel at Rod Laver Arena here in Melbourne. I didn't feel like going - but wasn't going to throw away a ticket. The show was good - and then Art Garfunkel did a solo set. He sang 'Bright Eyes'. At the end of the song he sat on his stool, put his head down and said "That was for Michael - and all the broken hearts in the room tonight '. Again I was a mess. And the huge cheer of approval is something that will stay with me forever. At the end of the show as they started 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' Paul Simon stated "I sing to heaven tonight". The roar at the end of that song was one of the loudest roars I ever heard.

I'm sorry this went on for so long - but I felt I needed to share and put this out there. Tonight I'll go to sleep listening to 'Bad' and hope that whatever version of heaven exists there is room for Michael Jackson.
I think you've put your emotions/thoughts in words very well. Especially this last bit really got to me. You must have had such a strange and mixed feeling being at that concert. And that last sentence, I strongly agree with you
Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #757
Ghost of Love

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Thriller - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

I hope that if there is something after this life whoever controls it forgives me for not believing and sends me straight to wherever this guy is.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #758
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
First cassette, however: Duran Duran.
Duran Duran - the real loves of my teenaged life!

Michael Jackson was my first musical love. Then came Prince (my parents were less than thrilled ), and then Duran Duran, and that was The Big Teenaged Obsession.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #759
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I actually played out my first cassette of Thriller and ended up buying a second one.

Mine actually snapped (the actual tape) close to the beginning of The Girl Is Mine and I carefully spliced it back together with scotch tape...I think it was cause I would always rewind back to Wanna Be Startin Something so many times

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #760
Blue Crack Addict

First record I bought as a kid with my own money was The Jackson Five's 3rd album. I grew up watching MJ grow up. I used to try to do his dance moves on the front porch when no one was looking.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #761
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Mine actually snapped (the actual tape) close to the beginning of The Girl Is Mine and I carefully spliced it back together with scotch tape...I think it was cause I would always rewind back to Wanna Be Startin Something so many times

This reminded me of a video copy of "Fast Times At Tidgemont High" I had, the Phoebe Cates part .....that part was rewinded to many times and the tracking was off.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #762
ONE
love, blood, life

I just remembered spending the night at my dad's a few months ago, putting my iPod on the iHome and and dancing around the living room with him to this song. It's his fav. MJ tune.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #763
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I absolutely do not believe anything about being anywhere close to reunion with the Beatles
I agree - I went through a big John Lennon kick last year and read many books on him and not one of them even hints at this, in fact, it was usually the opposite - reuniting with the Beatles was the last thing he wanted to do.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #764
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

damn people

who the hell cares if I get a nickname of MJ in MSN Messenger?
why the hell do you ask me if I'm mourning him?
what the hell do you care?
why do you say "I'm happy, he was a pedophile"?

I hope my "friends" parents, never kill anybody, and then,m when they die somebody comes an tell them "good, he was a murderer"

whatever Michael was... he still meant A LOT to millions of people

RIP, you damn entertainment genius
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #765
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
First record I bought as a kid with my own money was The Jackson Five's 3rd album. I grew up watching MJ grow up. I used to try to do his dance moves on the front porch when no one was looking.

When I was 5 or 6, my mom took me to Zody's to by a 45 of ABC (could that sentence be any more 70's?)

I also remember having a brutal argument with some neighbor kids over who was better, the Jackson 5 or the Osmonds!

Tags
michael jackson