Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 AM   #631
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:42 PM
I also don't understand the RUMOUR that he left the Beatles rights to Paul somehow wipes away what he did with them in the past.

HE. SOLD. THE. RIGHTS. TO. REVOLUTION. TO. NIKE.

Anyone old enough to remember when that commercial came out should remember the HUGE controversy when it did, and how many musicians were upset that this landmark song was being used to sell shoes.

"Songs like Revolution don't mean a pair of sneakers, they mean Revolution."
- Paul McCartney

Even MACCA was pissed.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #632
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Heath Ledger wasn't accused of molesting children, didn't have a disturbing fixation with them, or chop his face up with plastic surgery.

He also died when he was just staring to do some of his best work.

See the difference?
Right. But one of the first people on the scene was an Olson twin.

Regardless, you got me, Michael definitely wins the weirdo war by far, you win.

So I guess that makes it more a matter of showing respect to people who do care. Some people aren't capable of giving that respect, but I'm sure they'd be the first ones to cry foul if they weren't afforded the same respect when someone they admired died.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #633
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:42 AM
mooooooooooving on...

YouTube - (Michael Jackson) Billie Jean - Sungha Jung

One of the greatest melodies ever, beautiful arrangement, prodigy kid. A+ all around.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #634
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
So I guess that makes it more a matter of showing respect to people who do care. Some people aren't capable of giving that respect, but I'm sure they'd be the first ones to cry foul if they weren't afforded the same respect when someone they admired died.
I agree somewhat, but I do think that some of these people would understand the divisive nature of their celebrity, you know?

The admirable qualities of this guy's career should be remembered as well as the bad. Otherwise, it's just some revisionist view of history.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #635
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, some of us wouldn't be so hypocritical to admire someone so screwed up and then be upset if others didn't feel the same way.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #636
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I agree somewhat, but I do think that some of these people would understand the divisive nature of their celebrity, you know?

The admirable qualities of this guy's career should be remembered as well as the bad. Otherwise, it's just some revisionist view of history.
Oh, I agree. But is it really appropriate just minutes or hours after, when people are still kind of stunned, shaking their heads, letting it all sink in, and expressing their genuine thoughts and sadness online? There'll be plenty of time to deconstruct his life in the days to come.

Whatever. A couple of posts from me isn't going to instill general politeness into people. Have at it, if that's what makes you happy, I guess.

(not you, LMP, I was speaking in general.)
Old 06-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #637
Blue Crack Supplier

As I said before, I wonder if people would be this sensitive if O.J. just died, or would all bets be off? I'm curious if everyone is deserving of the same amount of respect and sympathy.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #638
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Well, some of us wouldn't be so hypocritical to admire someone so screwed up and then be upset if others didn't feel the same way.
Quote:

Whatever. A couple of posts from me isn't going to instill general politeness into people. Have at it, if that's what makes you happy, I guess.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #639
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
That's the risk people take when they spill their hearts out online. If you want a safe venue to sort out your emotions, you're better off meeting up with some friends and family... you know, in the real world.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #640
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

This thread is a perfect example of what happens whenever a 'controversial' celebrity passes. If a big well known celebrity that had no flaws or faults passed, all the responses would be and RIP, etc. While I think its a shame that some people feel the need to act so childish and callous, I know I cant change how people feel and there are bound to be some extreme debates and arguments. It's really just unfortunate that some people cannot have enough decency to just not say anything at all if they don't have anything nice to say. It's bad enough to be carrying on in this thread, but then to post even ruder things in other threads all over the forum. I've already tried to say more than once that this thread should be to discuss the events and pay your respects. If you have rude remarks or comments, or want to crack jokes, there are other threads to do that in. The guy was no saint by far, but as much of a pop legend as he was, I feel he deserves at least one thread where people can mourn and pay their respects.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #641
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Oh, I agree. But is it really appropriate just minutes or hours after, when people are still kind of stunned, shaking their heads, letting it all sink in, and expressing their genuine thoughts and sadness online? There'll be plenty of time to deconstruct his life in the days to come.

(not you, LMP, I was speaking in general.)
I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm still trying to grasp the whole attachment most people have to celebrities and this obsession with celebrity culture. It's amazing how his death overshadowed Farrah Fawcett's death (and to a lesser extent, Ed McMahon's), when in the end they're just two people who very few people actually know.

It's strange. I'm not condemning anyone for being emotional that someone has died, but why them, you know?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this. I'm sure someone can express it better than I have.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #642
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Well said Sicy. Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #643
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Maybe, for some reason, and to his fans, his contribution to music and pop culture more than compensates for his other failings (hanging his kid over the railing etc.)?

There's also a difference between someone molesting children, and being accused but found not guilty of molesting children.

And some might argue that his obsession with wrecking his body with all that surgical treatment was a means of self-expression, creating his own unique physical identity. As fucked up as his face ended up looking, he still looked more normal than those people who have tattoos all over their body and on their face, in my opinion anyway. Most tattoos are sheer heinous.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:44 AM   #644
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
This thread is a perfect example of what happens whenever a 'controversial' celebrity passes. If a big well known celebrity that had no flaws or faults passed, all the responses would be and RIP, etc. While I think its a shame that some people feel the need to act so childish and callous, I know I cant change how people feel and there are bound to be some extreme debates and arguments. It's really just unfortunate that some people cannot have enough decency to just not say anything at all if they don't have anything nice to say. It's bad enough to be carrying on in this thread, but then to post even ruder things in other threads all over the forum. I've already tried to say more than once that this thread should be to discuss the events and pay your respects. If you have rude remarks or comments, or want to crack jokes, there are other threads to do that in. The guy was no saint by far, but as much of a pop legend as he was, I feel he deserves at least one thread where people can mourn and pay their respects.

This is why I'm staying silent.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #645
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
This thread is a perfect example of what happens whenever a 'controversial' celebrity passes. If a big well known celebrity that had no flaws or faults passed, all the responses would be and RIP, etc. .
Sicy, the majority of what you said seems all well and good, but who else are you including in that "controversial" category? There's a difference between someone who was difficult to live with or treated their family like shit, and what MJ has in his bio.

Tags
michael jackson