Michael Jackson rushed to hospital - He was not breathing / Michael Jackson is dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to argue but I think her point is that in say Australia or Japan or Europe, if someone used the initials MJ in a sentence about a famous person, the first name that comes to mind would be Michael Jackson. And she's absolutely right, but I'll let our friends in other countries concur (or correct) on that.

Why, thank you Gabe :hug:

Bonomac likes to nitpick my comments, so I'm used to it :shrug:
I cannot wait to meet him in September (because I will make a point of it :wink: )

However, after seeing Zidane perform last night, I'm inclined to think a couple footballers/soccer players are more popular (as for recognizability, hmm...)

Don't believe it for one second.
And I lived on 3 different continents for many years.

I, too, have lived on different continents, traveled extensively, and was astounded that Jordan was referenced quite a bit, sometimes in the most random of ways. Not saying he was as popular as Michael Jackson, but in my experience, I noticed Jordan's popularity.

Bonomac likes to nitpick my comments, so I'm used to it :shrug:

What?

Michael Jordan is the MOST recognizable athlete on the planet, next to Muhammed Ali. :shrug:

Eh.....dont kid yourself. I couldnt pick Michael Jordan out in a line up of three people. And al wager most people in the uk would be the same!
Outside US...basketball is not a popular sport. But hey....theres only about 5.7 billion people outside the US...so they dont really count:huh:

\
Outside US...basketball is not a popular sport.

I'll point you in the direction of China with millions of recreational players, not to mention Europe and South America. I realize it's not as popular as soccer, but it is expanding its global reach, and with that comes recognition of its biggest and most well-known star—MJ. But nice try.

Anyway, not to take away from the thread. I'm sad that Jackson has passed.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Childhood (Video)

Have you seen my Childhood?
I'm searching for the world that I come from
'Cause I've been looking around
In the lost and found of my heart...
No one understands me
They view it as such strange eccentricities...
'Cause I keep kidding around
Like a child, but pardon me...

People say I'm not okay
'Cause I love such elementary things...
It's been my fate to compensate,
for the Childhood
I've never known...

I'm searching for that wonder in my youth
Like pirates in adventurous dreams,
Of conquest and kings on the throne...

Before you judge me, try hard to love me,
Look within your heart then ask,

People say I'm strange that way
'Cause I love such elementary things,
for the Childhood (Childhood) I've never known...

Like fantastical stories to share
But the dreams I would dare, watch me fly...

Before you judge me, try hard to love me.
The painful youth I've had

Have you seen my Childhood....

Fuck.

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier about the MJ's, but at least we got to see them in a video together. I think at the end of the video, they show Jackson trying to teach Jordan how to dance. It was kind of funny. Oh yeah, the video was Jam and I believe it was popular during the Spring/Summer of 1992. It was a good time for both. Jackson wasn't under investigation yet and Jordan was in the middle of winning his first 3 NBA Championships and his father hadn't been murdered yet. I can't believe that was 17 years ago.

Here's the best way to qualify this. Which of these is better?

chaos-windy-city-video-game.jpg

sega-genesis-michael-jackson-moonwalker.jpg

The smart money's on Jordan.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Childhood (Video)

I'm searching for the world that I come from
'Cause I've been looking around
In the lost and found of my heart...
No one understands me
They view it as such strange eccentricities...
'Cause I keep kidding around
Like a child, but pardon me...

People say I'm not okay
'Cause I love such elementary things...
for the Childhood
I've never known...

Like pirates in adventurous dreams,
Of conquest and kings on the throne...

Before you judge me, try hard to love me,
Look within your heart then ask,

People say I'm strange that way
'Cause I love such elementary things,
for the Childhood (Childhood) I've never known...

Like fantastical stories to share
But the dreams I would dare, watch me fly...

Before you judge me, try hard to love me.
The painful youth I've had

Have you seen my Childhood....

Fuck.

That is so heartbreaking. How anyone could feel anything but pity for this man is beyond me. He literally had no childhood. He knew nothing but work and performing and being a robot from the time he was a little boy. They showed parts of the Martin Bashir documentary on Nightline last night, and I started crying again when Michael started talking about how he would cry as a kid looking out the studio windows at Hitsville U.S.A. when other kids would be out having fun and playing baseball because he wished he could join them, but he never could. Obviously he needed mental help, but you can't blame somebody that was not only physically, mentally, and emotionally abused for their entire young life but was also a global superstar from the time you he was in his early 20s (and a national superstar from the time he was about 9) for not being able to assimilate normally into life. That's a learned behavior. You can't emulate something you've never experienced or seen in your own life.

I, too, have lived on different continents, traveled extensively, and was astounded that Jordan was referenced quite a bit, sometimes in the most random of ways. Not saying he was as popular as Michael Jackson, but in my experience, I noticed Jordan's popularity.

What?

I'm pretty sure OJ takes the award :wink:

The BBC has a list of tributes from people who knew Michael, from Madonna to one of his former bodyguards, in case anyone would like to check it out. Some very touching words there.

Tributes

My favorite one, from his former bodyguard:

"He's the most misunderstood man in world. Everyone thought he was this weird freak but when you're with him he's as normal as everyone else. I don't think he felt he was as famous as everyone else thought, he didn't know any different.

"He was a very caring guy who would go out of his way to help the sick. One night in London he wanted to see some homeless people. He sent them loads of pizzas in secret. The guy had a good heart."

This is phrased like he was going to the zoo and feeding the animals people food.

You realize this says more about you than Michael Jackson.

You just got a big hard on for the guy. A bit odd.

For someone who lived pretty sheltered from the outside world, maybe he actually did need and want "to see some homeless people." Maybe he needed to see it to believe it because it was so far from his reality. The bodyguard was just relaying something that was memorable for him. Who cares whether he phrased it exactly right or not.

Gvox, that video :sad:

I have always felt he was misunderstood. Imagine living your life that way..with people thinking you've done some unimaginable thing? We can't even fathom how life must have been for him. He was a lover, not a fighter. Gave those people that money to be done with the situation. It was not an admission of guilt.

Now he can live in peace..just imagine the reception he must have had!

Thanks for the music, Michael...

I know. Everything Michael is cleaned out, at least where I went. I bought his albums on iTunes a long time ago, but I want CDs now too. My mom's rage over her "Thriller" record being stolen has now returned in full force.

Nothing at either store I went to. The radio is still playing a lot of his and the Jackson Five's music, I lost it when I'll Be There came on. That song always does it for me anyway but especially today.

My mom had a garage sale a few weeks ago and I was digging through my stuff and I found my Moonwalker video (along with some NKOTB vids :lol: ). When I go over there this weekend I might have to pop it into the vcr...

Uhm, I don't think this Mike Luckovich cartoon is in good taste.

ajc.com | Mike Luckovich Cartoons | ajc.com

He was just on CNN, and Luckovich pointed out that while MJ was a great talent, he did leave some serious questions in his life.

Well, he's not wrong. The cartoon does reflect what a lot of people are thinking. A lot of those people who are mourning him are thinking it, too, they're just choosing to remember him for the good instead of the controversial and the unknown.

Holy shit, anyone watching CNN? Even Superman is waiting in line at Michael's star in the walk of fame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom