Maguire Set To Return As Spider-Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Just pulled this off the BBC website.

'Spider-Man actor Tobey Maguire is close to agreeing a deal to return for two more films in the comic book franchise, according to reports.

Industry paper Hollywood Reporter said director Sam Raimi was also in talks about returning at the helm.

Sony's Columbia Pictures quashed speculation over whether Maguire would return as Peter Parker and said there was no question he would be back.

The first three Spider-Man films grossed $2.5bn (£1.4bn) worldwide.

"The studio never considered any other actor. Tobey was our only choice and the only person we've discussed the role with," Sony spokesman Steve Elzer said.

In hope of containing costs, Columbia is considering shooting the films back-to-back, starting in autumn 2009, much like The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which filmed simultaneously for 274 days.

Producer Laura Ziskin said she was aiming for a May 2011 release date for Spider-Man 4, nine years after the original movie's debut.

The studio declined comment on which villains might appear in the next two films or whether Kirsten Dunst would reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson.'

I'm glad they seem to be going with Tobey again, I've always enjoyed him in the role and recasting in a franchise like this is always going to be difficult.

I absolutely loved Spider-Man 2 and still think its one of the greatest comic book movies ever made, but was extremely disappointed with Spider-Man 3, here's hoping that if they do do a fourth film its more in line with the concise simplicity of the second outing and they don't overload it with too many villians and too many subplots.

Not just another Spidey, but back-to-back sequels. Raimi's been locked to return for both as well.

The dude that wrote Zodiac wrote the screenplay, which has a 2-movie arc, apparently.

I've always enjoyed the Spidey series, except for the shitty 3rd movie, but it hasn't been my favorite. I'm looking forward to these new films though.

Cha-ching!

Raimi=WHORE. Maguire=WHORE.

May the gods of cinema strike this project dead before it goes into production.

For shame.

lol wut?

I personally don't see those two doing anything worthwhile out of this franchise anyway, so I'm glad to see this kind of news. Evil Dead 4? Fuck that.

Cha-ching!

Raimi=WHORE. Maguire=WHORE.

May the gods of cinema strike this project dead before it goes into production.

For shame.

:lmao: Typical laz overreaction!

I look forward to this one even though #3 was a bit of a mess.

Is this official LMP?

It's been discussed for a while and seems to be getting some serious consideration, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Nikki Finke’s Deadline Hollywood Daily � EXCLUSIVE: Sony Locks In Sam Raimi & Tobey Maguire in ‘Spider-Man 4′; Studio May Shoot ‘4′ and ‘5′ At The Same Time

The assertion that Raimi made the first "serious" superhero film is ridiculous.

If the script allows for it, then I'd support it. I don't want to see another Pirates-esque "We'll write as well go" approach.

3 never really worked for me, Raimi tried to cram way too much in, as soon as I heard that the film would include Goblin, Sandman and Venom I started to have my doubts. Raimi's actually gone on record as saying that he never really liked Venom but was pressured into incorporating him by the studio, always a bad sign when the director gets saddled with something he's not really interested in.

The characters didn't seem to be fleshed out and all too often their motives were too obscure, I had a hard time caring about Sandman, Brock or Gwen Stacy, they never came to life for me. Venom just seemed tacked on and really didn't do much when he finally arrived.

Exploring Peter's darker side was the basis for a brilliant Spider-Man movie, something really compelling and powerful and (if it had been handled correctly) could have topped the second and bought the whole trilogy to a fantastic finish, sadly it wasn't to be.

There's always Spidey 2 though.

(With that said I do love the whole bell tower scene in 3, right from Spidey perched on the side of the building in the rain to tearing off the suit and infecting Eddie, very evocative stuff)

Though I'm ruining some of the surprise, he does make a cameo, and it was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Check it out on Redbox or something when it's available to rent.

That's why Sony is so quick to put another film, or films, into production. I read, don't quote me here, that if they don't get one out by 2011, the rights defer back to Marvel Studios, and they have creative control over the franchise. The studio would act more as a distributor at that point.

If they must continue to make Spiderman movies, I for one don't want to see it go to Marvel studios. I know everyone is jizzing themselves over their so-called revival and all that, but honestly, Iron Man didn't hold a candle to the Spidey films as a whole (or The Dark Knight for that matter, though of course that isn't a Marvel property) and The Incredible Hulk was a steamy clump of poo.

Back
Top Bottom