Mad Men II: A Man For All Seasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobvok

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Who's Afraid of Pete Campbell?
The Hippies Are Coming, The Hippies Are Coming!
The Good, The Bad, and the Betty
Sallie

You rarely hear Beatles songs in movies, and just about never on TV, for two very good reasons: It’s prohibitively expensive to license them (as FORBES contributor Roger Friedman noted), and even then they’re not always for sale. In the face of these obstacles, directors who want to put Beatles songs on their soundtracks often end up settling for cover versions, which require them to license only the publishing rights, not the rights to the master recording.

Weiner cleared the first hurdle by making a personal appeal, which succeeded only because the surviving Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, are “huge fans of the show,” according to the Canadian Press.

That leaves the issue of money. Between licensing the publishing rights from Sony ATV Publishing and the rights to the master held by EMI, sources estimate Lionsgate spent somewhere in the six-figure range. One knowledgeable source puts the combined sum at around $250,000.

Link

Personally, I'm curious how it will play on the DVD/Blu-Rays. Based on its importance to the episode, they pretty much would have had to guarantee that as part of the cost as well.

Dawson's Creek, Freaks and Geeks, and WKRP in Cincinnati all had difficulty with DVD releases due to clearing rights for otherwise broadcast music. I actually don't doubt Mad Men has the resources to secure TNK for the S5 set, but I think Forbes skipped past the extra cost of it.

Anybody else feel that Sally is going to go wild in just a few short years?

Wait.

Hold up.

Hold the fuck up.

No way.

No fucking way.

Get outta here.

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD!

Yeah, sounds like its 7 seasons, but... who's to say how much time would pass by the time we get there? Kiernan Shipka is talented enough, the time period would be fertile enough, and the show has invested enough time in her character (RIP Bobby Draper!) that it'd make sense for Weiner to push a bit and have her high school years start soon.

Plus the actor will be growing like a weed over the next few years anyway so the show has to keep up.

Dawson's Creek, Freaks and Geeks, and WKRP in Cincinnati all had difficulty with DVD releases due to clearing rights for otherwise broadcast music. I actually don't doubt Mad Men has the resources to secure TNK for the S5 set, but I think Forbes skipped past the extra cost of it.

As another example, The Wonder Years, which finished in 1993, still has not, and likely never will, see a DVD release, and the reason, according to most sources, is music rights for all those 60s songs in show. The whole series is available on Netflix Instant and Amazon Prime now, with most(but not all) of the music in tact, so I guess maybe it doesn't cost as much to have the music in streamed episodes?

Airing in a first-run episode doesn't necessarily mean it will be on the DVD/Blu-Ray, although I doubt Weiner would've gone through the trouble of getting it if it couldn't be on the DVD/Blu-Ray.

Some of my favorite moments of season 4 occurred near the end:

• Sally describing eternity thusly: "like the Land O Lakes Indian girl...did you ever notice that she's holding a box with a picture of her holding a box?"
  • Peggy reaching her peak sexiness in that one post-coital scene with Abe
  • The renewed focus on office matters with the loss of the Lucky Strike account
  • The look of surprise on the Draper family's face to see a mother figure (Megan) NOT flip the fuck out over a spilled milkshake the way Betty would have
  • That surreal, picturesque scene with Sally and Glen, Glen suited up either preceding or following a football game
  • Don finally discovering a kernel of happiness

After a crappy start, I think season 4 was quite solid overall. Curious to see how the dynamic changes, if at all, with the Harrises in Rye. Also, how long the engagement of Don and Megan carries on. I get the sense that this could be a thing.

NY Times

May 7, 2012

How ‘Mad Men’ Landed The Beatles: All You Need Is Love (and $250,000)
By DAVE ITZKOFF and BEN SISARIO

In most cases, “Mad Men” is bound by the history of the era in which it takes place. But on Sunday night, a new episode of that 1960s period drama that concluded with the Beatles song “Tomorrow Never Knows” appears to have made some history of its own, marking a rare instance in which a song written and recorded by that band has been licensed for use on a television series.

“It was always my feeling that the show lacked a certain authenticity because we never could have an actual master recording of the Beatles performing,” Matthew Weiner, the creator and show runner of “Mad Men,” said in a telephone interview on Monday. “Not just someone singing their song or a version of their song, but them, doing a song in the show. It always felt to me like a flaw. Because they are the band, probably, of the 20th century.”

As with most transactions that involve the Beatles, that usage did not come cheap. According to two people briefed on the deal, who were not authorized to speak about it, Lionsgate, the studio that produces “Mad Men,” paid about $250,000 for the recording and publishing rights to the song. That is an appropriately high price, several music and advertising executives say, since many major pop songs can be licensed for less than $100,000.

Mr. Weiner declined to discuss the licensing costs, but said: “Whatever people think, this is not about money. It never is. They are concerned about their legacy and their artistic impact.”

Covers of Beatles songs turn up in various media, but the band’s own recordings are rarely heard on television or in films. The surviving Beatles and their heirs are known to be very picky licensors, turning down almost every request.

Aside from songs that have been played in the occasional commercial or the Beatles cartoon series that was shown on ABC in the 1960s, the use of “Tomorrow Never Knows” on “Mad Men” is likely one of the only times that a Beatles track has been used in a TV show, music and advertising executives say.

Jeff Jones, the head of Apple Corps, the Beatles’ company, wrote in an e-mail on Monday that it was the first such license in the five years he has been with the group, although he said he could not be sure about earlier uses that predate his time at the company. Mr. Weiner said he was told it was the only time a Beatles song has been in a television show, other than the band’s live performances.

Near the end of the “Mad Men” episode, titled “Lady Lazarus” and written by Mr. Weiner, the advertising executive Don Draper (played by Jon Hamm) finds himself struggling to understand youth culture and is given a copy of the Beatles album “Revolver,” a new release in the summer of 1966.

But instead of starting his listening experience with the album’s acerbic lead-off track, “Taxman,” Draper instead skips to its final – and, shall we say, more experimental – song, “Tomorrow Never Knows,” contemplating it for a few puzzled moments before he shuts it off. (That psychedelic song, with its signature percussion loops and distorted John Lennon vocals, also plays over the closing credits of the episode.)

Mr. Weiner said he had been trying “for a few years” to get different Beatles songs onto “Mad Men,” but had been rejected by Apple Corps in the past.

To win the company’s approval in this case, Mr. Weiner said, “I had to do a couple things that I don’t like doing, which is share my story line and share my pages.” He added that he received the approval from Apple Corps last fall, about a month before filming started on the episode.

“It was hard,” Mr. Weiner said, “because I had to, writing-wise, commit to the story that I thought was worthy of this incredible opportunity. The thing about that song in particular was, the Beatles are, throughout their intense existence, constantly pushing the envelope, and I really wanted to show how far ahead of the culture they were. That song to me is revolutionary, as is that album.” (Asked what he would have done if Apple Corps had once again said no, Mr. Weiner replied: “I don’t know. I would have changed the story.”)

Though “Lady Lazarus” has its own story line about the difficulty – if not impossibility – of getting the Beatles to license their songs for television, Mr. Weiner said the use of “Tomorrow Never Knows” was not meant to be self-referential or self-congratulatory.

“Even people who are not in the clearances and rights business were struck by the fact that that was actually the Beatles,” he said. “You just get the satisfaction of knowing that was not an imitation and it’s that recording.”

(Another bit of Beatles trivia referenced in the episode: “September in the Rain,” the Wedgewoods track that Draper and his colleagues contemplate as a substitute for an authentic Fab Four tune, is one of 15 songs the Beatles performed at a 1962 audition for Decca Records. That label turned them down, the Beatles signed with Parlophone, and the rest is twisting, shouting, walrus-identifying history.)

Despite the assumption of some audience members that “Mad Men” had broken its music-licensing budget for the season on this one song, Mr. Weiner said this was not the case.

“You cannot buy your way into these things,” he said. “In my heart, I operate in a realistic world because I’m producing a TV show. I never, ever think about that – ‘Oh, let’s not have a song here so I can save some money.’”

Mr. Weiner pointed to another “Mad Men” episode from earlier this season, in which a Beach Boys song is played during a character’s LSD trip. “No one ever asked, ‘What does it cost to have’ that song?” he said. “You think that that’s free?”

Just saw this on msn. Not sexy enough? :lmao: Wonder if that was a man or woman. Definitely have to check out that Actors Studio.

'Mad Men' star Jon Hamm: Not sexy enough to be Don Draper?
May 7, 2012

By Kimberly Potts
TheWrap

"Mad Men" star Jon Hamm had to audition seven times to nab the career-making role of suave ad man Don Draper because a network executive worried he wasn't "sexy enough," series creator Matt Weiner reveals during the May 14 episode of Bravo's "Inside the Actors Studio."

Seven "Mad Men" cast members -- Hamm, January Jones, Vincent Kartheiser, Christina Hendricks, John Slattery, Jared Harris and Kiernan Shipka -- plus Weiner, sat down for a chat with "Actors Studio" host James Lipton, who shared a few tidbits from the upcoming episode in his blog at Bravotv.com.

Lipton, who says he happily watched every episode of the Emmy-winning AMC drama in preparation for the cast interview, says, for instance, that Kartheiser says he and his character, Pete Campbell, are creepy.

Meanwhile, 12-year-old scene-stealer Shipka, who plays Don's daughter Sally, waited in a dressing room with her mom while the cast discussed with Lipton the show's more risqué topics, and when she did finally join her castmates onstage -- at midnight -- she wowed the audience with a performance of her ballet skills, Lipton shares.

After a crappy start, I think season 4 was quite solid overall. Curious to see how the dynamic changes, if at all, with the Harrises in Rye. Also, how long the engagement of Don and Megan carries on. I get the sense that this could be a thing.

Season 5 has been interesting.
Things do not go where you always expect them to go. This is not the best season. The season opened with 2 hours, most people liked the second more than the first.

iyOvh.gif

Probably the pinnacle of my television-watching life.

I think they only have 2 seasons left? Did I read that somewhere. She will only be 14.

I didn't mean that they would show that, just that her character is destined for that--even if we never see it.

Just saw this on msn. Not sexy enough? :lmao: Wonder if that was a man or woman. Definitely have to check out that Actors Studio.

'Mad Men' star Jon Hamm: Not sexy enough to be Don Draper?
May 7, 2012

By Kimberly Potts
TheWrap

"Mad Men" star Jon Hamm had to audition seven times to nab the career-making role of suave ad man Don Draper because a network executive worried he wasn't "sexy enough," series creator Matt Weiner reveals during the May 14 episode of Bravo's "Inside the Actors Studio."

Seven "Mad Men" cast members -- Hamm, January Jones, Vincent Kartheiser, Christina Hendricks, John Slattery, Jared Harris and Kiernan Shipka -- plus Weiner, sat down for a chat with "Actors Studio" host James Lipton, who shared a few tidbits from the upcoming episode in his blog at Bravotv.com.

Lipton, who says he happily watched every episode of the Emmy-winning AMC drama in preparation for the cast interview, says, for instance, that Kartheiser says he and his character, Pete Campbell, are creepy.

Meanwhile, 12-year-old scene-stealer Shipka, who plays Don's daughter Sally, waited in a dressing room with her mom while the cast discussed with Lipton the show's more risqué topics, and when she did finally join her castmates onstage -- at midnight -- she wowed the audience with a performance of her ballet skills, Lipton shares.

I wonder why Elisabeth Moss wasn't there?

Add to the list of things, I did not know:

Freddy Rumsen pissed his pants (knew that)

mm9-freddie.jpg

I think this character actor, Joel Murray has been outstanding, top notch

also did good work in Qscar winner, The Artist

When the fire broke out, Uggie, a Jack Russell Terrier, was inside the apartment with his owner, silent film star George Valentin. Madly jumping and barking, Uggie tried in vain to get Valentin to leave the building. In desperation, Uggie ran out of the open door and down the street until he found a policeman,Joel Murray, persistently trying to get his attention, even tugging on a pant leg. Finally, Uggie’s relentless coaxing convinced the cop to follow him home, where smoke was billowing from the building.

well, I did not know Joel is Bill Murray's kid brother

I am glad to know this great actor is getting to finally play a lead in a film

6a00d8341c630a53ef0163056aa14a970d-600wi

Murray said, “When he sent me the script and I read it and called him, I said, ‘It’s great, do you want me to be the guy in the office, the boss, what do you want me to be?’ He said, ‘No, I want you to be Frank.’ ‘You want me to be the Guy?’”

Joel Murray, kid brother of Bill, gets a starring role - latimes.com

and I love the concept

A few comments on the first couple episodes of season 5:

• The LAST TIME, ON AMC'S MAD MEN shit is hilariously bad, somehow more so than on other, crappier shows
  • Megan's legs are unbelievable
  • The party scene bored the shit out of me for the most part, just a bunch of people walking around and saying things for a half hour (which I guess sums up most TV shows/life, but anyway)
  • Dawn/Don
  • Megan saying that she loved Sally without mentioning Bobby or Gene was pretty funny, definitely something I could relate to
  • Fat, neurotic Betty could be interesting
  • The Jew copywriter seems interesting as well; very much an asshole, but not unlikable...SCDP needed some edge/controversy anyhow
  • Pete is a giant piece of shit that needs to be beaten to a pulp in front of everyone; the scene where he announced Mohawk to be his account somehow irked me more than him raping that au pair

Not a bad start to the season. Pete getting punched in the face has to be coming up soon, so I have that to look forward to. Also, Don has to decide if he's a Beatles man or a Stones man at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom