Mackenzie Phillips: "I had sex with my Dad"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
Mackenzie Phillips says she had sex with her dad - Yahoo! News

Mackenzie Phillips says she had sex with her dad

45 mins ago

CHICAGO – Former child star Mackenzie Phillips said Wednesday that she had a decade-long sexual relationship with her father, pop superstar John Phillips, who also taught her how to roll joints and injected her with cocaine.

Mackenzie Phillips, 49, writes in her new book, "High on Arrival," that she had sex with her father on the night before she was to get married in 1979 at age 19.

Phillips wrote in her book: "I woke up that night from a blackout to find myself having sex with my own father." John Phillips, who died in 2001, was the leader of the 1960s group the Mamas and the Papas.

She told "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in an interview that aired Wednesday that her siblings "definitely have a problem with this." Winfrey also read a statement from Genevieve Waite, John Phillips' wife at the time of the alleged abuse and Mackenzie's stepmother. Waite's statement said John Phillips was "incapable, no matter how drunk or drugged he was, of having such a relationship with his own child."

Phillips, 49, who starred on TV's "One Day at a Time," said the sexual relationship with her father lasted a decade and ended when she became pregnant and didn't know who had fathered the child. She had an abortion, which her father paid for, and "and I never let him touch me again."

Phillips' mother is Susan Adams, the first of John Phillips' four wives. He was also married for eight years to "Mamas and Papas" singer and co-founder Michelle Phillips.

Phillips has long acknowledged having drug problems, and she told Winfrey that she first tried cocaine when she was 11 years old. Her father did drugs with her, taught her to roll joints and injected her with cocaine. Phillips said she's been clean for a year after pleading guilty to possessing cocaine and entering a drug treatment program.

She said she confronted her father in the early stages of the abuse, which she described as rape.

"My dad said, 'Raped you? Don't you mean when we made love?' And in that moment I thought, 'Wow, I'm really on my own here,'" Phillips said. She learned to turn her anger toward herself and "boxed it away" rather than think about the drug-fueled incest, she said.

Phillips said she doesn't hate her father, who died in 2001 of heart failure at the age of 65.

"I understand that he was a very tortured man and ... passed that torture down to me," she said.

Phillips said the sexual relationship, although she believes it eventually became consensual, was "an abuse of power" and "a betrayal" on her father's part. She said she forgave John Phillips on his deathbed.

"I can't be the only one this has happened to," Phillips said. "Someone needs to put a face on consensual incest." Her book was in the top 20 on Amazon.com as of Wednesday afternoon, but it wouldn't be the first popular book about consensual incest. In 1997, novelist Kathryn Harrison had a best-seller with "The Kiss," a memoir about her affair with her father.

John Phillips, who also had an acknowledged history of drug abuse, co-founded the Mamas and the Papas and helped write its biggest hits, including "California Dreamin'" and "Monday Monday." He also helped organize the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, which helped introduce Jimi Hendrix to American audiences.

Some of that sixties crowd turned decadence into outright immorality.

A disgusting and evil thing to do, if this is true, but Michael Jackson did a lot worse, yet the media gives him a free pass for some unknown reason. Possibly they are afraid of the siren calls of 'racism'.

The Mamas and Papas were a great band, not necessarily great people.

I've heard many women look for guys that remind them of their father.... :yikes:

Some of that sixties crowd turned decadence into outright immorality.

A disgusting and evil thing to do, if this is true, but Michael Jackson did a lot worse, yet the media gives him a free pass for some unknown reason. Possibly they are afraid of the siren calls of 'racism'.

The Mamas and Papas were a great band, not necessarily great people.

Jackson was ACCUSED of doing much worse.

I am neither a Jackson lover or hater. What does shit me though is that the legal system is in place for a reason, and people tend to believe in it so long as it serves their own means. Fact of the matter is in any democratic society you are innocent until proven guilty. I must have missed Jacksons conviction....

If he did do it, he should have fried, and unfortunately there are some instances where the system fails, but unless you were present at the event (which would be EVEN worse letting it happen) you cannot say WITH ABSOLUTE TRUTH AND CONVICTION that he did it.

End of story

Jackson was ACCUSED of doing much worse.

I am neither a Jackson lover or hater. What does shit me though is that the legal system is in place for a reason, and people tend to believe in it so long as it serves their own means. Fact of the matter is in any democratic society you are innocent until proven guilty. I must have missed Jacksons conviction....

If he did do it, he should have fried, and unfortunately there are some instances where the system fails, but unless you were present at the event (which would be EVEN worse letting it happen) you cannot say WITH ABSOLUTE TRUTH AND CONVICTION that he did it.

End of story

And OJ isn't a double murderer.

:rolleyes:

I watched her on Oprah, I was stunned. I don't know what to say either, except that she's very forthright and honest-and not just about others but about herself and the mistakes she has made. I agree with her when she says that even though she calls it consensual, it is ultimately an abuse of trust and power. The parent still has that no matter what is deemed or called consensual.

Chynna Phillips is going to be on Oprah Friday, I wonder what she'll say. Obviously Mackenzie has much to lose in terms of her family by talking about this. What exactly did she have to gain? Selling books vs going through what she will go through..I know what I would pick if it was me. She could have sold plenty of books just based upon her Mick Jagger and drug stories and all that.

Chynna knew about this 10 years ago, so I imagine she'll be coming on to show her support and basically verify the claims as best she can.

And the Mick Jagger thing is fucked up. I think he slept with her right when she turned 18, and he said something about having waited years to do so.

Exclusive: Michelle Phillips Says Mackenzie is Lying About Papa John | The Hollywood Reporter | Showbiz 411

Michelle says that she did tell everyone in their extended family in 1997

I thought yesterday that she would have already gone to a psychiatrist years ago about all of this, I don't think that question was asked unless I missed that part.

It’s not like Michelle Phillips hasn’t been critical of John in the past. She told me: “John was a bad parent, and a drug addict. But [expletive deleted] his daughter? If she thinks it’s true, why isn’t she with a good psychiatrist on a couch? I think it’s unconscionable that Oprah would let her do her show. I have every reason to believe it’s untrue. Oprah should be more judicious about who she has on her show.”

Michelle added: “Mackenzie has a lot of mental illness. She’s had a needle stuck up her arm for 35 years. She was arrested for heroin and coke just recently. She did ‘Celebrity Rehab’ and now she writes a book. The whole thing is timed.” Michelle said it’s particularly ironic since her own daughter, Chynna, of Wilson Phillips fame, Mackenzie’s half sister, is releasing a new album this week.

“Mackenzie is jealous of her siblings, who have accomplished a lot and did not become drug addicts.”

Like Michelle Phillips is one to be pointing fingers. Or was that someone else married to Dennis Hopper for eight days back in the early 70's?

"Mackenzie Phillips says she had sex with her dad

45 mins ago"

Looks like it's still going on.

I've been a huge fan of the Mamas and the Papas for years. I cried when Papa John and Papa Denny died. And before this news broke, I was listening to the Mamas and the Papas in my car and my iTunes for about 3 days. Then this happens.

I'm not quite sure what to believe. I know John was no saint, but I just don't understand why Mackenzie would come out and say all this now. He's not here to defend himself...not that he would admit to this anyway. But it all just seems to bizarre to believe. He and Mac were so heavily into drugs, I guess it's somewhat believable that it happened. But it happened more than once over a ten-year span, according to Mac. And it also became consensual. Which is the part that I really don't get. Why would she agree to sleep with her own father? Was she doing it so he'd get her drugs? I don't get it. It all seems too messed up and too fishy.

I'm trying not to let this all spoil my love for the music; even John's solo career. But at least I can still like Denny and his Tugboat show. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom