Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #46
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I work with kids all the time that tried telling others YEARS before anyone would actually believe them.
yeah, i can imagine. thankfully i've never personally experienced anything like that, but for the courage for anyone to come forward with a story like this and to not be believed? it's just so sad. i know very, very rarely people do make up incest/rape stories but they're the exception, not the norm. it really saddens me that some people always default to the excuse that they must be lying about it.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
yeah, i can imagine. thankfully i've never personally experienced anything like that, but for the courage for anyone to come forward with a story like this and to not be believed? it's just so sad. i know very, very rarely people do make up incest/rape stories but they're the exception, not the norm. it really saddens me that some people always default to the excuse that they must be lying about it.
To be fair, it's so shocking that you naturally want to reject it. Most parents/teachers/etc go into shock when they hear a child talk about it and if they haven't thought through the proper response before hand they will try to restore an equilibrium in the relationship. That's why we spend so much time training teachers and have made so many professions mandatory reporters. The more we take the decision out of people's hands, the better we respond to children's needs.

That being said, I'll be in court this week with a family in which the child made an untrue accusation last year that has devastated the family in every way imaginable.