Louie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Figured someone might as well make it, and I just watched the pilot and loved it. I'm weary of reading too much, as I see the reception it's already garnered is astronomic and I don't want to not quite live up to expectations (as happened to me with AD, as good as that was).

Anyway I laughed a fair bit during the pilot, and there really aren't that many shows on TV where I actually laugh out loud. I lost it when he was like "she's been having a rough week... we went to the doctors and it turns out she's got an infected vagina."

I'll be plowing through all the episodes up on sidereel, as I wait for Community, Parks & Rec and HIMYM...

Discuss, laugh, quote, appreciate!

Louis CK is the funniest comedian out. I found the pilot to be a little uneven... You could probably say that for the whole first season, but it's still a great show and very enjoyable. His psychiatrist kills me

I watched that bag of dicks routine... and it was really funny (esp the whole analysis, "does he want me to suck the side of the bag? or each dick individually?") but I gotta say I find it really weird seeing these in-depth critical analyses of his comedy and this show, given he is a stand-up comic. It's sort of rare to see that with comedy routines/shows.

You should look for a few of his full length stand up DVDs. You will pee yourself with laughter

I think I will next time I drop into JB! He was hilarious as too-nice cop Dave on Parks & Rec too, I was actually shattered his character didn't stay on.

I used to watch this years ago when it was on.. then it disappeared for awhile and now its back. I've got some eps dvr'd just gotta get around to watching them. Dude is funny as shit.

I'm just going to bring this potential discussion over here from the tv thread then and see if it goes anywhere:

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but after a couple episodes I started to notice a Woody Allen-type absurdity in some of the scenes, not just the childhood flashbacks but the present-day stuff as well. What's unique is that it effortlessly slips back into what is a pretty realistically-shot show in terms of aesthetic.

And then there's the recurring use of that old-time Woody music, which says to me that my observation is probably not off-base in terms of Louis' intent.

We really should give this show its own thread.

I've been thinking a lot about Allen as well watching the show, mainly for the music, bouts of surrealism, the obvious connective tissue of the narratives spinning outward from a stand-up comedian's sense of rhythm and observation. And of course the central protagonist's murky relationship with New York City. It's really the kind of television series I'd expect Allen to make if he were a bit less neurotic and a bit more blue-collar. But what I love most about it is exactly what that article I posted highlighted, mainly the structure of the series as a spiraling, elliptical almost non-narrative series of vignettes that nonetheless coheres skit by skit into such an expansive world-view. It also might be my single favorite work of television aesthetically, as a side bar.

Louie's lack of continuity, or continuity resets rather, are refreshing within the sitcom format. The actress who played Mrs. Samski was his date in "Bully" and then later his mother in "God," which drastically differed from the previous portrayal of his mother earlier in Season 1. That sort of automatic refresh allows for him to have a sister in one episode and a brother in other to suit the narrative of the vignette.

Sicy said:
I used to watch this years ago when it was on.. then it disappeared for awhile and now its back. I've got some eps dvr'd just gotta get around to watching them. Dude is funny as shit.

The older one was a different show though. Lucky Louie was more like a 70s/early 80s sitcom with it's intentionally phony sets and general style. I hated it at first, but found it to be endearing after a couple episodes

Ah is it? I didnt research it really just saw 'Louie' was back and set up the DVR.

I've been a Louie fan for a while. His Lucky Louie show was OK but I didn't like the actress who played his wife. The new Louie show is funnier. His standup is hysterical and he is funny on talk shows also. :up::up::up:

Ah is it? I didnt research it really just saw 'Louie' was back and set up the DVR.

If you liked the old one, you'll probably still like the new one :) Bit of a different premise and higher production values, but still his sense of humour

Oh dear, the episode with the school mom who offers him casual sex? Wow.

And the final stand-up where he goes off on that table in the audience?

Getting better and better.

Guest star spoiler

Dr Ricky Gervais' description of Louie's dick had me in tears

Love the show as well.

The episode that has stood out for me so far this season was the road trip episode, where they went to visit Louie's racist Great Aunt or whatever.

Everything in the car ride was perfect. Louie rocking out on that awesome take on "Who Are You?"

And then he schools his daughters with all the "you aren't allowed to be bored" stuff.

"You live in an amazing world, of which you have seen like NONE percent, and you possess limitless minds" etc.,etc.

I'm paraphrasing, but that shit was great.

We love you. We really do. And we think you're angels. And we want you to drown in our cum. We want to drench your angel wings that take you to heaven in our sticky, gooey, disgusting jism.

:lol:

I also lost it in the pilot when his date was like "I wish I knew we were going somewhere fancy" and he was like "my Dad died... we have reunions for the funeral..."

Subway/Pamela.

Unbelievable. Masterpiece.

And I think I'm in love with Pamela now.

Did you guys know she was on the old Lucky Louis show also?

Agreed, the Schindler's List bit was great.

The actress that plays Pamela also plays one of the main characters on Californication. Pretty similar character, too. Feisty and brutally honest.

Obviously, Californication isn't all that similar to Louie (what is?) but it's fucking funny and also pretty damn poignant at times. Not to derail, but I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Especially the first two seasons. I think you'd probably like it, Laz. Duchovny as a womanizing alcoholic writer with a heart of gold, set in Los Angeles.

I'm starting from the beginning. I like that there appears to be an emotional arc of sorts happening in the first few episodes, which is rare for shows of its ilk. I thought the stand up was really conservative in the pilot, but a couple episodes later he was making beastiality jokes, so there goes that.

Definitely funny shit. Gervais was brilliant as his doctor, "I know what's wrong with you: AIDS. .....HAHAHAHAHA"

Subway/Pamela.

Unbelievable. Masterpiece.

And I think I'm in love with Pamela now.

Did you guys know she was on the old Lucky Louis show also?

It may be the best half-hour of television that I've seen since Arrested Development went off of the air. Unreal.

Any time Louie interacts with bums, it's great.

My buddy told me about Pamela's involvement with Lucky Louie. Once the season ends I'll give that show a shot.

Back
Top Bottom