LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2OXLq.gif

that was a good one

:down:

The first section of Season 3 is the low point of the entire series.

It picked up after that and had a killer finale, but I'd probably still rank it last or second to last.

Yeah, I read that online as well, that most people hated Season 3. I wonder if my love for it is due to the fact that I didn't have to wait a week between episodes.

Also, Desmond FTW. I seriously want to go back and watch all the episodes that he's in. He's one of the most complex characters I've seen in any show.

LOST is the only series that I have an urge to rewatch from start to finish. I will do so at some point.

Mikal, what did you think of the music? I think that the score is, arguably, one of the greatest single things about the series.

I think that the score is, arguably, one of the greatest single things about the series.

Absolutely, and I can't help but wonder if Giacchino will be contributing to the score for the new Star Wars, as he seems to always be the composer for Abrams' work.

LOST is the only series that I have an urge to rewatch from start to finish. I will do so at some point.

Mikal, what did you think of the music? I think that the score is, arguably, one of the greatest single things about the series.

Love the score. Actually, I'm going to try to find a download for it tonight. "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" is my ringtone right now.

Not only the music, but the sound effects still stick with me. Like the build up when returning from a flashback to the island....fantastic!

Yeah, I read that online as well, that most people hated Season 3. I wonder if my love for it is due to the fact that I didn't have to wait a week between episodes.

I think that is nothing more than a 'groupthink' reaction regurgitated by people trying to justify why they quit watching at some point. Personally, I'd rank Season 3 among the best 3 or 4 seasons of the show.

Most people didn't hate Season 3 at all. The last 1/3 of Season 3 is some of the best American broadcast TV ever, including that BRILLIANT season finale.

Basically early Season 3 was when the stalling began. It was during the mid-Season 3 hiatus that they struck the agreement to end the series. At that point, you first heard the name 'Jacob' in the first episode coming back. In other words, that was when they started to begin to wind it down.

All that said, early Season 3 definitely plays better watching on DVD. In real time, it was brutal. I haven't heard that many complaints about the early run of Season 3 (read: stuck in the cages) from people that have caught up with the series after Season 3 aired. But yeah, it is definitely a low point.

Funny enough...the concept of 'let's have them trapped in cages' was JJ's last contribution to LOST and his only contribution beyond the first six episodes.

He also did some BS like that on Fringe. He helped create it, went off and did his own thing, then came back and had them put in those 'super soldiers' in one of the season (was it 2?) premieres.

JJ can direct a popcorn film, no question about it, but as far as creative ideas, he's a little thin. Good thing he's not penning Star Wars VII.

Yeah. I watched it again right after it finished in the summer of 2010.
Such a fucking brilliant show. I am long due for a rewatch.

And the music was SUPERB. Particularly, I love the 'Oceanic 815' theme from 'Exodus'. Especially the montage when they are loading up on the plane and Hurley winks at Walt. Those are the kind of emotional moments that most other series, including great series like Breaking Bad, can never quite capture.

Not that I couldn't fill up a long rant full of complaints about the Idiot Twins.
I didn't love Season Six. I expected a pepperoni pizza and got a cheese pizza. That said, it was a damn good cheese pizza, just wasn't what I wanted.

Anyway, I am loathe to even mention that shit because invariably someone will open their ignorant piehole about the series finale and I'll have to smack them into smithereens. I avoided this thread almost entirely during the final season (and afterward) for that reason. Particularly the Insufferable One.

I've got no problem with criticisms from people that actually know the series and can articulate those issues. There are a lot of them and they are legitimate. Problem is, the most vocal people are clueless. Even to this day people write/joke about them being dead the whole time. I mean...really?

I think that is nothing more than a 'groupthink' reaction regurgitated by people trying to justify why they quit watching at some point. Personally, I'd rank Season 3 among the best 3 or 4 seasons of the show.

Most people didn't hate Season 3 at all. The last 1/3 of Season 3 is some of the best American broadcast TV ever, including that BRILLIANT season finale.

Basically early Season 3 was when the stalling began. It was during the mid-Season 3 hiatus that they struck the agreement to end the series. At that point, you first heard the name 'Jacob' in the first episode coming back. In other words, that was when they started to begin to wind it down.

All that said, early Season 3 definitely plays better watching on DVD. In real time, it was brutal. I haven't heard that many complaints about the early run of Season 3 (read: stuck in the cages) from people that have caught up with the series after Season 3 aired. But yeah, it is definitely a low point.

Funny enough...the concept of 'let's have them trapped in cages' was JJ's last contribution to LOST and his only contribution beyond the first six episodes.

He also did some BS like that on Fringe. He helped create it, went off and did his own thing, then came back and had them put in those 'super soldiers' in one of the season (was it 2?) premieres.

JJ can direct a popcorn film, no question about it, but as far as creative ideas, he's a little thin. Good thing he's not penning Star Wars VII.

Good call. I bet the beginning of Season 3 was definitely brutal when waiting a week between episodes.

I think what I'm going to do now that I've finished the series is go back and watch my favorite episodes. I really loved the episode with young Ben killing the entire Dharma Initiative. Also, the Desmond-centered episodes are fantastic!

This, Deadwood and The Wire are all going to get rewatches from me some day soon....just wanted to give it as much time as possible before breaking them out.

As for Season 3, I enjoyed it greatly, especially the second half. I watched it on DVD and that probably helped. If ever a show cried out to be consumed in batches, it's this one.

Mikal, I think the early part of Season 5 was equally as frustrating for people that didn't understand the time travel. And that I can't hold against people. They were trying to fuck with viewers as much as possible, which is probably why I loved t.

You speak of 'The Man Behind The Curtain'
Love that episode.
Michael Emerson's real life wife playing his dead mother. Meta-Freudian.

I did not know that! Nice!

I'm trying to convince my wife to watch it now just so I can have an excuse to start it all over again. LOL.

Yeah, I can see that about Season 5. I actually found that the early part of Season 6 was frustrating until I figured out what direction they were going with the Flash Sideways. Plus, the episod that tells the story of how Richard came to the island along with episode with Jacob and his brother as children were fantastic...leading up to a fantastic finale. My highlight of Season 6 was when Charlie put his hand against the car window underwater and Desmond remembered the "Not Penny's Boat" flashback. Actually it's interesting that Charlie seems to be the first one to realize what's going on in the Flash sideways.

I've watched Lost in its entirety three times now, including the original airing. It's just so good. It's been about a year since I finished the last time, and I'm already looking forward to starting again. Although there are a lot of other great TV series I enjoy and also rewatch, none of them get to me emotionally like Lost does. I know the music has a hand in that too, it's so gorgeous. Can't beat a full orchestra playing for you every episode.

Was able to check another cast member off my sighting list tonight, and I actually got to talk to this one.

Let's just say Charlotte is just as hot as she was on the show, if not hotter. Really nice too.

I wish I could watch this for the first time again. Nothing like your first time. :wink:

I still maintain that Walkabout is one of the finest hours on television, and that Lost had the best pilot of all time.

I wish I could watch this for the first time again. Nothing like your first time. :wink:

I still maintain that Walkabout is one of the finest hours on television, and that Lost had the best pilot of all time.

I'm currently going back and watching all the Desmond-centric episodes.

Desmond is my favorite character, for sure. I really liked Hurley too. And Locke in the first season. You're making me want to watch all these episodes again!

But, since you brought up Juliet,
can anyone who wants to make the case that everything that happened on the island is supposed to be real explain the following.

when she was banging on the H Bomb trigger device, and we get this huge explosion, 2 feet from her, that does not blow her to kingdom come,
we see her in the same condition as before the blast?

It was "real" in the sense that they were all in a bardo "world" or existence. Working out their past in the afterlife.

The writers borrowed from Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive, which are both set in bardo worlds.

The island was not the afterlife. That's what the alternate timeline was in the 6th season only. When Christian explains to Jack that "it's a place you all created so you could find each other", he wasn't talking about the island, but the Los Angeles in the "flash sideways" segments. One by one they "wake up" and realize where they are, and Jack is the last to understand. The island being some sort of purgatory was shot down long ago.

As for how the bomb exploding didn't destroy Juliet immediately (it would have killed all of them considering how close they were to it), it's kind of a pointless question to ask when the bomb somehow transported them from the 1970s back to their own time. This is something that Faraday had calculated: either the bomb's explosion would interact with the electromagnetic anomaly inside the island to cause the time shift they were hoping for, or it would kill all of them. It's the chance they took. It worked.

The island was not the afterlife. That's what the alternate timeline was in the 6th season only. When Christian explains to Jack that "it's a place you all created so you could find each other", he wasn't talking about the island, but the Los Angeles in the "flash sideways" segments. One by one they "wake up" and realize where they are, and Jack is the last to understand. The island being some sort of purgatory was shot down long ago.

As for how the bomb exploding didn't destroy Juliet immediately (it would have killed all of them considering how close they were to it), it's kind of a pointless question to ask when the bomb somehow transported them from the 1970s back to their own time. This is something that Faraday had calculated: either the bomb's explosion would interact with the electromagnetic anomaly inside the island to cause the time shift they were hoping for, or it would kill all of them. It's the chance they took. It worked.

Yeah, that's the standard interpretation and that works well enough. I don't go out of my way to come up with an exotic interpretation for anything I think is straightforward. For example, I'm fine with tech supports explanation at the end of Vanilla Sky, and pretty much ok with Lenny's reveal at the end of Memento. But other things require some heavy lifting.

So ask yourself, if a guy is reading a comic that features a polar bear. Then his plane crashes. Then he sees a polar bear in a tropical jungle. What could that possibly imply?

Some will argue for the dying dream theory. That works as well I suppose. But aside from Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge I don't typically find that explanation appealing most of the time.

Bardo Thodol is something I became acquainted with when pondering Mulholland Drive. I later came to see it in Twin Peaks, and most definitely in LOST. In fact, I'd argue that LOST begs for that interpretation.

But some writers love to leave things open for interpretation. Like Lynch and Nolan. So the rest of us get to squabble and argue for our favorite interpretations endlessly. That's fun too.

Well this has been quite the thread bump.

There are only two series that every so often I feel compelled to rewatch: The Sopranos and Lost.

I'm curious about The Crossing. It's interesting that the promos bill it as coming "from the network that brought you Lost".

Wow, people are talking about Lost! :hyper:

I haven’t watched this show since... I don’t remember. But it was great! I remember going to school the next day and everyone was like, “Did you watch Lost last night?” I was thinking about rewatching it on Netflix, but was overwhelmed by the thought of 120 episodes, and then Netflix got rid of it.

And now for something completely different . . .

Or certainly from out of nowhere since this thread isn't a thing anymore (let alone the show itself).

But I happened across this link which more-or-less echos my thoughts on the whole LOST phenomena.

The creators and writers for LOST were Twin Peaks/Mulholland Drive fans and picked up on what Lynch was doing back in the day no doubt.

Fun stuff.

https://jezebel.com/5546559/lost-finale-recap-case-closed

Back
Top Bottom