LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is interesting. Apparently during the end credits Sunday night, some stations ran a split screen showing an image of the original 815 crash site. Some people are using this as evidence that either 1) the Ajira plane didn't make it off the island with Kate, Claire, et al, or 2) since the crash site showed no people, the entire episode meant that they all died on the original 815 flight. Now an LA Times blog has confirmed that this was simply stock footage of the 815 crash site that was inserted by ABC, and not part of the episode.

'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

6a00d8341c630a53ef013481c6e9fb970c-600wi

You know those Oceanic 815 plane crash images that ran after Jack's (Matthew Fox) eye closed and the "Lost" logo appeared on our TV screens? Some "Lost" fans and TV critics have wondered if they were a last Easter egg from the producers, a clue meant to lead us to conclude that no one survived Oceanic 815's crash landing — and therefore everything we've seen over the last six years never really happened.

Well, ABC wants to clear the air: Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday.

That means, Losties, that we were not supposed to think that Christian Shepherd (John Terry) is a liar. What Christian told his son, when they were reunited at the church, should serve as guidance for our interpretation of the series' ending.

So let's review: Christian told Jack that he was dead and everyone else in the church was too — some had died before Jack, as we already knew, and some died long after. The sideways flashes then were a step in everyone's after-lives, a way to reconnect before moving on permanently. While there still may be unanswered questions related to that religious and spiritual conclusion to the "Lost" story, the photographs were really just a nostalgic, transitional touch added by ABC executives — and not executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

Love or hate it, that's the final answer.

— Maria Elena Fernandez

This is interesting. Apparently during the end credits Sunday night, some stations ran a split screen showing an image of the original 815 crash site. Some people are using this as evidence that either 1) the Ajira plane didn't make it off the island with Kate, Claire, et al, or 2) since the crash site showed no people, the entire episode meant that they all died on the original 815 flight. Now an LA Times blog has confirmed that this was simply stock footage of the 815 crash site that was inserted by ABC, and not part of the episode.

'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

I thought it was nice--kind of a confirmation that "they're gone now," or "they're not LOST anymore."

I think I just realized that Desmond's real purpose, this season, was to get the viewer to let go and realize that nothing mattered. "It's just a show, brotha. Don't bother looking for sense and resolution where there's none to be found. Let go. Let. Go. Brotha."

And then the last episode was him hitting us with his car.

I thought it was nice--kind of a confirmation that "they're gone now," or "they're not LOST anymore."

Yeah, I really liked it and the fact that it added to the speculation, leaving us with even more questions. That's exactly why we loved this show in the first place -- it kept us guessing (well, not gvox, apparently.) Plus, it was just so excellently creepy. As silly as this may sound, I wish I didn't know that it wasn't meant as part of the finale. I guess that means it won't be at the end of the dvd, either. Bummer.

I think I just realized that Desmond's real purpose, this season, was to get the viewer to let go and realize that nothing mattered. "It's just a show, brotha. Don't bother looking for sense and resolution where there's none to be found. Let go. Let. Go. Brotha."

And then the last episode was him hitting us with his car.

It took you two days to come up with that?

Move along, nothing to see here...

I think deep is your constant. Hope you guys are able to find each other in your flash-sideways one day.

I watched the finale. It didn't suck. I'm happy.

/most I've said about Lost in a year and a half

Probably also worth reminding yourself that like a month or two ago I said that Lost was the pinnacle of American television, based on what I've seen. And I'll remind you, myself, that I still agree with that. Might help you to chill out, although I have enjoyed your overreactions. They speak volumes about how insecure you are (for no reason) in your enjoyment of the show. (Not talking to you, Lance. I didn't know you watched Lost...?)

It took you two days to come up with that?

Move along, nothing to see here...

I think deep is your constant. Hope you guys are able to find each other in your flash-sideways one day.

Laz,

I think you would have noticed by now, I don't play sides or teams.

Is there something I have posted recently that you would like to have a discussion about?

Probably also worth reminding yourself that like a month or two ago I said that Lost was the pinnacle of American television, based on what I've seen. And I'll remind you, myself, that I still agree with that. Might help you to chill out, although I have enjoyed your overreactions. They speak volumes about how insecure you are (for no reason) in your enjoyment of the show. (Not talking to you, Lance. I didn't know you watched Lost...?)

"...pinnacle of American television..." - You're kidding right? Half decent show with some brilliant moments and more filler than any show in history maybe. For "pinnacle" I suggest you try The Shield, The Wire, The Larry Sanders Show and Rod Serling's Twilight Zone. Oh, and probably the first couple of seasons of All In The Family as well as the first couple of seasons of Homicide:Life On The Street.

"...pinnacle of American television..." - You're kidding right? Half decent show with some brilliant moments and more filler than any show in history maybe. For "pinnacle" I suggest you try The Shield, The Wire, The Larry Sanders Show and Rod Serling's Twilight Zone. Oh, and probably the first couple of seasons of All In The Family as well as the first couple of seasons of Homicide:Life On The Street.
ROFL

caps lock

They must have a different version of American television in Canada, eh?

Probably also worth reminding yourself that like a month or two ago I said that Lost was the pinnacle of American television, based on what I've seen.

At least as hilarious as Laz's ass-backwards bitterness about other people not loving or viewing the show in exactly the same was that he does or his just disappearing, after such in(s)anity is pointed out, is the apparent illiteracy of many posters. Seriously, people should A) Relax, because I don't think that anybody at whom people are so upset is actually upset, him/herself (gvox, i think, was one of several hundred thousand people who initially thought the credits sequence implied that everyone died in 2004???? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM, THAT STUPID PIECE OF SHIT??????); and B) Read. And then re-read, before posting.

I don't care to find my original post, Harry, but apart from the massive and obvious qualifier of "based on what I've seen," I should further clarify--I was talking about dramas, rather than comedies, and was talking about series peaks. Like, I think that Lost, during my favorite run of the show, was better than any other US TV drama run I've ever seen. I really enjoyed most of the first and second seasons (that's my idea of the show's high point, although the season 3 finale is my favorite single episode). maybe half of the third, not much from the fourth (just a few individual episodes which are some of my favorites), respectable chunks of season five, and very, very little of the sixth season.

I'd put it up there with the best American TV has to offer. Certainly no TV show has had the same impact in our household as Lost has, definitely one of the best ever.

However no discussion of "Pinnacle" can be taken seriously without Arrested Development or Seinfeld in there too.

(gvox, i think, was one of several hundred thousand people who initially thought the credits sequence implied that everyone died in 2004???? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM, THAT STUPID PIECE OF SHIT??????);

I actually didn't even watch the credits sequence I had walked away and lit off a fireworks (it's our may long wknd up here). I thought that they had all died in the crash (or at minimum a long time ago in the series), actually. But your points are well taken.

Nothing anyone has written here or elsewhere disproves that idea, either. I feel that people are overinterpreting Christian's deliberately mystical and cryptic answers to Jack's need to know specifics. When Christian said "everyone dies sometime kiddo" does that apply only to the characters of the show or is it more a general statement on the circle of life? It's funny some people actually sound just like Jack: in denial and vainly holding onto a specific rational explanation for everything or trying to figure out "real" "here" and "now" etc.

At any rate opinions of others on Lost boards, U2 boards etc aren't fact and frankly beligerently asserting that the Island was "real" (and inherently, all the crazy apparitions, occurrences etc that happened there) seems more of a stretch than believing that they were dead and their souls were looking for redemption/release. Everything I've thought about this show is solely the result of me watching it and, of late, reading a few interviews with the producers. You know, the interviews where they said it would be open to interpretation and leave many questions unanswered?

Anyways, one of the first things that got me thinking about it all not being reality but in fact some sort of spirit world of lost souls / purgatory / whatever, was good ol' Smoky. That entire concept is mythology/religion based, and there was never going to be a possible rational scientific explanation for that.

What I find hysterical is people who write here and elsewhere "WRONG! 1000000% DEAD WRONG!" (in all caps, no less) to someone's interpretation of the thing. Why? Is it that offensive to these people? Would it somehow sully the memory of the show or the characters if the writers out and out said 'guys - they died in the crash, and the island was limbo/gateway to life/death' - or, at minimum, a significant number of viewers believed it to be so?

Would people care less about the losties if it was their spirits who were experiencing all these things? I don't really believe in that in real life as part of my "faith", but I have to say that I cared about the characters probably as much as the next person, and that was on the basis of my hunch that they were actually dead! When it was revealed in the church that they were and they all came full circle/had the flashes of happy/sad memories etc, I was just as happy/sad for them as I would have been if I had been going on the assumption that they were alive.

In the end, who cares what I or other people think? It's just a show, it's over, and whether or not we all agree on how it ended is not really important. Sortof runs contrary to the intent of the thing, also.. :shrug:

I just realized that Kate and Sawyer had actually been forced to help build that runway that they escaped the island on. Cool. :)

gvox, if they actually died when the plane crashed how do you explain the Oceanic Six?

In your interpretation, did the six actually never go back?

What about Widmore's freighter? Did that blow up due to...?

What about Ben? Who's he been talking to the whole time both on and off the island?

What about Juliet being brought to the island?

Or did none of that exist? At all?

I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely asking, especially since I haven't read any other online theories other than the ones posted here in this thread since the finale.

Also, if the island time wasn't real and they all died in the original 815 crash, they wouldn't have gotten to know each other, and thus, wouldn't have been important to each other, nullifying their need to meet again in the afterlife (and, the entire purpose of the show).

gvox, if they actually died when the plane crashed how do you explain the Oceanic Six?

In your interpretation, did the six actually never go back?

What about Widmore's freighter? Did that blow up due to...?

What about Ben? Who's he been talking to the whole time both on and off the island?

What about Juliet being brought to the island?

Or did none of that exist? At all?

I'm not mocking you, I'm genuinely asking, especially since I haven't read any other online theories other than the ones posted here in this thread since the finale.

Also, if the island time wasn't real and they all died in the original 815 crash, they wouldn't have gotten to know each other, and thus, wouldn't have been important to each other, nullifying their need to meet again in the afterlife (and, the entire purpose of the show).

You guys are missing the main point: A decision was made after watching the first 5 minutes of the show 7 years ago, that everyone was dead. Why are you not following this?

Back
Top Bottom