LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In retrospect, I can't help but think about how flat-out unsettling a lot of this show has been--the purgatory/limbo world is really very creepy and made me think about how pretty much 95% of the cast was dead by the time the show ended

Not really. The main story line of Lost, the show we watched for six seasons really ended with Jack's death. No way were 95% of them dead. Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Walt and Hurley (of our core group), and Ben, Frank, Richard, Miles and Aaron all lived on after Jack. If you mean in the sideways world, well yeah, everybody dies eventually, but they didn't within the main story of LOST.

One thing I hear a lot of people not being able to reconcile is Dharma and that whole part of the story. It's really simple though, our story was about our characters, and Dharma was just another (big) part of these people's lives. Heck some of them were even in Dharma and working members of the Dharma initiative. It's their stories we have been watching, Dharma is part of their stories/lives so I don't know how people are saying Dharma didn't really matter.

One thing I hear a lot of people not being able to reconcile is Dharma and that whole part of the story. It's really simple though, our story was about our characters, and Dharma was just another (big) part of these people's lives. Heck some of them were even in Dharma and working members of the Dharma initiative. It's their stories we have been watching, Dharma is part of their stories/lives so I don't know how people are saying Dharma didn't really matter.

And truthfully, the Dharma part was written before the show was going to end. So, they could have kept it as large part of the plot if the show kept going.

Don't be sad for Hurley...he had Desmond there, too, Brother:wink:

what a great ride, and is has been so interesting to read everyones take on all this....I will miss this show a lot

Not really. The main story line of Lost, the show we watched for six seasons really ended with Jack's death. No way were 95% of them dead. Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Walt and Hurley (of our core group), and Ben, Frank, Richard, Miles and Aaron all lived on after Jack.

There were a lot of people in this series besides the core group. That's my point.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's reactions and thoughts to the finale. While I was watching it I was a bit underwhelmed--I was sure the haters were going to have a field day--too sentimental!, too easy!--but I found that the episode stuck with me. I dreamt about it. Woke up in the morning still mulling it over. And the more I think back on it, the more I find I really appreciate it. Unlike some, I don't think the writers did a poor job--I think they did an amazing job considering the task before them. They had to make tough choices about how and what to tie up and I, at least, am by and large happy with the choices they made.

Those guys had a lot of plates spinning in the air, and yeah some of they weren't able to catch--like Eko and the strange absence of Michael and Walt (were the actors not willing to come back on?) and the implausible rehabilitation of that airplane--but I think they caught the most important ones.

They got their happy ending. Loved it. That had to have been the highest number of slow-motion hugs ever thrown together in one two minute stretch of film. Thought that the scene between Jack and Christian was really close to perfect, and I like the choice of choosing Christian (who I did not even expect to see) to be the one to explain that they've all constructed their own happy ending universe.

As far as the action in the episode, I thought it was very good, and thought that the most memorable image was the Jack and MIB showdown on that rocky cliff in the rain. And then Jack running and doing a Mortal Kombat jump punch on him! Awesome. But if they're gonna have Hurley say "I've got a bad feeling about this" they should have just had Jack say "I have the high ground!" :wink:

Also very much liked Jack's "I'll see you in another life, brother" line to Desmond. That made me smile. Of all the recurring lines of dialogue in the show, that's definitely one of my favorites.

I could say a bunch more, but really just wanted to say how satisfied I am with the ending, and it gives me great pleasure to know that all of these fictional characters that I fell in love with 6 years ago are all together somewhere having drinks and giving each other slow motion-hugs set to moving piano and string arrangements.

:heart:

That's my take on it. I was never that curious about Dharma to be honest. There were a lot of mysteries in Lost, but Dharma really wasn't one, at least after a few seasons. None of the real movers and shakers on the island were with Dharma (or they were for a time only before joining the Others i.e. Ben). Dharma was just there to study the island and try to build a little utopia around it's energies. They got wiped out long before 815 even arrived.

So it was some sort of pan-religion purgatory, I'm guessing.
Darlton Alienate Atheists Worldwide - film at 11.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:giggle:

I'm sorry, VP :hug::hug:

(BTW in general i loved it and got all weepy at all the reunions, and the other stuff that happened)

Understand- because i really don't want you to think I'm insulting you (or other agnostics and atheists here at all) at all. And then give a bit on my take about that "purgatory/limbo" idea.

I grew up as more or less Catholic [a Catholic <Slavic> group that had elements of traditional Slavic Orthodox elements in it]. I eventually rejected that, and eventually American Catholicism, became generally Christian -but hadn't picked a new church, before I first became even more rejective of "organized religion" (THAT questioning started around the time I was 10), and then became more and more agnostic.

I think i might have become almost aetheisitic, then after a few years found myself going towards a more spiritual inclination again. There were just "feelings" that had no typical Western Scientific or Western Religions validation/equivalency etc.

The suddenly--here's a whole sub-set of us who still had some kind of spiritual feelings who suddenly found that the "The Force" elements of Star Wars (and, no, for those who have heard that there are Englanders who do so I do not list my religion as Jedi :wink:) "spoke" to us. Some of that feeling and theories were echoed in some New Age/ Aquarian Conspiracy (a book in the 1980's explaining/exploring theories/experiences etc).

And THAT eventually lead me into reading about real Quantum Physicists and Astronauts all "Men of Science/(and Engineering " who started to have [without warning/ interes in etc] various parapsychology, and mystical experiences.

They have been trying to bring a more rigorous scientific method and study into these experiences. I also have heard some startling stories from Doctors and EMT workers tha tat least says to me that.... "there's something more than meets the eye"..... than atheism.
But it doesn't look like my original upbringing, that's for sure!

I also had a great World's Religions teacher in College, so I learned a lot early on about other Religious/ Spiritual paths.

Which brings my to my other comment.

Using the words (as far as I can tell) purgatory and limbo are from Christian POV. We go with what we know.

The religions that believe in re-incarnation, some- you go to your next life based on your karmic "accumulation".

Others do believe there is a period where the soul/spirit reviews their life, and decides what is the next soul lesson they want to attempt, pick a life accordingly. Some of that gets really intense,detailed, and some really "far out" as to what the soul is able to pick for their life at the start at least.

So I guess I would call it a more neutral term as some mentioned a holding/meeting place.

In certain spiritual theories/ and also possible the more unorthodox Quantum Scientists this place e has "no time". Which is why any Losties who had made meaningful connections could end up in that church.

Ben, I think, was still too aghast at parts of his life to feel he was perhaps not "worthy" yet to go in there. He needed to review more.PLus as someone mentioned ( if I read right) he was sometimes certainly stood alone against a lot of out Losties.

I do believe the Island and their experiences there were real just from was it Bo Macs comment or NWS.....they wouldn't have had any real long experiences with each other unless they did crash on The Island

I'm still head-scratching some over the Sideways World last night. I had been thinking along Quantum lines that the SW was another alternate reality that was created when The Bomb went off and one of them would eventually collapse into the other.

It maybe possible that this other world existed in the alternate reality where 815 didn't crash, they experienced it in no time, remembered the life they had had on The Island, and afterwards and then as each one died over time sought each other out in this holding/meeting place.
OK I'm confusing my self now! :huh::lol:

I'm still wrestling with this .... and the idea some of you had that they conbstructed the Sideways world after each had died as they sought each other out....

In unorthodox QP ( and this has been in a few ST:Next Gen Episodes as well as in some Literary SF short stories I've read decades ago) our thought do create a individual and collective reality... so this is how they could have done it

Love to taslk about the visuals as well...

just say that Jack seeing the Plane escaping and Vincent returning to be with him as he died..... lovely.

and of course The Music! :heart:

I was sure the haters were going to have a field day--too sentimental!, too easy!--but I found that the episode stuck with me. I dreamt about it. ... Unlike some, I don't think the writers did a poor job--I think they did an amazing job considering the task before them. They had to make tough choices about how and what to tie up and I, at least, am by and large happy with the choices they made.

I'm glad you mentioned that. It occurred to me while watching the clip show how many very, very important things they had to leave out to fit it into two hours. I think they did a very good job tying up what they could, as well.

Those guys had a lot of plates spinning in the air, and yeah some of they weren't able to catch--like Eko and the strange absence of Michael and Walt (were the actors not willing to come back on?) and the implausible rehabilitation of that airplane--but I think they caught the most important ones.

Aren't we to assume that Michael's spirit is still trapped on the island? Didn't Harold say something to that effect on the post-show? And as for Walt, I don't think his now 12 foot tall self would fit on the plane to fly to Hawaii in order to film scenes for the finale. :wink:

ETA -

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

:giggle:

I'm sorry, VP :hug::hug:

Understand- because i really don't want you to think I'm insulting you (or other agnostics and atheists here at all) at all.

Oh, I didn't get that impression at all! :)

Let's also not forget that Sawyer, Faraday, Jin, and Miles were with Dharma in the 70's for THREE YEARS, much longer than their original time spent as castaways. I'm not sure how long Juliet had been with Ben & the Others, but Dharma obviously makes up a big part of her existence there as well.

It's not that Dharma is the most important thing, but it does seem that unlike the other venal interests who have shown up on the island over the years, they really were trying to understand its properties and not necessarily exploit it. That is, until The Incident when they went too far. And I think a lot of people would agree that the whole Dharma mythology was one of the more captivating elements over the course of the series, and it was certainly given more screen time than anything else the writers came up with.

I'm wondering if Sawyer and Kate got together when they made it back to the world.

I'm wondering how the world reacted when Sawyer (a new survivor of flight 815) returned to the world.

Am I the only one that really loved the scene when Kate "woke up" Jack? There was real power to her "I've missed you so much." How long did she live after she got back to the world?

There were a lot of people in this series besides the core group. That's my point.

Ah okay :) :up:

Those guys had a lot of plates spinning in the air, and yeah some of they weren't able to catch--like Eko and the strange absence of Michael and Walt (were the actors not willing to come back on?)

For Eko anyways, E online says that according to ABC, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was offered "a hearty sum" to appear in the finale, but turned it down because he wanted 5x the amount.

As far as the action in the episode, I thought it was very good, and thought that the most memorable image was the Jack and MIB showdown on that rocky cliff in the rain. And then Jack running and doing a Mortal Kombat jump punch on him! Awesome. But if they're gonna have Hurley say "I've got a bad feeling about this" they should have just had Jack say "I have the high ground!" :wink:

:giggle: :up:

Also very much liked Jack's "I'll see you in another life, brother" line to Desmond. That made me smile. Of all the recurring lines of dialogue in the show, that's definitely one of my favorites.

Me too. :) And I guess when Desmond told Jack in the stadium (sort of mysteriously), "you have to lift it up," he wasn't kidding. :wink:

I'm wondering if Sawyer and Kate got together when they made it back to the world.

I'm wondering how the world reacted when Sawyer (a new survivor of flight 815) returned to the world.

Am I the only one that really loved the scene when Kate "woke up" Jack? There was real power to her "I've missed you so much." How long did she live after she got back to the world?

I thought Evangeline Lilly was fantastic in this episode, and showed her post-wake up transformation perhaps better than anyone else in the cast.

I doubt Sawyer and Kate wound up together because then the reunion of Sawyer and Juliet wouldn't have made as much sense.

As for the world's reaction to a new survivor, it would be cool if someone made a fake documentary uncovering the Widmore/Oceanic 6 "conspiracy".

BTW - I thought that Jack's character arc, though more subtle, was absolutely brilliant. I loved his struggle to stay in control only to bend in the end was heart-wrenching. Though my wife would tell you that is because I am an insufferable type-A control freak.

An agnostic is someone who believes that G(g)od(s) exists, but is/are probably unknowable. This series ended by pointing to some higher power/existence, but did not try to give any answers as to which path will get you there (the imagery from multiple religions). I thought it was a very agnostic ending.

I was under the impression that agnostics just don't give a shit or don't believe the truth about these kinds of things can be proven; they're not vague believers. Atheists are just more adamant about there not being any supreme being.

I was under the impression that agnostics just don't give a shit or don't believe the truth about these kinds of things can be proven; they're not vague believers. Atheists are just more adamant about there not being any supreme being.

There are multiple degrees of agnosticism. This would fall under the banner of "agnostic theism"--that is, one doesn't know if a deity exists, but believes that one probably does.

as one that considers myself an agnostic

I believe the subset of Agnostic theism, includes very few of the people that call themselves agnostic

a bit like Messianic Jews are a subset of the Jewish population

An agnostic is someone who believes that G(g)od(s) exists, but is/are probably unknowable. This series ended by pointing to some higher power/existence, but did not try to give any answers as to which path will get you there (the imagery from multiple religions). I thought it was a very agnostic ending.

I lean more toward the agnostic atheism. Not that God is unknowable, but that I've seen or heard no evidence that would lead me to believe that God exists.

Sure it does. Believing that a higher power exists, but not believing that we have the faculty to know or know about it is a perfectly tenable position.

I would guess that is probably close to the stance that many people who say they're "spiritual but not religious" take, and while it is by definition a form of agnosticism, it's not the most commonly used defiinition.

If someone ask my opinion of Astrology

Does when I was born in relationship to heavenly bodies have any effect on my life?

I'd say I seriously doubt it, but is there the remotest possibility?

So I am agnostic on Astrology

that does not mean I believe in it, but we are just unable to comprehend it.

Back
Top Bottom