LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did everyone die in the original plane crash? And those left on the island stuck in some kind of purgatory? Was Jack the last one to finish his time? My brain hurts. :confused:

The sense I got is that the place they ended up, the purgatory/whatever it was, is not constrained by linear time as we know it, and as Christian told him, some died before him, some after. But when it was his time, they were all there to meet him.

Interesting that Ben stayed outside. I guess he had more time to serve.

I liked it better than I thought I would. It was about the characters, and that's what I wanted.

Yes, a little too convenient overall, but at least it had an ending versus becoming Gilligan's Island with the guest stars-of-the-week.

p.s. I WANT TO SEE INCEPTION!!!

Do not try to make this timeline linear, that would be impossible. Instead only try to remember the truth - there is no timeline.

:up: time is relative

i absolutely loved it, but i also "got it" immediately, so there wasn't that whole :angry:-period where i had no idea what happened.

anyone else watching kimmel?

The sense I got is that the place they ended up, the purgatory/whatever it was, is not constrained by linear time as we know it, and as Christian told him, some died before him, some after. But when it was his time, they were all there to meet him.

Interesting that Ben stayed outside. I guess he had more time to serve.

"Time is irrelevant, it's not linear"

In all honesty, this line pretty much sums up how you have to think about the two timelines, realities, or whatever you wanna call them.

alternate endings were lame....i don't know why I thought we were gonna see real stuff

I found it less than satisfying,

but they painted themselves into a corner.

The landmark ABC drama "Lost" ended Sunday night with a 21/2-hour bang of a series finale with the revelation that the survivors of the crash of Oceanic Airways Flight 815 all end up dead.

But don't worry - they're okay with that.

It turns out that the alternate-reality "sideways" world where the plane crash never happened was just a limbo where their dead souls from the world where it did happen could meet up and travel first class to the afterlife together.

they were all always as dead as jack's father?

I guess one can't complaint too much about the writing, since it all just a fantasy that never existed.. That is why Lapidus is found floating a couple of hundred feet off shore days after the sub sank.

It would have been better if it just went off the air at the end of season 5.

Then we could all have just imagined a more satisfying ending in our own minds.

I don't think it was purgatory, but they sure as hell didn't explain what the island was at all. I don't think it was purgatory because Jack clearly died on the island. Christian's comments about some dying before Jack and some long after and Hurley's comments about Ben being a good number 2, seem to indicate that the flash sideways were some sort of purgatory/holding period.

So, what the fuck was the island? And did the Dharma initiative matter at all?

the island and dharma were nothing, they never existed, for that matter Jacob, MIB, Richard never existed.
as far as in the physical world that we were let to believe they represented.

it appears that all the passengers on flight 815 died on impact,
Jack had no son, (in the hospital Locke told Jack he had no son) Jun and Jin had no baby and neither did Claire,
they were all in the church without any offspring

Ben never did a solid for his fake daughter, on helping her get a scholarship.

This might as well have had a St Elsewhere ending.

I swear to all of you by all I hold dearly.......I had a feeling they would close with a "Bobby Ewing" type ending - that it was all a dream....I SWEAR to you.

I'm glad I was right.

By the way - I've never seen the show except for the first episode.
Now that I know how it ends I think I'm ready to start watching from the beginning.

How can anyone say it was all a dream? I thought it was pretty straightforward to me.

My take: the Island timeline existed. The Sideways was more of a purgatory place where they waited for each before moving on. Why? Because as Christian said, they all formed bonds on the Island and needed each other in life as they did in death.

But, again, in vintage LOST fashion, it's ultimately open to interpretation. I loved it, for a myriad of reasons.

So I still have a lot to digest here, but one thing I came away with, is we just watched Jack's death pretty much in real time tonight, and (as Christian said) everyone else died too obviously, but at other times (some in the far future most likely after living out their lives), but we weren't watching that happen for them, only Jack. Okay so lots more to think about (which is exactly what I liked about Lost :) )

Yeah, I mean, I had the same takeaway....

The 6 seasons worth of Island activity did indeed happen. Jack dies on the Island, but Rose, Hurley, Ben, etc, live on....for who knows how much longer.

When they die, whenever that is, they find themselves in the flash sideways world...as was made clear by Christian, that world is not at all linear, and was (somehow) a construct made by the 815 survivors as a means to gather together and advance onwards (to where, no idea) together, since they mean(t) so much to one another.

Not only is that my take on it, but it seemed fairly clear, as well. But, of course, I could be very wrong. I just don't think I am, is all. :)

Deep, I'll miss your weekly stumping for people to be as negative towards the show as you are. One can only admire your tenacity, persistence and repetitiveness. Perhaps you and Shouter can be #'s 1 and 2 on some sort of misanthropic island where you get to claim to like things then go on to laugh at it/rip it to shreds.

the island and dharma were nothing, they never existed, for that matter Jacob, MIB, Richard never existed.
as far as in the physical world that we were let to believe they represented.

it appears that all the passengers on flight 815 died on impact,
Jack had no son, (in the hospital Locke told Jack he had no son) Jun and Jin had no baby and neither did Claire,
they were all in the church without any offspring

Ben never did a solid for his fake daughter, on helping her get a scholarship.

This might as well have had a St Elsewhere ending.

Do you have comprehension problems? The island very much existed. Which is why, after Jack dies at the end, we still see the 815 wreckage over the credits. The island is still there for the people who stayed behind (Hurley, Ben, Desmond), and the people who left on the Ajira flight got to go back home.

As has already been said, you're correct in that the FlashSideways world is what wasn't "real", it was a fantasy place they all met up after all had died, and isn't relative to the regular universe in any kind of time frame.

Remembering this just made me smile: Juliet's "it worked" was referring to the sideways vending machine, and not the bomb. I liked that. :)

I think I'm warming to it already.

I felt like the line worked both ways. The bomb "worked" in that it returned them to their normal time period, and got them out of the 70's. And it also appears that Juliet got a glimpse of "purgatory world" (the flash-sideways), knowing she would see Sawyer again when he eventually died.

Did the explosion combined with the island's properties allow the purgatory world to be created?

Jack didn't die tonight.

The writer for the L A Times saw it the same way I did

they all died at the initial flight 815 plane crash

Of love 'Lost'
A riveting series' finale fails to top the six seasons that preceded it. But then, it was always about the journey.

By Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times Television Critic

May 24, 2010

Well, it could have been worse. It could have all been a dream.

Actually, that might have been better, if the finale of "Lost" had ended with some alien life form or surprising human — Ray Bradbury, say, or Terry O'Quinn in a pre-audition nap — opening his eyes from the craziest dream ever.

Instead, it turns out the passengers of Oceanic 815 are all dead, victims, if the end-credit imagery is to believed, of the same tragic plane accident that started the whole thing. Six seasons of polar bears, bachelor pad hatches, landlocked ships, personal submarines and a fleet of fallen airplanes, and it was all apparently some sort of shared afterlife experience. Excuse me, but what are we supposed to do with those religious statues full of heroin, with Fionnula Flanagan's pendulums, with the crazy Frenchwoman and the time shifts and the whole glorious Richard Alpert back story? And what on Earth are we supposed to do with the Dharma Initiative?

Release them into the universe, apparently, along with the image of Allison Janney in bad biblical hair. Because as Desmond (Henry Ian Cusick) kept telling Jack and anyone who would listen, really, none of it matters, except that it's over, and even if Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse decided, and possibly at the last minute, that their uber-narrative would be an over-the-top marriage of "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge" and "It's a Wonderful Life," at least it's over, and that's something.

'Lost' concludes - latimes.com

Deep, I'll miss your weekly stumping for people to be as negative towards the show as you are. One can only admire your tenacity, persistence and repetitiveness. Perhaps you and Shouter can be #'s 1 and 2 on some sort of misanthropic island where you get to claim to like things then go on to laugh at it/rip it to shreds.

WIN.

And it looks like we're in agreement as to what happened; you posted right before me.

Also, someone writing for the L.A. Times can be just as obtuse as you are. I love how the wreckage is supposed to imply they all died in the crash--nope, it's the wreckage that HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE THE LAST SIX SEASONS.

If they had died on impact, they wouldn't have known each other, and would have no reason to meet in any alternate reality/purgatory/whatever.

Now I have to debase myself by watching Jimmy fucking Kimmel.

By the way, I teared up at least 3 times during the show, probably more. I guess I didn't realize just how invested in the show I was until faced with it coming to an end. I'll never forget watching Seasons 1-2 on DVD with 2 coworkers...we burned through 2 seasons in under a week, it was amazing and we were all texting each other tonight.

Like a lot of you, bittersweet night in that I'm pleased to see it come to and end while saddened at the same time.

I'm such a sucker for redemption stories, as well as stories where lost loves reunite, and so you can see how Lost got to me myriad times tonight.

I'll miss it.....:wave:

WIN.

And it looks like we're in agreement as to what happened; you posted right before me.

Also, someone writing for the L.A. Times can be just as obtuse as you are. I love how the wreckage is supposed to imply they all died in the crash--nope, it's the wreckage that HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE THE LAST SIX SEASONS.

If they had died on impact, they wouldn't have known each other, and would have no reason to meet in any alternate reality/purgatory/whatever.

Yeah, I mean, as we are all mostly saying, we could be reading this wrong.....if there even is a right or wrong, that is.....but that was my immediate and strongly felt take on things.

Back
Top Bottom