LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the only thing I find disappointing was the MIB being able to conceptualize the Donkey Wheel; no matter how special he is, I don't think he or even Daniel MFing Faraday/Widmore could have arrived at that idea in 43 A.D. .

we haven't seen faraday since desmond ran into him while looking for penny in the alt-universe.

it would be nice if he showed up tuesday or did something special on the 23rd

It's hysterical how here and on the Lost forums all of a sudden people turn into amateur historians and pick away at things that aren't believable. But hey, you've had a friggin' SMOKE MONSTER since season 1 !!

Still, the primary goal of any TV show is to get viewers, and as long as people who think the show has become "crap" are still watching, then they've achieved their #1 goal.

I got a wee bit disgruntled with the show in early season 3, but since then it's been great, "Across the sea" was even better when rewatched.

I didn't know they showed next week's episode last night, definitely staying away from Lostpedia.

Who are all these people you're talking about? Are you in some whiner support group?

I thought they were speaking as objectively as possible and giving examples about other shows they enjoyed, and while they acknowledged their responsibility to the fans, they wanted to make it clear they were doing this on their own terms.

You're so obsessed with making them your antagonists that everything you experience with the show is through that biased filter. It's sad, really.

This is one of the funniest, most confused posts I have ever read. Thank you. Genuine lolz and lulz both.

Haven't yet caught up on the rest of the thread, so I'm curious to see where it all goes. It's called "Google," though, so you know. I like you a lot, Laz, and it's just been hilarious to see how (seemingly) aghast you are that I'm not fully on board with your minority opinion. Again, I really, really, really hope for the best. They sounded like douches, they confirmed that they have been making it up as they go to SOME extent, and it's all good. You need to get over yourself, because I'm no better than you for being disappointed and you're no better than me for being pleased. I'm just disappointed and you're just pleased. Relatively and so far.

Oh, and this does kind of bother me. Only because of the wild, obviously made-up insistence that they had it all planned out, from the get-go (as if saying, in between the first seasons, "There will never, like, be any time travel in Lost," but whatever):

Why do the 140ish-year-old jabronis in The Black Rock have no flesh and no remaining clothing, whereas Adam/Eve are all good on both fronts after 2500 years, if it was always known what the deal was? Again, whatever. It's fine. I'll live. Mistakes happen. But, seriously. Come on. That's not a minor mistake, given their insistence. It just strikes me, personally, as kind of sad that they keep trying to beat people over the head with, "See??? We told you so!!!" when they're disproving themselves at every step of the way. If they hadn't so dutifully insisted on their all-knowingness, I personally would never have expected, you know, them to be all-knowing.

I mean, of course they had some shit planned out at the beginning. Like the black/white motif (amazing!) and clearly the island as a source of tremendous power, energy, uh, light, or whatever you want to call it. Bravo.

Anyway, I never thought I would be saying this a few weeks ago, but I'm looking forward to getting back to the main storyline, next week, and away from the clutching for straws non-answers episodes that really did feel like an obligation rather than a labor of love. I loved "The Candidate," and hope that they can build on that momentum.

P.S. Yes, I realize that them boars was all up in The Black Rock. But if that's why they're picked clean, then clearly that's why A and E should be, too. And this isn't an actual complaint, but I can't be the only one who wonders what happened to all the, like, bunny rabbits and water snakes that wound up in the cave of light, right? I mean, seriously. Come on! :wink:

couldn't keep myself from reading the spoilers for next week

:ohmy:

something that bothers me...if smokey has inhabited MIB body after he is dead, then how is it that his skelton is still laying there next to his "mother"? that is the kind of shit that annoys me :|

something that bothers me...if smokey has inhabited MIB body after he is dead, then how is it that his skelton is still laying there next to his "mother"? that is the kind of shit that annoys me :|

But the fact that a smoke monster exists and makes elephant noises you can suspend disbelief for ?

:wave:

Something else I take issue with (not directed at you, Daddysgonnapay, your post just reminded me of it)...when people pull out old quotes of Darlton saying "the show is not going to involve X." Mostly it's time travel, but I've even seen an old quote pulled this week on another site where they said the series won't involve any sort of twin relationship.

How are they supposed to answer questions like that?? "Yes, the series is going to get heavily into time travel in season whatever?" They can't give away major plot points like that (sometimes seasons in advance), and to use those examples to point and said "Ha, ha! They don't know wtf they're doing, they never had a plan!" is simply ridiculous.

well. I have not ever thought they are making it up as they go along...I just haven't disected it that thoroughly...I just have a hard time with time travel in general. :D ...
someone posted awhile back about the basis with viewers disappointment is the viewer has an idea of how the show should go and when it doesn't unfold that way it pisses them off....I probably fall more into that category...I have enjoyed this show immensly and have enjoyed all the twists and turns and tried to go along for the ride for the most part. I also believe the writers are rushing to try to tie up all the loose ends and therefore the original story is being "Lost"...just my 2 cents...I still love the show and will certainly miss it when it is over

well. I have not ever thought they are making it up as they go along...I just haven't disected it that thoroughly...I just have a hard time with time travel in general. :D ...
someone posted awhile back about the basis with viewers disappointment is the viewer has an idea of how the show should go and when it doesn't unfold that way it pisses them off....I probably fall more into that category...I have enjoyed this show immensly and have enjoyed all the twists and turns and tried to go along for the ride for the most part. I also believe the writers are rushing to try to tie up all the loose ends and therefore the original story is being "Lost"...just my 2 cents...I still love the show and will certainly miss it when it is over

Ha, that was me.

I keep reading the argument that they're rushing things because the end is near, but I don't agree with that, either. They've known the end date since the end of season 3. It's not like they were sitting in the writers room in January or February and suddenly said "holy shit guys! I don't know where the time went, but we need to wrap this sucker up!" And then they started cramming things they'd previously forgotten in. Seriously. Consider that - do you think that's a likely scenario?

We're seeing the story unfold as they envisioned it, at the pace they thought best, and as they decided to tell it, period. If someone doesn't like the story they're telling, fine, I don't have a problem with that at all. If you don't like it because it feels rushed to you? That's fine too. But to say that the writers rushed it? No they didn't.

I should quit talking about Lost. I'm a little touchy this week because a major part of the enjoyment of the show for me is reading online, and people out there are just being poopy-heads about it, thus ruining my enjoyment. ;)

yes...enjoy the ride the last few shows will offer and don't let the poopy-heads get to you!:wink: and remember you can always enjoy Ben with a pancake on his head! :lol:

I'm not embittered

Sean, I think you are a pretty intelligent guy
please explain why Jin, Jun and her father speak a different language than English

and why Richard and his wife do

but the people in the 40 AD era, mother, Jacob, brother, and birth mother speak contemporary English?

Any time you get too far in the past, the whole issue of accents and languages becomes moot. It's like those Biblical films where Jesus and his disciples all speak with British accents (By the way, you all know that "Desmond" played Jesus in a film of the gospel of John a few years back?). Why British? It's not like Arabic would be any more "accurate." We're talking about dead languages here. I suppose the argument would be that they had them speak English because the alternative was to have them speak in this dead language through the entire episode and subtitle it all. And even Lost wasn't willing to go that far. I even felt like I noticed the moment where they "switched" to English and we were supposed to believe they were still speaking the old language. It was clumsy. But in terms of being unrealistic, the final words between Jin and Sun were far worse. That did bother me. I really felt they should have spoken in Korean.

I guess it just doesn't eat at me the way it does some. Maybe it's because I'm not as emotionally invested in the show as many of the true fans are. I don't know.

I just feel like, yeah, there are some clumsy moments.

But it could be worse.

It could be Flashforward.

totez.jpg

I'll take Richard as the example, although it's been covered here before.

Richard has been one of the most interesting yet laconic characters since he was introduced (Season 2? 3?). The episode this season where he reacts to the situation with Jacob and such, he completely broke character.

And this illustrates my problem with the show this season. I'm no longer that interested in answers. I've known many of those won't be coming since Season 2. But, it has been the complexity of the characters and their relationships with each other that has been the most interesting thing to watch, as well as their reactions to the changing circumstances on the island, etc.

So, if in the interest of ending the show, Lindelof/Cuse are having characters break with their nature, that's disappointing. I know it comes from being short on time, but I think they painted themselves into a corner somewhat by setting the endpoint too early. The characters they have created and nurtured for years deserve the time to react based on their nature.

That's my 2 cents. I have been invested in the show since I watched the entire 1st Season on DVD just prior to the start of the 2nd Season. I've put in the time, so I think I'm allowed to be a little disappointed and call "whiny bitch" occasionally.

read your post last night (print-out).

What you say makes definite sense. :yes:

Especially since you've been watching it in a really sequential matter VS
me who's been experiencing this show more like a crazy quilt!! :lol:
Or time-skipping mode ! :wink:

ANd maybe b/c I spent a bunch of years reading SF Media Fan Fic where writers sometimes would break the characters out of their nature that the original author created-- often with some of those authors saying they could "see" areas (small scenes, asides,etc) where such character had then "the potential" to be broken out of originally written personality.
This often then led to flame wars: originally in Letter-zines/ pre-web/ ?almost pre-user-net, too! :lol:

So I guess It's not always the strongest point with me now, having been exposed to this fan-fiction free for all since the early 80's.

But it's probably something i should re-empathize in my own reading/viewing. Of course being there near from the begining or getting the DVD's in between seasons WOULD have helped!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :wave:

:uhoh::uhoh::lol::lol::uhoh::uhoh:

I ALMOST succumbed to the "Spoiler-side" of The Force last night!

I hadn't passed anywhere to pick up the EW this week, till I deliberately went looking last night. Luckily the first Bookstore I went to-- someone had shoved the last copy of it- the Multi-covers Cover in between 2 other different magazines, while the New EW Issue (Sex && The City 2) was packed up in the front of the rack.

AFter I had read the 1- 5 recaps ( funny :lol:), I stayed away from the next pages of S.6 . Fine... so far.......

But about an hour later, i looked at it on my sofa, and almost went to pick it up, and open to the The Final Shooting Article having the urge for a few mins.
But I didn't !
..."step AWAY from the magazine"....! :smiliewithbullhorn::lol:

I think I'll shove it into the bottom of my SF magazines, articles. stuff, etc designated Desk Drawer till after it's alllllllll over! :sad::lol::D

Something else I take issue with (not directed at you, Daddysgonnapay, your post just reminded me of it)...when people pull out old quotes of Darlton saying "the show is not going to involve X." Mostly it's time travel, but I've even seen an old quote pulled this week on another site where they said the series won't involve any sort of twin relationship.

How are they supposed to answer questions like that??

I know what you mean, because they're kind of in a lose-lose situation, with super specific questions. So you know, though, the quotes to which I myself was referring were Cuse/Lindelof-inspired. Nobody was asking about time travel, in between the first two seasons; or, anyway, nobody was in the interview(s) to which I'm referring.

They were speaking more broadly about how they had created Lost as and to function as a "science-fact," rather than science-fiction, show. One of the examples which they, on their own, provided to prove this was that line about how they're never going to do something as retarded as time travel. I'm not even complaining about the time travel, mind you. Sure, it make absolutely no sense in the science-fact context of the show, but neither does a smoke monster, and I've never been (too) up in arms about that.

When they haven't wanted to give something away, they have not traditionally lied. Instead, they have just said, "No comment." Which is totally fine, as far as I'm concerned. But it's their willingness simply to say, "No comment," or whatever, that informs my relative frustration with things like those time travel quotes. What I'm willing to buy is that they knew the basic outline of the show--good vs. evil with lots of in-between, and that the island was a source of great energy, etc.--which is hardly anything to praise (if they didn't, then why the hell would they be making the show?) but had literally zero clue as to how the gaps would be filled. Again, that's fine. My frustration comes not from the nonexistent audacity not to have an entire series, which was initially created with no end date anywhere remotely in sight, planned to down to the last second (that's crazy/impossible)...it's their insistence that they really did have it all planned out, from the get-go. Not down to the last precise detail, of course. But if they want me to believe that like 1/3 of the way into the first season, the dudes in the writers room knew that those skeletons were the then-unseen and -unknown smoke monster's millennia old, non-decomposed corpse and that of his murderous, adoptive mother who wasn't going to be introduced in any way, shape, or form until practically the final episode of the entire series, then they are out of their minds. I may love this show, but I'm not an idiot.

Here, though, is a non-infuriating interview (ie, one in which they don't endlessly compare themselves to David Chase, are honest rather than defensive and dishonest about the creative process, are not repeatedly and preemptively apologetic for the show/finale they "have the right to make however [they] want to make it, you fuckers," and so on):

Television - The Men Who Made ABC�s �Lost� Last - Question - NYTimes.com

Zero spoilers, so no worries. Sure, I'm kind of bothered that they are still inexplicably convinced that people watched the show for the Jack/Kate/Sawyer dynamic (Have these guys never noticed that practically all we fans ever talked about or debated were the mysteries, or that they themselves, by putting them into the show and talking about them so often, have centered that aspect of the show? I honestly can't remember having any conversations about how fucking incredibly deep Claire was, as a character...), but whatever. They've been delusional about that for a good, long while, and I think we're all used to that. The interview's tone is welcome, at this point in the game.

got a little dusty in my apartment while watching that promo :reject:

Back
Top Bottom