LOST: The Final Season -Part 2- It only ends once - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #466
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:04 AM
I loved the show tonight. A few of my random thoughts afterward:

Locke's ending was so bittersweet His story arc and then his death had been so sad and tragic, but at least the friendships he made on the island were strong enough to bring him together with them at the end.

Ben not joining them was interesting and a little sad too. Many of the characters who weren't there, just were not there at all. But Ben was there. He just decided not to join them. It mirrored the scene recently on the island when many of them were reuniting, and he was standing on the outside looking in it seemed to a group he really wasn't a part of. I think him being at the departure point in sideways world showed that he came close, but not close enough maybe. He said his goodbyes to Hurley, and made his peace with Locke at least.

I have to say, it definitely took me by surprise that the only characters to die in the final episode were MIB and Jack. I had actually expected it to be more. It made it even more sad for me that it was only Jack I think. At least he didn't die alone. *Vincent *

And finally (for now), did any one else see The Langoliers written all over that scene of the jet taking off the island?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #467
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Yeah, I mean, I had the same takeaway....

The 6 seasons worth of Island activity did indeed happen. Jack dies on the Island, but Rose, Hurley, Ben, etc, live on....for who knows how much longer.

When they die, whenever that is, they find themselves in the flash sideways world...as was made clear by Christian, that world is not at all linear, and was (somehow) a construct made by the 815 survivors as a means to gather together and advance onwards (to where, no idea) together, since they mean(t) so much to one another.

Not only is that my take on it, but it seemed fairly clear, as well. But, of course, I could be very wrong. I just don't think I am, is all.

Deep, I'll miss your weekly stumping for people to be as negative towards the show as you are. One can only admire your tenacity, persistence and repetitiveness. Perhaps you and Shouter can be #'s 1 and 2 on some sort of misanthropic island where you get to claim to like things then go on to laugh at it/rip it to shreds.
Not only does this sum up my interpretation of the ending, but its snarky ending was more subtle and deadly than I would have concocted.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #468
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Well.

All the reunions/revelations in the sideways world were well acted and poignant.
The explanation of sideways world as limbo or whatever is acceptable.
Regardless of who died when, I think Jack is the last to arrive, because he is the last to "let go". (Some other minor characters such as Ana Lucia still haven't, but they probably don't want her there anyway, she was always angry )
Clearly deep's and the LA Times' interpretation that they were all dead on impact makes no sense because why would Ben be there at the end since he wasn't on the flight. And Penny was not part of island life or flight 815 at all.

So I am satisfied with that aspect of the story, but still left feeling somewhat empty as far as so many things along the way never being explained in the least...Walt, no children brought to term, what is the light exactly etc.

Oh and Kate looked hot in the black cocktail dress, dead or alive.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #469
Blue Crack Addict

As someone who hasn't been too impressed with much of the show lately, sans a few specific episodes, I thought the finale was well done. Not very surprising, and several things still unanswered (as we knew going in that it would be), but overall, I'm satisfied.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #470
New Yorker

I was trying to notice if when smoke-lock fell and landed on the cliff, did they position him like when he fell out of the building...very minor...but I was trying to notice...and how did Jack get out of the cave...another minor thing, but I questioned it...I had no problem understanding how it played our...Jack smiling as he died knowing as the plane flew over is friends had made it off the island...did we see Richard in the church at the end? I cannot recall
Vincent coming to jack at the end made me

and did anyone notice a few times on Kimmel the young Jacob boy peering through the fake bushes? it was hilarious
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
I enjoyed it. I'm not going to try to make sense of everything, but I think NSW summed it up nicely .
Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

I cried like crazy-especially at the dog part but I know the exact reasons for that. Maybe if I figure out exactly why I cried for other reasons I will have figured out this entire show..but I don't think so.

But can anyone please explain the reason (s) for the Dharma Initiative. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #473
Refugee

Local Time: 09:04 AM
I felt like I watched the end of Titantic...the only thing missing was everyone applauding when Jack walked in.

I thought the episode overall was ok but there were so many loose ends. The reunions were sweet but it negated the last season for me.
Sideways bizarro world purgatory did upset me. I don't know. I guess dogs, scientists and the French don't make it into heaven

I'm not angry but it didn't leave me completely satisfied.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

I knew that so many loose ends would exist-they really said so in different words in every comment they made about the final episode. There were so many loose ends in Lost that you'd probably need a month's worth of final episodes to tie them. Or more.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, I had the same takeaway....

The 6 seasons worth of Island activity did indeed happen. Jack dies on the Island, but Rose, Hurley, Ben, etc, live on....for who knows how much longer.

When they die, whenever that is, they find themselves in the flash sideways world...as was made clear by Christian, that world is not at all linear, and was (somehow) a construct made by the 815 survivors as a means to gather together and advance onwards (to where, no idea) together, since they mean(t) so much to one another.

I had so many questions coming into the season, and by the last 20 minutes I just didn't care about the answers to those questions. "We thought we had the answers, but it was the questions we had wrong bla bla bla."

But then again I'm not one to get all hung up on HOW DOES IT WORK! sort of things when it comes to magical realism. I recently watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time. I checked the imdb message board and of course there was a topic on "But they never explained how they fly!"
I'm sorry, do you think the writers are just purposely not telling you how they fly because they want to keep the secret to themselves? They just fly. It's not a documentary, it's a fictional story. Get over it.

I read this Gawker review earlier today which had me shaking my head:
Quote:
I have taken a creative writing class or two (can you tell?) and do you know this thing they teach you? "Don't end your story with all your characters being dead." It is like cheating. It is worse than cheating! It is the wussiest thing a writer can do. And these smug dickheads went ahead and did it.
We were told a similar thing in our creative writing class when one of my classmates wrote a story about a recital in which the narrator is revealed to be ghost near the end. It wasn't a shocking sort of ending. It was believable and well written and our professor just shit all over her story saying that it's impossible for a dead person to tell a story. Uh, since when are we not allowed to be creative in a creative writing class? Oh course ghosts can tell stories and interact with the living! It's her fucking story and in her world that is not limited to our rules, it can happen. Can a polar bear live on a tropical island? Yes. Can an island sink and reappear at the turn of a donkey wheel? Yes. Can an afterlife exist in which you meet everyone that was important to you and you all walk off into the light for your next great adventure? Fucking yes.

Also, they weren't all "dead at the end" because the end of the island (i.e. - the show) and everything that happened with it happened when Jack closed his eyes forever. No one else died at that time. You could have ended episode 10 with that and just followed up the last episodes with all the flash sideways, culminating everyone in a church and the story would still be the same, and linear (which is what most of the people I've seen - not here - are complaining about, I think). Regardless, at "the end" we are all dead anyway.

Oops, I should have put a spoiler alert for that one.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #476
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Somewhere Tony Soprano is sitting at a table thinking, "What the fuck just happened with LOST?"
That made me laugh. I will say that had they thrown on some Journey for the end credits, I would have liked the finale much more.

Quote:
If I had to choose one LOST spin-off, it would be Sayid and Ben roaming the globe, killing people. Bad people, sure, but, still.
I would like that. But I'd have to throw Desmond in there so he could show up at each execution and try to convince Sayid to not do it. And then go buck fucking wild on Sayid after he goes through with it anyway. Shit, I was hoping Desmond was going to come in during the vending machine scene and go buck fucking wild on them for unplugging the machine. I guess I just like watch Desmond go buck fucking wild. Probably the accent.

All in all, kinda what I expected. I was disappointed in the story insofar as most of what happened over the past 6 seasons amounted to nothing. Shit, last week's episode amounted to nothing - Whidmore who? Also, needed more Libby. But there were some touching scenes and I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Why no Walt and Michael? That's some bullshit right there.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
I felt like I watched the end of Titantic
I felt like I watched the end of The Sixth Sense. Jack's death was similar to that of Bruce Willis' character, with the whole "I see dead people" vibe going on.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #478
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
All in all, kinda what I expected. I was disappointed in the story insofar as most of what happened over the past 6 seasons amounted to nothing. Shit, last week's episode amounted to nothing - Whidmore who? Also, needed more Libby. But there were some touching scenes and I'm a sucker for a happy ending.

Why no Walt and Michael? That's some bullshit right there.
But it didn't amount to nothing. If you think about the series as being Jack's story of the island, then everything he did, from the moment he opened his eyes till the moment he closed them, it's completely worthwhile. Jack was always meant to do this, to pop the cork back on. Toss out the 65% of the fluff episodes and you'll have a nice arc that flows evenly. The afterlife is even all about Jack, getting him to remember and to let go of everything.

RE: Walt and Michael
YouTube - Nestor Carbonell, Jeremy Davies, Alan Dales & Harold Perrineau on the JKL Aloha to LOST Special
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #479
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:04 AM
Amounted to nothing?

Regardless if you think they died on impact or island life was real, in the theory of the purgatory story was that the time they spent there was in order to make ammends or come to terms with who they were, so that they can finally "let go".

I think Ben staying outside was either him not being able to "let go", or he was going to another place
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #480
New Yorker

Simply Beautiful.

Tags
lost