Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a finale open to so many possibilities for the premiere...heh. Literally, anything could happen come January.

That was freaking incredible. This is the theory that makes most sense to me:

The two in the beginning were God and the Devil. I know it seems rather simplistic, but this show has always been about a power struggle and switching sides. We never really know if Ben is good or bad and I think the last five minutes just confirmed that Ben doesn't know what side he's on either.
Locke was saved by God after falling out through a window. I really believe Locke was dead when he landed and Jacob's touch brought him to life. Jacob's interference made everyone get on that plane. I thought Jacob was creep at first, but he's done nothing but improve the lives of everyone he's touched:
Kate - saved her from jail
Sawyer - gave him the pen to finish the note
Jack - the candy bar was a nice touch. after one crap thing after another Jack got what he wanted
Jin/Sun - i wasn't really paying attention to what he said
Hurley - convinced him (and he really did convince him) that he wasn't crazy and that he must return to the island.

I think Ben again picked the wrong side when he decided to kill Locke, he was doing the work of the devil because Locke was very willing to give himself up. The fact that he didn't might just be the reason why...

his body was possessed by the devil. It explains his new attitude which isn't very Locke-like. Locke would never consent to killing everyone on the island and telling Richard about it.

The monster might just be one of the tools of the devil and Ben never really "controlled it" like he thought he did, it was always controlling him. That would mean that the vision he had of Alex telling him to follow Locke's orders really came from the devil himself.

Another thing, how would Locke know the exact day he would be injured and would have to make Richard heal him unless he was omniscient somehow. Locke is the devil, again.

This brings up an interesting scenario because if the bomb really did go off and everyone returns to 2004, Locke would have never died and the body would disappear from the beach.

FUCK THE NEXT EIGHT MONTHS. :angry:

I know some Latin, but couldn't understand Richard's answer to the statue question. Anybody else got anything? I think but am not even remotely sure that it was something like, "He who is ________." Thoughts?

I just read on another site: ""Ille qui nos omnes servabit," I think is supposed to be "The one who will save us all." 'Servo' can also mean 'guard' or 'serve,' but I think 'save' sounds best here."

My daughter, who has taken some Latin, agrees with this.

Yes, that's right. Or, well, if that is in fact what he said, then that is a pretty solid translation, even if sorta liberal. More literally, it would be closer to, "That/the one which will guard us all/everything."

Fucking Latin. Damned vocabulary's too small.

One thing I noticed for sure was that Jacob physically touched them all.

He touched Kate on the nose in the store.
He touched Sawyer when he gave him the pen.
He reached out and put his hands on both Jin and Sun's shoulders simultaneously.
He touched Jack when he gave him the candy bar.
He patted Hurley on the arm before he got out of the cab.
He touched Locke after the fall.

Dude. Wow.

Still processing it, and will probably have to watch it again to catch everything I missed. Loved Sun asking Richard for alcohol. :lol: I think I need some too!

My friends and I cheered when Juliet fell down the well, but then groaned when she reappeared. She's so boring, so lame. She's got like two expressions, that stupid sad one she usually has, and then that annoying little smirk. Her speech about "maybe they're not supposed to be together" was really weak, and I blame that on the writers. I really hope she doesn't live, and this is coming from someone who thought they did a great job with the Sawyer/Juliet relationship this year (until tonight).

SAVE SAYID.

My friends and I cheered when Juliet fell down the well, but then groaned when she reappeared. She's so boring, so lame. She's got like two expressions, that stupid sad one she usually has, and then that annoying little smirk. Her speech about "maybe they're not supposed to be together" was really weak, and I blame that on the writers. I really hope she doesn't live, and this is coming from someone who thought they did a great job with the Sawyer/Juliet relationship this year (until tonight).

SAVE SAYID.

:up::up::up:

Unfortunately (for Juliet) I think everyone is going to be alive and well in 2004.

One thing I noticed for sure was that Jacob physically touched them all.

He touched Kate on the nose in the store.
He touched Sawyer when he gave him the pen.
He reached out and put his hands on both Jin and Sun's shoulders simultaneously.
He touched Jack when he gave him the candy bar.
He patted Hurley on the arm before he got out of the cab.
He touched Locke after the fall.

What about Sayid when Nadia got plowed down in the street?

And wasn't Nadia supposedly murdered, which is why Sayid worked with Ben killing folks who Ben told him were responsible? So that was supposed to be an intentional hit and run we're supposed to surmise?

I thought Jacob was creep at first, but he's done nothing but improve the lives of everyone he's touched:
Kate - saved her from jail
Sawyer - gave him the pen to finish the note
Jack - the candy bar was a nice touch. after one crap thing after another Jack got what he wanted
Jin/Sun - i wasn't really paying attention to what he said
Hurley - convinced him (and he really did convince him) that he wasn't crazy and that he must return to the island.

:

Again, what about Sayid, did Jacob improve his life by letting him watch his wife run down in the street like a dog?

Ben told Sayid the person driving the truck hit her on purpose...making it murder....

My favorite line last night....Ben...."I'm a Pisces" :lol:

So another thing...the dude with Jacob at the beginning, who has obviously taken the form of Locke now, has he been appearing all along as other dead folks, Christian Shephard, sexy young Alex, Eko's brother et al?

And he clearly couldn't physically kill Jacob himself, needing to enlist Ben to stab him, but why is he then able to kick him into the fire?

I found it interesting that Jacob went to see everyone when they were adults, except for Kate (who was stealing an NKOTB lunchbox - HEE!) and Sawyer. There has to be some sort of significance as to why he did it that way...

My favorite line last night....Ben...."I'm a Pisces" :lol:

I know nothing about astrology - can someone fill me in as to why this should be funny? I assumed it was supposed to be a joke, but I didn't get it. :)

I know nothing about astrology - can someone fill me in as to why this should be funny? I assumed it was supposed to be a joke, but I didn't get it. :)

I don't think it had to do with Astrology, just Ben being funny...Locke (or SatanLocke) said he wanted to ask him something, Benry retorted "I'm a Pisces" making a joke that BeelzebubLocke's question was gonna be "what'syour sign?"

Again, what about Sayid, did Jacob improve his life by letting him watch his wife run down in the street like a dog?

Orrrrrrr, maybe Jacob only had the intention of saving Sayid. It's very likely that if the hit and run was intentional, he would have been right next to Nadia when the car hit and he would have died as well.

So another thing...the dude with Jacob at the beginning, who has obviously taken the form of Locke now, has he been appearing all along as other dead folks, Christian Shephard, sexy young Alex, Eko's brother et al?

And he clearly couldn't physically kill Jacob himself, needing to enlist Ben to stab him, but why is he then able to kick him into the fire?

I don't think the fire kills him, however. I can't remember if he had already fallen over "dead" by the time faux-Locke kicked him in the pit.

Over at ONTD we have been calling him Esau, the older brother of Jacob who subsequently gives up his birthright for some lentil beans.

Interesting quote from wiki on Jacob and Esau:
The Midrash says that whenever she would pass a house of Torah study, Jacob would struggle to come out; whenever she would pass a house of idolatry, Esau would agitate to come out.[3] She received the prophecy that twins were fighting in her womb and would continue to fight all their lives, and after they became two separate nations. The prophecy also said that the older would serve the younger; its statement "one people will be stronger than the other" has been taken to mean that the two nations would never gain power simultaneously: when one fell, the other would rise, and vice versa.

Fascinating when you plug it into the concept of Lost: Dharma folk vs. the hostiles.

Just read something that was pointed out in one of the forums:

Jacob and his frienemy cannot kill each other.
Ben and Widmore cannot kill each other.

:shifty: Why not?

I'm wondering why a lot of people seem to think Jacob is (was) the "good" one. At the beginning, the other guy was talking about people coming to the island causing bad things to happen, no? Sounds like someone concerned with something more than his own ambition.

EPIC, EPIC, EPIC, EPIC shit. Legendary episode. Pitch perfect, loved absolutely everything about it.

They faded to white! No fade to black. These motherfuckers faded to white.

I'll be back with more thoughts.

"Perfect" would imply that Kate, Jack, Sawyer, and Juliet were all written well, which they weren't. Extremely weak character motivation, they seemed to change their minds so quickly just to serve the demands of the plot.

Despite that, a hell of a lot of fun, but the present-day section is what really had resonance for me.

Back
Top Bottom