Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm kinda left wanting a bit more substance after some of these episodes... like there's just not much to chew on ... but that is probably because we're winding down, I don't know. It's not that I don't like it, it's still good stuff. Maybe it's because this close to the end with one season to go they can no longer introduce big new ideas, and we need to see all of this part of the story too to get to the final season. This episode was only alright for me.
I wonder what Hurley has in that guitar case? :hmm:

It definitely will suck. I am cry. :sad:

One thought I had after watching the show is that attempting to blow up Jughead could turn that whole mess into Smokey. Now, I could be totally wrong about this, because it's so difficult to keep track of what happened when, and what freaking year it is. Maybe Smokey is already "alive" in 1977, I can't remember. But what if something goes horribly wrong when they try to detonate it, and whatever happens turns it into Smokey? I wouldn't be surprised if I'm totally off base on that, but it's what my brain came up with. :lol:

One thought I had after watching the show is that attempting to blow up Jughead could turn that whole mess into Smokey. Now, I could be totally wrong about this, because it's so difficult to keep track of what happened when, and what freaking year it is. Maybe Smokey is already "alive" in 1977, I can't remember. But what if something goes horribly wrong when they try to detonate it, and whatever happens turns it into Smokey? I wouldn't be surprised if I'm totally off base on that, but it's what my brain came up with. :lol:

Actually I thought that, too.

Another thing I thought is that maybe detonating the bomb won't prevent the Incident, but will cause it.

Whatever happened, happened, right?

If we're going by that, then none of them need to worry about what decision to make because it's already been decided.
I would personally leave the tunnels and go hang out with Hurley and Jin on the beach. :dance:

While I'm really enjoying the season, my wife hates the time travel stuff because she can't make sense of it. She wants to keep watching it because she's invested so much time in it over the years, but it's really tiresome hearing her complain about how time travel is stupid and she wants the smoke monster back, and how she hates Locke and hates him more now that he's so big, etc.

If we're going by that, then none of them need to worry about what decision to make because it's already been decided.
I would personally leave the tunnels and go hang out with Hurley and Jin on the beach. :dance:

But they've pretty much decided that what Dan says is correct about the fact that they can change things. IMO, saying that and then saying they need to detonate the bomb is counter-productive. I think if they left the bomb alone, then the Incident would never have happened and everything would go back to how it's "supposed" to.

But I could be totally wrong.

I changed my mind. I'd go to the beach, round up the crew and take over the Swan by force. No bomb needed. Then they could stop the drilling and prevent everything. :up:

But they've pretty much decided that what Dan says is correct about the fact that they can change things. IMO, saying that and then saying they need to detonate the bomb is counter-productive. I think if they left the bomb alone, then the Incident would never have happened and everything would go back to how it's "supposed" to.

Well Faraday's research showed that the drilling is what caused The Incident. The bomb is a way to offset the effects of that drilling, or the energy it's going to come into contact with.

Last night after Lost, we did as we do every week, spent the rest of the night discussing it (we're dorks that way), and my daughter came up with a question I'd never considered, and ever since she mentioned it, it's bugging me.

So, young Ben got taken to the temple when he was shot, and whatever they did to him in there made him an Other. In his conversation with Widmore in the temple, Widmore told him that he would be sent back to Dharma soon, but that he can still be an Other. We haven't seen young Ben returned to Dharma yet, but I'm assuming he was, since on the day of his father's death/the purge, we see Ben dressed in a Dharma uniform, going off to work with his father. However, the scene where he stole baby Alex from Rousseau took place pre-purge - Alex was born in 1989, and the purge was supposedly in 1992. So what was Ben doing all those years, pretending to be a member or Dharma, living in the Dharma barracks but sneaking off to commune with his new people, stealing babies and such? And if so, how would that work, how would Dharma not realize he was missing for what I'm guessing were considerable chunks of time, and with all their security cameras in place, etc?

Any ideas? :huh:

That's sort of the outlook Jack took when he decided not to act after young Ben got shot, and it turned out that he was right.

Actually I thought that, too.

Another thing I thought is that maybe detonating the bomb won't prevent the Incident, but will cause it.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and I have a feeling we're both correct. I guess we'll see next week.

Well Faraday's research showed that the drilling is what caused The Incident. The bomb is a way to offset the effects of that drilling, or the energy it's going to come into contact with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but The Incident has never really been defined, has it? We don't know exactly what The Incident entails. How does Daniel know that the energy is the cause of it, and not the detonation of the bomb itself?

I'm already going into withdrawal too, y'all. :(

Last night after Lost, we did as we do every week, spent the rest of the night discussing it (we're dorks that way), and my daughter came up with a question I'd never considered, and ever since she mentioned it, it's bugging me.

So, young Ben got taken to the temple when he was shot, and whatever they did to him in there made him an Other. In his conversation with Widmore in the temple, Widmore told him that he would be sent back to Dharma soon, but that he can still be an Other. We haven't seen young Ben returned to Dharma yet, but I'm assuming he was, since on the day of his father's death/the purge, we see Ben dressed in a Dharma uniform, going off to work with his father. However, the scene where he stole baby Alex from Rousseau took place pre-purge - Alex was born in 1989, and the purge was supposedly in 1992. So what was Ben doing all those years, pretending to be a member or Dharma, living in the Dharma barracks but sneaking off to commune with his new people, stealing babies and such? And if so, how would that work, how would Dharma not realize he was missing for what I'm guessing were considerable chunks of time, and with all their security cameras in place, etc?

Any ideas? :huh:

The only reason that 1992 is being thrown around as the year of the Purge is because a fan noted that a watch that Ben was wearing the day of the event was not manufactured before that year. I do not believe TPTB have said specifically what year the Purge took place.

Although, now that I think of it, when Horace spoke to Locke when the latter was looking for Jacob's cabin, he mentioned that he has been dead for 11 years (or something like that). So maybe the Purge was in 1993 or something.

In answer to your question, all I can say is this: we haven't seen the full story yet. I believe that there were elements within Dharma that sympathized or even worked in concert with the Others. I say this for a few reasons. For one, the Swan was being built deep in Hostile territory. Do you think that they would be able to do this without the Hostile's knowledge?

What about Amy, Ethan's mother? You'll recall that Ethan was also with Ben when he kidnapped Alex. I think she's some type of double agent, but really is on the Others' side.

All this to say that when Widmore spoke to Ben, he knew that there were Others that had already infiltrated Dharma, and it's these people that helped Ben during his absences. These people probably also helped him pull off the Purge as well.

The only reason that 1992 is being thrown around as the year of the Purge is because a fan noted that a watch that Ben was wearing the day of the event was not manufactured before that year. I do not believe TPTB have said specifically what year the Purge took place.

Although, now that I think of it, when Horace spoke to Locke when the latter was looking for Jacob's cabin, he mentioned that he has been dead for 11 years (or something like that). So maybe the Purge was in 1993 or something.

In answer to your question, all I can say is this: we haven't seen the full story yet. I believe that there were elements within Dharma that sympathized or even worked in concert with the Others. I say this for a few reasons. For one, the Swan was being built deep in Hostile territory. Do you think that they would be able to do this without the Hostile's knowledge?

What about Amy, Ethan's mother? You'll recall that Ethan was also with Ben when he kidnapped Alex. I think she's some type of double agent, but really is on the Others' side.

All this to say that when Widmore spoke to Ben, he knew that there were Others that had already infiltrated Dharma, and it's these people that helped Ben during his absences. These people probably also helped him pull off the Purge as well.

I've never heard about the watch theory. What I did read though is that the main thing people seem to be going on Horace's statement (he said it was 12 years, which would make it '92. Another piece of evidence that points to it being in the 90s is that Kelvin, the guy who was in the Hatch with first Radinsky and then Desmond, was recruited by Dharma after he'd served in the Gulf war, which didn't start till the 90s. Maybe he was recruited by off-island Dharma personnel, but whatever the case, all signs so far seem to point to the purge being in the early 90s.

Your double agent theory is interesting. I'd like to hear more about Amy. I hope they address her story.

I also meant to say, Thora, interesting theory about the creation of the smoke monster. :up:

Finally got around to watching the most recent episode. Some good stuff setting up the finale. Sayid popping out of nowhere in the jungle to blow that guy away was awesome. And I will admit to getting a big kick out of Locke's little reveal at the very end. "I'm going to kill him."

Oh snap! Locke vs. Jacob. Look out.

Can't wait for Wednesday. All of the previous Season Finales on the show have been stellar, so we should be in for a treat. And of course a big ass cliffhanger type of thing that "will have us talking about it all summer" as the TV voice-over ad guy is telling me.

Oh snap! Locke vs. Jacob. Look out.

I almost have a feeling that Locke thinks Jacob does not exist. What he means by "killing" him, is that he's going to prove to the Others that Jacob is a sham.

And I think Locke is right. I think whoever is really running things on the island has been using the whole Jacob thing to control the others. I have a feeling Richard knows this. There is a real "power" if you will on the island. . .Smokey is definitely part of it, but perhaps Jacob is not actually that power.

I've been reading the Wikipedia article on Jacob this morning and came across something interesting:

Jacob then made a further move while Rachel was pregnant; near Bethlehem, Rachel went into labor and died as she gave birth to her second son, Benjamin (Jacob's twelfth son)

:hmm:

Richard is in the Bible somehow, right? :shifty:

Edit:
The first or given name Richard derives from the Germanic elements "ric" (ruler, leader, king) and "hard" (strong, brave), therefore it means 'powerful leader.'

We'll see about that.

I've concluded two things:

There is no Jacob. Jacob is a control mechanism Ben and Richard have used to manipulate the minds of everyone.

Oh, and the writers are making all of this up on the fly from episode to episode, and we should stop trying to make sense of it.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom