Lost—Season 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems to me that there are the people who throw their weight around and then there are the real power players. Ben and Widmore would be the former--I often get the sense they are trying to be in control but really aren't. Richard definitely the latter--every time you see him, he's cool as a cucumber; doesn't NEED anybody to do anything the way Ben does. Nothing seems to throw him. If anyone really knows what's going on, it's him. Him and maybe Christian Shepherd.

The most recent episode was one of the best because unlike some of the others, it really was character driven. That brings the heart to LOST and makes it much more compelling to watch. The early seasons where they always had the flashbacks where you learned more about the characters and what made them tick--those were great. This episode brought back a little of that with the emphasis on Sawyer.

This season is just getting better and better. The last couple of epsiodes have been fantastic...Richard is now my new favorite character. You get the sense that the guy has his own plans. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

sure, it was cool

but it lasted about one minute,

so they time shifted back thousands of years,
but came right back :shrug:

it's definitely getting better and better the tension between Jack and Sawyer was fucking amazing in that last scene, can't wait for next week

They really need to stop trying to surprise us with characters. I mean, seriously, is there anyone who didn't know it would be Christian Shephard who turned the light on at the barracks? Is there anyone who didn't know it was Ben the second a small boy showed up at the jail cell? I'm almost insulted every time they do it.

That said, this was another excellent episode.

I was so excited to FINALLY get to see Radzinsky.

They really need to stop trying to surprise us with characters. I mean, seriously, is there anyone who didn't know it would be Christian Shephard who turned the light on at the barracks? Is there anyone who didn't know it was Ben the second a small boy showed up at the jail cell? I'm almost insulted every time they do it.

Yeah, that got on that kick around last season, I think. Sometimes (as in "The Economist" reveal of Ben), they even distort the person's voice, which is a very cheap, lazy technique. It covers up lazy/rushed writing, timing, and photography, and is textbook bad film-making.

At any rate, that is a very, very, very minor complaint. It bugs me, but it only bugs me while it's happening. I thought that this episode worked wonderfully! For a while, now, I haven't gotten much genuine excitement from mid-season Lost episodes (episodes not right at the front- or back-end of a season), but this one gave me just that. I really liked it. Maybe not as much as "The Economist" or "The Constant," last year (probably two of my favorite Lost episodes ever, regardless of episode number), but I liked it well enough. I didn't feel like too much time wasting was going on, I thought the pacing worked, I thought the acting was a bit better than usual (ie, not to TV-esque), etc..

Oh, and while the brutally obvious mystery reveals and the pointlessly and uncharacteristically hostile tone of the Jack/Sawyer confrontation did rub me the wrong way (Jack: "Hey, man. 'Sup?" Sawyer: "Fuck off and die, you wretched cunt." wtf?), I was very happy to see that, yes, that runway was being built for a reason, back in season 3. Maybe the creative staff really did always know--more or less--where this hoo-ha was going...!

Does anyone else feel like their worlds are colliding when Caesar is in a scene? I want to shout at my tv: "dude! You took a wrong turn in your rowboat!"

Also, this. I'm also worried that he and Sayid are going to go head-to-head to see who can out-torture whom. Could be intense. Perhaps Marky Mark will make an appearance, and they can take turns electrocuting him...?

Oh, and while the brutally obvious mystery reveals and the pointlessly and uncharacteristically hostile tone of the Jack/Sawyer confrontation did rub me the wrong way (Jack: "Hey, man. 'Sup?" Sawyer: "Fuck off and die, you wretched cunt." wtf?), I was very happy to see that, yes, that runway was being built for a reason, back in season 3. Maybe the creative staff really did always know--more or less--where this hoo-ha was going...!

To be fair to Sawyer, it seemed like Jack was the one who came over and started trouble first. He chastises Sawyer for reading a book, but has no context, like the notion that these guys have been there for three years already and aren't going to make rash decisions when they don't have to.

Sawyer points out that he just saved all of their asses and that Jack needs to take a chill pill. Totally appropriate. And Sawyer's line about Jack not being a very good leader, and winding up back on the island was spot-on. Jack is a bitch (though I still find his character interesting and somewhat likable), and pretty much has been for most of the show's tenure.

Also, what the hell was up with Sawyer saying Faraday's not around anymore? We know he's in Dharma because of this season's opening scene. So where is he now?

I'm still not sold on how that woman got Sayid handcuffed and all the way to the airport and why he didn't want to cooperate with Sawyer and join the rest, still great episode, I honestly thought he was going to get killed before shooting Ben, it's going to be quite ironic if Jack gets to save Ben's life yet again

Sayid laughing at them while he was on the truth drug was fucking creeping me out.

So we still don't know who sent the flaming bus into the camp?

Back
Top Bottom