Lost—Season 5 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #271
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm sure we're going to be finding out a lot more about Dharma and The Others this season, which is cool because I find Alpert the most fascinating character right now.

And Candle doesn't just have 2 names. I'm pretty sure he has like 4 or 5 aliases...
Have these aliases been mentioned? I can't see a reason why this would be necessary for the island. Maybe on mainland for dodgey island related purposes, but on there?

And yeah, Alpert is an interesting one. What's curious is the power and authority cycle of these long timers. Who was it that said the island has a strange way of picking its leaders? Alpert, Linus, Widmore, Locke and sometimes even Jack all have occasional reins.

And where's Claire?? I need to know, damnit! I don't buy this Christian business. He's dead as a doornail. His image on the island is a ghost, surely.

And how does Locke die? Was it ever established why some can die and others cannot, like Michael?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:44 PM
I don't think Locke is really "dead". I think once his body is returned to the island he'll have some kind of recovery, even if it's in some Christian Shepherd-type fashion.

Not sure that Claire is even scheduled to appear this season, but supposedly she's returning next year.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #273
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
His name is Dr. Pierre Chang but in each of the orientation videos he uses an alias - Dr. Marvin Candle, Dr. Edgar Halliwax, and Dr. Mark Wickmund. Each of these names has a candle reference (candle, wick, wax) but it's probably just another one of those Lost things that most likely has no real meaning.
Pierre Chang
Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #274
Blue Crack Supplier

There are some new episode titles and plot descriptions up on the Season 5 page on Wikipedia, I think they have the next 4 or so listed.

One of them has a pretty spoilerific title but I'm very excited.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #275
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Aaaaand... Alpert and crew were militantly protective back in the 50s, right? So how did the Darma people not end up dead when they arrived years later and able to do all their work?

Aaaaand... Why did Marvin have 2 names? I was sure someone called him Dr Chen or some such, but he is also known as Marvin Candle? Why would this be?

I'm so bloody confused this season.
I think that Dharma and The Others may have had some sort of an uneasy, suspicious truce going on for decades? I do remember that Dharma had that "fence" thing up, where if you touched it the field surrounding it, it caused some sort of fatal reaction. Maybe that's how they maintained the peace? Until young Ben was recruited by The Others, of course, and then he was able to set up the purge that killed most of Dharma.

I think Candle essentially had a different name in each training video for each station. There must be some unknown reason for him needing a different alias for each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
I was actually wondering just how alike they are, and will Widmore also be forced/end up somehow sacrificing his daughter, or calling a failed bluff just like Linus? As soon as he said to Desmond this was bigger than him or his daughter, I thought Penny's days may be numbered.
The failed bluff resulting in Alex's death, that can probably be explained by the time travel phenomenon that's being featured this season. There's speculation out there that the reason Ben had been willing to gamble with Alex's life is because he had been through that scene in the past, and Alex always made it out alive. That would also account for his statement to Widmore, that Widmore "changed the rules." Maybe the rules had indicated that Alex shouldn't have died.

I wouldn't be surprised if Widmore would sacrifice Penny if he absolutely had to. It's all very vague and mysterious at this point, but if I had to bet on someone having good motivations (serving the island), it would be Ben, and Widmore would be the selfish one, serving his own interests.

ETA - I have to admit that I don't get much of the time travel thing. I have a very basic, superficial understanding about it - i.e.: they travel through time and end up in various periods of time. Daniel said in an earlier episode to imagine time "on a string." Okay, I think I've got that much. Then, I go reading message boards where they're having these in depth discussions about time travel within the parameters of what we've seen and been told on Lost, as well as other ways it's treated on various sci-fi pieces in popular culture. Things such as: is there a sequence you can time travel in? Can events be changed or not? Can someone die in the past if they're alive in the future? What about physical objects, can they time travel too?

The end result of all this reading is that what I thought I understood, I then realize that I really don't have a clue, all those big concepts make my head hurt, and then I curl up into a fetal position and cry, while attempting to comprehend it all.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
The failed bluff resulting in Alex's death, that can probably be explained by the time travel phenomenon that's being featured this season. There's speculation out there that the reason Ben had been willing to gamble with Alex's life is because he had been through that scene in the past, and Alex always made it out alive. That would also account for his statement to Widmore, that Widmore "changed the rules." Maybe the rules had indicated that Alex shouldn't have died.
If there's a way to somehow bring Alex back, I'm all for it.

No excuse for getting rid of a hottie like that.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #277
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, she's a gorgeous girl. Very, very pretty. I thought they did very well in the casting, with giving her a similar look to her mom. I mean, her mom is definitely a few decades older, more worn and kinda crazy, but I could see similarities.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

And ironically, the actress who plays Alex (Tania Raymonde) speaks fluent French.

Unfortunately, she's only 20 years old.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #279
Blue Crack Distributor

I had a long, convoluted Lost dream last night, that mixed up the characters on the show, real life, and then culminated with me getting together with a bunch of other uber fans to watch an episode. Obsessed much?

Laz, buck up, 20 is legal.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #280
Blue Crack Supplier

Not as good as my Alex dream, but you probably didn't have to do laundry after yours.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #281
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not as good as my Alex dream, but you probably didn't have to do laundry after yours.
No, not at all. In part of it, I cajoled a decades long quasi-crush (my older brother's friend) into kissing me. What's the opposite of needing to do laundry? There's a reason that crushes stay crushes, sometimes.

Then I went to this place that Sayid was staying with a bunch of other Iraqis, and watched while one of the guys living there gave him keys to a car that he had stashed there - a red Camaro. Because in my mind, Sayid prefers 80's style transportation, apparently.

Locke was also in it, but I can't remember his part.

I also had to run to a place to vote for Obama before the episode came on (hello, Canadian, here). I voted by inserting a thing that looked like a Ritz cracker into this slot. The cracker crumbled, and out came this receipt type thing that indicated my Obama vote had been registered. I have no idea WTF that could possibly mean.

Then when I got back to the place where we were viewing the episode, one guy was literally in tears, saying that watching Lost makes him "emotional." I remember thinking that at least I wasn't the geekiest fan there.

So, yeah.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
I'm hoping tonight's episode is actually, ya know, exciting. And that it has as little Dan Faraday as possible. With his annoying voice and his time-traveling bullshit and his ratty beard.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier

Davies can certainly get on the nerves, but he's the most interesting character since Ben.

FAIL.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #284
Blue Crack Distributor

I KNEW IT!! : pumpsfistinair:
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:44 PM
I am so disappointed with this show.

Tags
lost