Let's Talk About Comedians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
We had a thread about this a while back, I think it's time for a new one.

I've been watching a lot of standup comedy (and had to do my own routine) for my public speaking class, and I've been getting into a lot of it lately. What's Interference got to say about this matter?

Probably would pay to see Chappelle, hard to say. I watch Bill Maher whenever he has an HBO special. Lewis Black, the same.

I won't consider the dead comedians or most of the old-stand by's. Like Seinfeld, last time I saw him perform (HBO?) he was brutally unfunny. And Jon Stewart doesn't do it anymore AFAIK but he was a funny bastard. If you asked me the funniest stand up I ever saw, I might pick his HBO special from about 10 years ago (before he was on the Daily Show). And Carlin was great, although I would say less funny than witty.

some I like that are still 'active':
David Cross (has he done any stand up in years? When he's on fire. He's probably my fav.)
Dave Attell (god damn funny, every time. He's a drunk, I can sympathize.)
Patton Oswalt (funny geek comedy, probably not for everyone)
Brian Regan (clean and bordering on banal observation comedy but funny)
Jim Gaffigan (funny but if you've seen him once, you've more or less seen his act)
Kat Williams (sort of 'one note' foulmoth but I laugh)
Demitri Martin (prop comedian essentially but he's clever)
Gervais and Izzard (had to have a couple of UK picks)

There is the red haired dude from those Vh1 shows who is pretty funny as well.
Fitzpatrick? Some Irish name.

I'd go see Dave Chappelle and Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry Seinfeld's tickets are outrageous though, something like $300 a pop.

Probably would pay to see Chappelle, hard to say. I watch Bill Maher whenever he has an HBO special. Lewis Black, the same.

I won't consider the dead comedians or most of the old-stand by's. Like Seinfeld, last time I saw him perform (HBO?) he was brutally unfunny. And Jon Stewart doesn't do it anymore AFAIK but he was a funny bastard. If you asked me the funniest stand up I ever saw, I might pick his HBO special from about 10 years ago (before he was on the Daily Show). And Carlin was great, although I would say less funny than witty.

some I like that are still 'active':
David Cross (has he done any stand up in years? When he's on fire. He's probably my fav.)
Dave Attell (god damn funny, every time. He's a drunk, I can sympathize.)
Patton Oswalt (funny geek comedy, probably not for everyone)
Brian Regan (clean and bordering on banal observation comedy but funny)
Jim Gaffigan (funny but if you've seen him once, you've more or less seen his act)
Kat Williams (sort of 'one note' foulmoth but I laugh)
Demitri Martin (prop comedian essentially but he's clever)
Gervais and Izzard (had to have a couple of UK picks)

There is the red haired dude from those Vh1 shows who is pretty funny as well.
Fitzpatrick? Some Irish name.

I agree with pretty much everything here, and can't recommend David Cross' stand-up enough.

That being said, Patton Oswalt's rant on the Star Wars prequels is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

Let's keep the videos coming people! :laugh: "Cannot access printer? It's here!"

My favourite comedians are Stephen K Amos, British (though he tends to reuse a lot of his jokes), Wil Anderson, Australian, Carl Barron, Australian (the best in clean, observational humour) and Jason Bryne, Irish, who when I saw him earlier this year at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival (the only other big ones are Montreal and Edinburgh, happy to have it here! :D) he had me in pain I was laughing that hard. Here's a video.

YouTube - Jason Byrne Edinburgh and beyond Pt1

It is shocking, and that's part of why it's so great. Not sure what other comedians were doing 9/11 material, but he hit the nail right on the head with his targets, from the tragedy vampires to the moneymaking opportunists to the jingoistic buffoons.

Also some brilliant material on the Catholic Church after the giant molestation scandal.

My all-time favorite is probably Bill Hicks though.

Richard Pryor is easily the funniest stand-up comedian I've ever seen. I'm laughing right now just thinking about some of that guy's routines. My friends and I quote Richard all the time. He's the best.

I would pay to see Robin Williams.

I missed Lee Evans, and he is funny as ****.

Jo Brand can be very funny at times, shes great craic about herself (crude, but its okay).

I love Rich Hall thou, very fast yet slow comedian, on the ball. nice looking too.

Frankie Boyle is one of the best comedians in the Uk at the moment, such a dark, sardonic sense of humour.

YouTube - Frankie Boyle, funny guy

I can't physically bear Frankie Boyle, he has this awful habit of saying the most obvious gag in all situations - I never bother watching mock the week when he's on it.

My favourite comediens/comediennes - Bill Hicks, Larry David, Eddie Izzard, Jo Brand, Russell Brand (I won't hear a bad word said against the chap!), Bill Bailey and Joan Rivers. There are probably about a million I've missed off, those are the first that come to mind.

In 2003 Chris Rock did a couple of warm up shows at the Comedy Connection in Faneuil Hall Boston to test out new material before embarking on a theater tour. Tix went on sale just a week before the shows and I managed to get a pair. You get seated when you arrive at the club, and they put my wife and I in 2 of the 5 seats that are along the left side of the stage.
Here's a small shot of the stage:
ConnectionPicture.jpg

Just to the left of the picture, where the side of the stage returns to the back wall, a table runs parallell to the stage with 5 seats on each side, we sat on the stage side, my feet literally resting on the stage (its only about a foot high) while Rock did his act...for $25 a ticket. Friggin hilarious.

I've also seen:
Robin Williams
Eddie Murphy
Sam Kinnison
Rodney Dangerfield

Williams was hilarious, Murphy not so much, seemed like he figured just saying "fuck" hundreds of times should get him laughs, Kinnison was good and Rodney was classic Rodney, though frankly the no name who opened for him was funnier.

Also many local comedians, big names in Boston including Steven Wright, Lenny Clarke and Anthony Clark several times each. Anthony Clark was quite the stand up comedian prior to getting into TV when he was fresh out of Emerson college.

Edit: just remembered I also saw Drew Carey before the Drew Carey show, he opened for John Caponera who he had costarred with in a short lived series just prior ("The Good Life" I think). Drew was pretty funny.

The last Chris Rock special was ok, nowhere near as good as his last couple. I'd love to see Lewis Black, Jerry Seinfeld I would have paid to have seen back in the day, but I think now he's too into the "kids and family" routine - if anyone has seen him lately can they tell me if that's true or not?

Lisa Lampenelli is hilarious, too.

I think my all-time favorite has to be George Carlin :love:

george-carlin.jpg

I was pretty saddened by his passing earlier this year. I did get to see him live a few years ago at the Universal Amphitheater (who knows what name it goes by now). His material is timeless. Just as funny now as it was 30 years ago. I can't just pick one clip, but here's one that came to mind quickly:

YouTube - George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"

I did see Robin Williams at the same theater (different night obviously) years ago as well, when he decided to go back on tour. Pretty funny. Of course it later ended up being an HBO Special. I could have saved $150! Actually Carlin's eventually turned into a special as well. Still wouldn't have missed that one for the world!

And who here is old enough to remember Sam Kinison!

Almost forgot I've seen Mr. Deal or No Deal 3 or 4 times...he was quite funny in his day, also saw Gallagher once from the 2nd row...sledgomatic gets real annoying real fast when you're sitting that close.

I can't physically bear Frankie Boyle, he has this awful habit of saying the most obvious gag in all situations - I never bother watching mock the week when he's on it.
Well he's on it every week lol. Seriously, he just completely outshines everyone on that programme, and the majority of his most shocking jokes don't get aired.

I've never been one for really liking comedians, there is normally something about them that turns me off; but Frankie Boyle, for some reason does everything right in my opinion. His current UK tour is going very successfully atm. Everyone take a little time to watch that clip and give him a chance. :D

Well he's on it every week lol. Seriously, he just completely outshines everyone on that programme, and the majority of his most shocking jokes don't get aired.

I've never been one for really liking comedians, there is normally something about them that turns me off; but Frankie Boyle, for some reason does everything right in my opinion. His current UK tour is going very successfully atm. Everyone take a little time to watch that clip and give him a chance. :D

And that's why I don't watch it that often :lol: QI's better :up: Nah I don't find him funny. I think there's a fine line between being rude/obnoxious because it's funny and then being rude/obnoxious for no reason. He always crosses that line, and just irritates the hell out of me :lol:

I was watching some old school Robin Williams last night and just dying :lol:

:yippie:

He was on Graham Norton the other night, I LOVE THAT MAN! Mrs Doubtfire rules :lol:

It is shocking, and that's part of why it's so great. Not sure what other comedians were doing 9/11 material, but he hit the nail right on the head with his targets, from the tragedy vampires to the moneymaking opportunists to the jingoistic buffoons.

Also some brilliant material on the Catholic Church after the giant molestation scandal.

My all-time favorite is probably Bill Hicks though.

All you need is a nickel, a jet ski, a zinc tablet, and a wish.

Back
Top Bottom