Let's Talk About Comedians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably one of Britain's best comedians of the last decade - Jack Dee, check this out... just a taster, by no means his finest stuff, was just the first video i clicked on.

YouTube - Jack Dee Local Newspapers

PS. little Bono reference at the end as well :D[/URL]

George Lopez is also hilarious.

He's probably my favorite, except that he's gotten far too serious, at least recently. It was a little off-putting in his most recent special.

I also love Jeff Dunham :uhoh: and Eddie Izzard is pretty great obviously. I just saw Ricky the other day though, and I enjoyed that.

Oh Jim Gaffigan too!, but yeah, if you've heard him once, that's pretty much all he's got to offer.

Ellen DeGeneres is always funny. I like her a lot. Rick Mercer, here in Canada...David Letterman.

I think Ellen's quite underrated actually, we have her standup dvd and the interpretative dance at the start is priceless.

"Maybe so I don't end up as a fucking waffle waitress like you."

:lmao:

"You're a Christian. Forgive me!"

I started watching Brian Regan & Jeff Dunham years ago. Regan's brother (can't remember his 1st name right now!) is also OK, but never as great to me as Brian. (He had a bit when I used to watch him all the time on Night at the Improv about people saying 'You, too' at stupid/inappropriate times that used to kill me!). I'm very out of the loop these days with most of the up & coming comics.

Always loved Carlin & Williams (the last 10 minutes of his recorded show in Boston from several years ago almost made a group of 7 adults wet their pants the first time we saw it :up: ). Bill Hicks was great & I like to catch Lewis Black when I can.

One that always makes me chuckle & hasn't been mentioned is Tim Wilson. I don't know how well known he is outside of the southeastern part of the States. He's definately heavy on the 'southern flavor', which can be a big turnoff for me, but he usually cracks me up & writes some great songs. "Chuckie Cheese Hell" is a classic. :bow: "Ricky Tidwell's Mama" & "It's a Sorry World" are other favorites.

As far as ladies, I've always liked Ellen DeGeneres' style. Judy Gold was another favorite along with Rosie O'Donnell - before she lost her damn mind. :huh:

Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg are my two favorites at the moment, with Hicks being the clear favorite. I have gotten two of his albums, including Arizona Bay, which is doubly awesome because music is mixed in to it ... and it's all music by Hicks himself.

Apparently this Otis Lee Crenshaw bloke, or Rich Hall, or whatever his name is, is meant to be pretty funny.

Our comedy festival's on now.. :love: I saw Jason Bryne - see him before you die - and Wil Anderson, who stuck a poor girl's shoe down his pants after she walked out of the room.

Does anyone have an opinion on Dane Cook? I know nothing about him but he's going to be playing a show here and I'm thinking about buying tickets.

I'm of the mindset like an above poster that excessive cursing is a turn off. Chris Rock, anyone? My hubby loves him. :crack:

Edit* Went back a few pages..no offense on CR, just difference of opinion! And I will now contradict myself when I say I remember Sam Kinison and he was hysterical. I think he was more dirty than expletive happy, though. Remember his necrophiliac bit? Dear God...

Last edited:
I haven't got a problem with excessive swearing in shows. I've seen a number of gigs now, and more often than not, it adds to the show rather than taking away from it. But I will concede that relying on 'fuck' to get a laugh rather than material is pretty weak, but I haven't encountered that yet.

Good thread. :D

I like quite a few stand up comedians. I'll do a little list :applaud:
Billy Connolly - never used to take much notice, but love him now.
Michael McIntyre -quite new in the uk. very funny tho.
Jack Dee - love that dry, sarcastic humour:up:
Russell Brand :up:
Alan Carr - so funny
Jasper Carrott - doesn't do stand up anymore, but was great when he did

Used to love Bob Monkhouse as well. Graham Nortons stand up is good better than the chat show.:up: I really really don't get Ricky Gervais at all though.:ohmy: Also not keen on too much swearing and vulgarity eg Roy chubby brown, he's way too much for me:down:

Does anyone have an opinion on Dane Cook? I know nothing about him but he's going to be playing a show here and I'm thinking about buying tickets.

I'm of the mindset like an above poster that excessive cursing is a turn off. Chris Rock, anyone? My hubby loves him. :crack:

Edit* Went back a few pages..no offense on CR, just difference of opinion! And I will now contradict myself when I say I remember Sam Kinison and he was hysterical. I think he was more dirty than expletive happy, though. Remember his necrophiliac bit? Dear God...

I think Dane Cook is the spawn of Satan, sent to Earth solely to lower the standards of comedy for everyone.

I've been a stand up comedy junkie for decades. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved watching stand up. I can pretty much watch any comedian. From clean to dirty. My favorite comedian is George Carlin. George was the maverick of mavericks when it came to comedy. I also dug Sam Kinison. I actually got the chance to see him live in the Spring of 1990. Sammy was crazy for sure. I also got the chance to see Dice when he was in his prime and that was insane too. I guess my favorite comedian from today is Chris Rock. His last HBO special wasn't as funny as his previous HBO specials, but it was still very funny. Shit, I also gotta mention Don Rickles. He is the King of one liners. He's great too!

I :heart: Dane Cook tho a lot of people don't like him. His shows aren't full of disgusting language and the "F" word 5 times in every sentence. He's got great stories to tell. He's playing the San Diego Sports Arena next month and I'd love to go but spent my money on U2.

I also love Eddie Izzard and Ron White's "You Can't Do Stupid" is a classic! Last night I watched a Kathy Griffin special. She's pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom