Late Night w/David Letterman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was just channel surfing and came across it in the context of the show, rather than the clips i'd seen on the news. it did look like he was setting up a joke or something and he probably could have made it clearer he was dead serious. clearly though, he did admit to it through his sense of humour, so it's a bit hard to judge the audience.

I think you have to also take into account the fact that a lot of people may not know Dave is married. Its not like he said 'I cheated on my wife', only that he had sex with coworkers. Even in a real life scenario, I'm sure I'd have a much different reaction depending on the wording (ie "awesome!" *high five* vs ".....ooooooh")

He was my first older man crush back in the 80's when I was a teenager. Never underestimate the power of a sense of humour and a general nice guy vibe in attraction.

Same here, and I agree. I think he also has that mystique/what's really lurking underneath all of that thing going on..maybe now's not the best time to bring that up. I'm not surprised by this given his flirtatious ways and just a vibe I pick up from him on his show. Jay Leno-now that would surprise me. Sure people meet at work and I don't think Dave is the type who is comfortable going outside his comfort zone (which is probably work for him) in order to seek sex or relationships or whatever he was looking for. Just seems to me that since his name is on the show and it's his production company, well he could/should/would have tried harder to avoid these workplace relationships and the possible implications of them. And since these women were apparently featured prominently on the show (at least one of them), it could lead to appearances of favoritism and other issues among coworkers. The fact is that there is a huge power imbalance there, whether it actually came into play or not it exists all the same. And just for that reason the smartest thing to do would be to cut things off at a certain point before they cross certain lines.

I just wonder if this blackmail thing is how his longtime girlfriend and now wife found out about these relationships or if he told her prior to all of this. That would sure be a lousy way to find out. At least one of the relationships allegedly took place in the 90's and I assume they were involved then. Unless they had "off" periods when both decided to see other people, the key word being both. For me that would be key, that's all I'm saying. Don't know how their relationship works.

Monday, October 5
Steve Martin (CD, "The Crow")
Lea Michele (Glee)
Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers (CD, "The Crow")

Tuesday, October 6Paul Shaffer
(Book, "We'll Be Here For the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Show-biz Saga")
Eliza Dushku (Dollhouse)
KISS (CD, "Sonic Boom")

Wednesday, October 7
Vince Vaughn (Couples Retreat)
Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Rosanne Cash (CD, "The List")

Thursday, October 8
Kristin Davis (Couples Retreat)
Barry Sonnenfeld

Friday, October 9
Jon Hamm (Mad Men) :heart:
Comedian, Andy Kindler
Brett Dennen (CD, "Hope For The Hopeless")

I think you have to also take into account the fact that a lot of people may not know Dave is married. Its not like he said 'I cheated on my wife', only that he had sex with coworkers. Even in a real life scenario, I'm sure I'd have a much different reaction depending on the wording (ie "awesome!" *high five* vs ".....ooooooh")

Same here, and I agree. I think he also has that mystique/what's really lurking underneath all of that thing going on..maybe now's not the best time to bring that up. I'm not surprised by this given his flirtatious ways and just a vibe I pick up from him on his show. Jay Leno-now that would surprise me. Sure people meet at work and I don't think Dave is the type who is comfortable going outside his comfort zone (which is probably work for him) in order to seek sex or relationships or whatever he was looking for. Just seems to me that since his name is on the show and it's his production company, well he could/should/would have tried harder to avoid these workplace relationships and the possible implications of them. And since these women were apparently featured prominently on the show (at least one of them), it could lead to appearances of favoritism and other issues among coworkers. The fact is that there is a huge power imbalance there, whether it actually came into play or not it exists all the same. And just for that reason the smartest thing to do would be to cut things off at a certain point before they cross certain lines.

I just wonder if this blackmail thing is how his longtime girlfriend and now wife found out about these relationships or if he told her prior to all of this. That would sure be a lousy way to find out. At least one of the relationships allegedly took place in the 90's and I assume they were involved then. Unless they had "off" periods when both decided to see other people, the key word being both. For me that would be key, that's all I'm saying. Don't know how their relationship works.

Good points.

In general, unless there's some sort of blatant hypocrisy going on (family values-promoting politicians or religious figures, for example), I feel very uncomfortable sitting in judgment of any individual who gets caught cheating, and has to do the public confession thing. As far as I'm concerned, all they need to atone to is their SO and their higher power, if they have one.

MrsS, I do agree with the bulk of what you say, but I think in reality, workplace relationships and dalliances are never going to be stopped, and for some people, work IS their major source for finding relationships/sex/whatever. Admittedly, there is less room for the appearance of wrongdoing when it's between equals or people who are not in a position of influencing the other's employment in any way, but supervisory - subordinate relationships still happen. I suppose if an employee(s) got pissy and wanted to sue under the guise that Birkett had some sort of unfair advantage in the workplace, that's their prerogative, and a risk that Letterman was taking in engaging in workplace relationships. I can't help but hope that it won't bite him on the ass too much though, because he does seem like a genuinely nice guy to me, someone who probably worked 16 hour days, maybe found himself getting close to female employees on occasion, and going beyond a typical boss - employee relationship. Factor into that that he's a celebrity, making it even more difficult for him to meet non-celebrity people to date (I can't ever recall him having dated a celebrity, but I could be wrong), so I can see how employees would be an ideal dating pool for him - they're people he gets to know, comes to trust, as opposed to meeting someone in a coffee shop or a bar, who may want to date him only for his status.

Cheating on a SO is almost always scummy at best, but I've been wondering about the timing of these relationships, as opposed to his long term relationship with Lasko, and Markoe before her. In the case of the former, they've been together for nearly 25 years, and just got married earlier this year, and their son is now...6? 7? So that's close to a 20 year relationship with no children, no marriage. I could be very wrong, but in general when something like that happens, it's because one or the other partner is a commitment-phobe who wants to keep their options open, or it is an on-again, off-again thing. I guess what I'm saying is, I would be very surprised if she wasn't aware of his propensity for other relationships, and that maybe the reason they waited till now to marry is because in his early 60's (heh) Dave had finally sowed his wild oats, and was ready to commit and settle down with one woman. The first known relationship was in the early 90s, so, very early in their relationship. The one with Birkett, I can't recall the timing of that, but I do know her from the show, and it's been many years since I've been a regular viewer of the show.

That was a very long-winded way of saying that not everything is black and white, and that I still want Letterman to be the good, decent guy he seems to be. :)

Is she the lead teen-girl? :up:

Steve Martin is always great on Letterman. They always have things set up too.

And I agree with your post, VP :up:

I suppose if an employee(s) got pissy and wanted to sue under the guise that Birkett had some sort of unfair advantage in the workplace,

Are you aware that is has been reported that Letterman paid for Birkett's law school in Manhattan, something like $50,000+ a year?

I think many people are looking at this through rose-colored glasses because they want to believe Dave is a good decent guy.

But if one sets their bias aside, it is apparent that Dave is a person that does creepy things. His own words, a creep.

I hope this goes to trial, so one can see Dave's selfish, piggish actions.
Why would a person do such a terrible thing to Dave. A person who by all acconts until this event appears to have been a much more decent guy than Letterman.

Are you aware that is has been reported that Letterman paid for Birkett's law school in Manhattan, something like $50,000+ a year?

I think many people are looking at this through rose-colored glasses because they want to believe Dave is a good decent guy.

But if one sets their bias aside, it is apparent that Dave is a person that does creepy things. His own words, a creep.

Why would a person do such a terrible thing to Dave. A person who by all acconts until this event appears to have been a much more decent guy than Letterman.

It's not apparent to me at all, you don't speak for everyone.

Is he also a creep because his now wife used to work for him? Or his other longterm public relationship with Markoe, does that also make him a creep? I'm assuming that that those relationships also started while they were still employed by him. Or are those relationships okay? If so, why? What's the difference?

C'mon, I'm not sure why you seem to be on this vendetta against public figures and their sex lives, but surely you must see that all scenarios are not equatable.

As for him putting her through school, is that illegal? I'm not being facetious in asking, I genuinely don't know. If it's not, what's the problem? All kinds of people have personal relationships and generously pay for things the other person can't afford, it doesn't necessarily have to be a whoring-out situation. Maybe he had her best interests in mind, and was trying to do something nice for her? Or do you feel that that obligated him to pay for the education of all other employees, too?

On the other hand, extortion IS illegal, so it's quite clear who the creepy one in this situation is.

If Birkett or the other girl had come out and stated that Dave took advantage of them in the workplace, my attitude would be much different. But by all accounts, they sound as if they were fully consensual relationships that just happened to start in the workplace. Nothing to get all worked up about, that I can see.

ETA: Further...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-letterman3-2009oct03,0,7695511.story

A spokesman for Worldwide Pants, Letterman's production company, said the company's sexual harassment policy did not prohibit sexual relationships between managers and employees.

"We have a written policy in our employee manual that covers harassment," the spokesman said in a statement. "It is circulated to every employee every year. Dave is not in violation of our policy and no one has ever raised a complaint against him."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33146450/ns/business-careers/
Here’s a section of CBS’ 2008 Business Conduct Statement: “If a consenting romantic or sexual relationship between a supervisor and a direct or indirect subordinate should develop, CBS requires the supervisor to disclose this information to his or her Company’s Human Resources Department to ensure that there are no issues of actual or apparent favoritism, conflict of interest, sexual harassment, or any other negative impact on others in the work environment.”

It is not known whether Letterman informed anyone at the company about his affairs. CBS Television spokesman Chris Ender would not comment on the issue beyond this: “Mr. Letterman addressed the issue during the show’s broadcast (Thursday) evening, and we believe his comments speak for themselves.”

So at worst, he's guilty of not reporting the relationships, and we don't even know if that's true.

I think he was using the word "creep" in a different way then how you took it.

Why would a guy do this to Dave? Um, because he was in debt, he was desperate, his girlfriend left him, and he had access to info about DL...basically he had a breakdown. It's as simple as that.

Also...Halderman a more decent guy than Letterman? Really? REALLY? Please direct me to any article that touts the guy's awesomeness.

But I understand...you obviously hate Dave, I mean, anyone who remarks that he joked about Palin's daughterS, as opposed to just the one daughter of legal-age, is obviously not a fan.

And yeah, if you know anything about him, Dave IS by all accounts a decent guy. Neurotic, complex, and, so it seems, a womanizer (and dating underlings is probably not advisable). But show me someone without any skeletons in their closet and I'll show you a world class bore.

Oh give me a break! :happy:

Clearly, he's made some mistakes. I'm sure you are so perfect, right? You are unbelievably judgemental.

I do agree this could prove to be a sticky situation for Letterman. But I'd still rather be in Letterman's shoes than Robert Halderman's right now.

As for perceptions of both Letterman and Halderman -- jeez people, we're on a U2 site. Think about that for a minute. We all know some people think Bono is the most pretentious asshole ever, while others think his shit is made of gold and smells like rose petals. I'm sure some people will no longer like Letterman, I don't think this will seriously hurt him unless some big, ugly bombshells are dropped as this plays out. An entertainer screwing around just isn't that big of a deal.

Letterman spoke some more about this issue last night. I only caught the tail end of it (I have it Tivo'd). But he knows he f**ked up with his wife & he's gotta lot of work to do if they are gonna come thru this.

Letterman says wife "horribly hurt" by sex scandalReuters - October 5, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

celebs: David Letterman..NEW YORK (Reuters) - Comedian David Letterman said on Monday his wife has been "horribly hurt" by revelations of his sexual affairs exposed in an extortion plot against him and he apologized to staff of his popular late-night talk show.

The host of "Late Show with David Letterman" said in the taping of his Monday show that he will try to patch things up with Regina, whom he married in March after dating for more than 20 years. The two have a 5-year-old son, Harry.

"She has been horribly hurt by my behavior, and when something happens like that, if you hurt a person and it's your responsibility, you try to fix it," Letterman told audiences, according to a statement from his company, Worldwide Pants.

"And at that point, there's only two things that can happen: either you're going to make some progress and get it fixed, or you're going to fall short and perhaps not get it fixed, so let me tell you folks, I got my work cut out for me."

He said he was "terribly sorry that I put the staff in that position. Inadvertently, I just wasn't thinking ahead ... my thanks to the staff for, once again, putting up with something stupid I've gotten myself involved in."

On Thursday, Letterman told audiences he had been victimized in an extortion plot by a man who threatened to write a screenplay or book about "all the terrible stuff" Letterman had done. The talk show host then admitted to having had sexual affairs with women employed by his show.

One day later, Robert "Joe" Halderman, a producer for CBS news program "48 Hours," was indicted on a charge of grand larceny for seeking $2 million in hush money from Letterman. Halderman faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

On Monday, Halderman's attorney Gerald Shargel took to U.S. morning talk shows to proclaim his client's innocence and say that Letterman's version of the story was only one side.

"David Letterman didn't give his (Halderman's) side of the story, David Letterman gave what he wanted the public to know," Shargel said on NBC's "Today" show.

"He wanted to get out ahead of the story, and that's exactly what he did," Shargel said of Letterman.

Shargel said it was unlikely that Halderman would have sought to extort Letterman by taking a $2 million check, because that is not how extortionists normally operate.

He declined to detail what may be his client's defense, but added that the veteran journalist has reported on crime stories for years. "He knows all about cops and wiretaps. And to suggest that he was trapped in an extortion plot is preposterous," the attorney said.

Shargel said he looked forward to questioning Letterman on the witness stand.

Court documents show Halderman owed an ex-wife $6,800 a month in child and spousal support, and authorities have said he is deep in debt.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Mohammad Zargham)

NOW Goes After David Letterman Over Affairs With Female Staffers

Wednesday, October 07, 2009
By Catherine Donaldson-Evans

NEW YORK —
The National Organization for Women has put David Letterman in its crosshairs.

NOW issued a strongly worded statement Tuesday night saying the late-night host created a "toxic environment" for his female employees by having sex with several young staff members over the years.

Letterman admitted to having multiple affairs last week after a CBS News producer allegedly threatened to blackmail him.

NOW President Terry O'Neill blasted the late-night funnyman, saying the affairs were classic examples of sexual harassment in the workplace.

"As 'the boss,' he is responsible for setting the tone for his entire workplace — and he did that with sex," O'Neill said. "This places all employees — including employees who happen to be women — in an awkward, confusing and demoralizing situation."

A powerful man with a public forum like Letterman, O'Neill said, can get away with turning women into sex objects because "he can crack a few jokes and publicly apologize for his mistakes."

"It is this kind of hypocrisy that perpetuates the image of men in power preying on women, while many look the other way," O'Neill said.

NOW urged CBS to take immediate action against Letterman for his lewd behavior — but so far, it has stopped short of calling on the network to drop his show.

"The National Organization for Women calls on CBS ... to take action immediately to rectify this situation," O'Neill said.

I hope Dave gets what he deserves. No more, no less.

Letterman's Former Hookup Banned from CBS Set

Posted Oct 7th 2009 4:43PM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned Stephanie Birkitt -- the woman at the center of the David Letterman sex scandal -- has been banned from setting foot on the CBS set where the "Late Show" is filmed.

dave.jpg

Birkitt used to be David's assistant -- appearing on the "Late Show" numerous times -- and later became his personal attorney. It was Birkitt's ex-boyfriend -- Robert Halderman -- who discovered Letterman's secret relationship with her ... and then allegedly threatened to release the scandalous information unless Letterman forked over $2 million.

Sources tell TMZ that security at CBS is well aware of Birkitt's ban from the set.

Worldwide Pants just issued the following statement: "Stephanie is on paid leave of absence ... she has not been banned from the Ed Sullivan Theatre."

But TMZ just spoke with someone associated with security at Letterman who just told us, "Security got a verbal order that she is 'banned' from the property for the time being."

According to her diary, the affair with Birkitt began Dec 2007, when she was living with Halderman. I am sure Dave's relationship with the mother of his child was in full swing, didn't they get married in 2008?

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

I'm just reminding myself that sexual harassment could be involved here, since there's such a dearth of that heretofore.

According to her diary, the affair with Birkitt began Dec 2007, when she was living with Halderman. I am sure Dave's relationship with the mother of his child was in full swing, didn't they get married in 2008?

Give it a rest, deep. Nobody cares, and whatever you're trying to convince us of, it ain't happening.

If I want to read more about it I know how to access the TMZ website.

The one thing that's for sure is that Dave's wife must be going through absolute Hell right now. My guess says she knew about Dave's other women, but now everyone else knows too. Doubly sucking. Then, of course, there's Dave's son. Who knows what the kid knows? I know he's only 5 or something, but kids definitely sense tension between their parents. Plus, if the kid's got 2 eyes, Dave's all over the TV, newspapers and the internet and he's gotta know something's up.

This latest stuff with Birkett being "banned" from the Ed Sullivan Theatre has been spun by CBS that she's on a "paid leave of absence".

I think the worst is yet to come.

The one thing that's for sure is that Dave's wife must be going through absolute Hell right now. My guess says she knew about Dave's other women, but now everyone else knows too

Yes-that's who he has to answer to. I don't know if she knew about the making out in the driveway/private street where Halderman was still living with her just this past August, if that's true. Tripley sucking. I don't know how much she knew about the previous-to-that activities-based upon his statement about things being cold and having so much work to do (unless that was more about Aug). If you make that commitment of marriage after 20 plus years, well why not honor it? Maybe he has and that stuff is untrue and made up by Halderman in order to give himself the motive of jealous, angry that she's still doing this w/Letterman rage and all that, could be possible.

Monday, October 12
Garry Shandling (DVD, It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series)
Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory)
Tim McGraw (CD, "Southern Voice")

Tuesday, October 13
Sienna Miller (Play, After Miss Julie)
Aniz Ansari (Parks and Recreation)
Dead By Sunrise (CD, "Out of Ashes")

Wednesday, October 14
Tina Fey (30 Rock) ♥
Chris "Mad Dog" Russo (Mad Dog Radio)
Mika (CD, "The Boy Who Knew Too Much")

Thursday, October 15
Don Rickles
Built To Spill (CD, "There Is No Enemy")

Friday, October 16
Uma Thurman (Motherhood)
Tim McGraw (CD, "Southern Voice")

Monday, October 26
Charles Barkley
Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
Harper Simon (CD, "Harper Simon")

Tuesday, October 27
Courteney Cox (Cougar Town)
Florence and the Machine (CD, "Lungs")

Wednesday, October 28
Patrick Dempsey (Grey's Anatomy)