Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Garrison

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
We watched this on HBO last night, very sad but interesting movie. Obviously everyone knows the history so no need for spoilers - however in watching the documentary there were many things i was not really aware of regarding his life.

First i should point out, while i was never a huge Nirvana fan, i had my copy of 'Nevermind' before Achtung Baby (on cassette, no less) if that means anything. I was sad to see him go to say the least.

Also i was never a Courtney Love hater, so to speak, i was never one of those who blamed her for Cobain's death. However after watching the doc i can hardly say my opinion of her has increased. If anything it's worse than before. There are some things about her i might have rather not seen or known about. I probably did know some of that stuff but had forgotten about it.

The music was great, the footage had quite the nostalgic quality about it, for lack of better terms. And yet it seemed so....fresh. Possibly because some of it had never been seen before. The art & visuals are fucking fantastic. They will blow you away.

The most moving part of the whole film for me though was the footage of Cobain as a little boy, a beautiful happy blonde haired blue eyed boy waving at the camera, blowing kisses, trying to feed crackers to a turtle statue. That just gets me right there - how did the precious child...how did his life go so wrong? He was loved, he was happy, he was cared for. If you are a parent and you have a child like that, or any child for that matter, you would sacrifice everything for that child's well-being. You would fight anyone or anything in this world for that child.

Yet once Kurt got past the cute baby stage he was too much for his mother, who shipped him off to live with his dad. This was fine apparently until his dad decided to re-marry, and then the trouble there started, so Kurt was off to live with this grandparent or that grandparent, until he eventually ends up back with his mother i suppose.

The bombardment of drugs, fame, success, and more drugs, and you know the rest of the story. Baby Francis Bean comes along, precious by her own right, and the video footage of her with Kurt and Courtney is almost too much to bear. And yes, that little boy waving at the camera and trying to feed crackers to a turtle, blowing kisses....

His entire family had turned their back on him at one point or another, and now this poor guy, once an innocent child captured in film, did the same to his own family and the rest of the world.

Damn...seems like yesterday all of this happened.

I'm really looking forward to watching this. I DVRd it last night.

I drive through Aberdeen whenever I drive to the ocean shores, and it's depressing to even drive through. I can't imagine growing up there.

I'm really looking forward to watching this. I DVRd it last night.

I drive through Aberdeen whenever I drive to the ocean shores, and it's depressing to even drive through. I can't imagine growing up there.

I can imagine. Didn't look horrible on film but then again things usually don't.

You will enjoy the Doc.

It just very much looks like a still-depressed industrial town. (Although now it's got Starbucks, Walmart, other newer retail stuff along the main drag.)

I guess my position is, without trying to sound like a total dick, you could probably put me into the worst town in 'MURICA and honestly it would be paradise compared to some of the places i have been in other parts of the world (think middle east). So yeah, it might have a shit town vibe to it and i totally missed it ;)

Well, of course. But as someone who's lived in Seattle for 15 years, when I drive through Aberdeen, I think "Yeah, I would have wanted to get the hell out of town and go to Seattle (or Olympia or whatever), too."

Damn...seems like yesterday all of this happened.

Thanks for posting the review, I look forward to seeing this, as well.

Back in the day, I was a fan, albeit not a huge one. I remember kind of rolling my eyes at the way they/Kurt seemed to be very sudden cultural icons. It seemed like very suddenly they were Everywhere and So Important.

I can remember hearing about his death, people calling into the radio station I listened to at the time, bawling and being put on the air to share their remembrances. I remember thinking at the time that they should have been telling those kids that mental illness and drugs do not mix...that that should have been the lesson to come out of all of it.

It's only in retrospect that I have become a huge fan. God, he could write a melody and great lyrics. Just listen to About a Girl to hear what phenomenal pop sensibilities he had. That song could have been written by The Beatles.

He's the one big rock star loss from my generation that I always wonder what more he would have accomplished. Anyway, looking forward to seeing this.

I really hope this comes on Netflix at some point, I really want to see it. I've heard good things.

The biggest musical "What if?" I can think of is to wonder what would have happened had John Lennon lived to hear Nirvana. I think John and Kurt would have jumped at the chance to work with each other (considering how similar their musical sensibilities were), and we would probably (Lennon's age or some other unfortunate tragedy notwithstanding) still have both of them around.

Fuck, I can only imagine how good a John Lennon/Kurt Cobain song in 1993 would have been. :sigh:

Watched the first hour, then had to switch to something else, will catch the rest soon.
Pretty gripping stuff from when he was young.

Psst..

thepiratebay.se

Agreed with the rest, too.

I had only seen a cam version that the comments said was brutal on there a couple weeks ago, your post got me to check again and now there's a good version on there, good lookin' out :up:

i cannot wait until such time as I can legally download and or stream this documentary through a paid service, preferably with advertisements

I watched this today (well yesterday). Good documentary. Doesn't really answer any questions but gives you new insight to Cobain's life - growing up and A LOT with Courtney Love and Frances Bean. Like Mrs. Garrison said, soundtrack and visuals/animation are terrific. Definitely doesn't improve Courtney Love's rep at all, which doesn't surprise me. I'm still on the fence regarding her culpability in his death.

I watched this today (well yesterday). Good documentary. Doesn't really answer any questions but gives you new insight to Cobain's life - growing up and A LOT with Courtney Love and Frances Bean. Like Mrs. Garrison said, soundtrack and visuals/animation are terrific. Definitely doesn't improve Courtney Love's rep at all, which doesn't surprise me. I'm still on the fence regarding her culpability in his death.

Yeah - its possible i was took kind on her maybe? I always felt sympathy for her before but this film didn't exactly validate any of those feelings. Part of me is wanting to yell at the television "WTF are you doing, you have a child in you!?!"

Of course once F.B. was born, that same sentiment could be directed at both of them. Kurt was not exactly an angel either.

Heroin...enough said.

Back
Top Bottom