kevin smith

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
anyone have any thoughts on his career so far? I have loved/liked his movies so far. But after some time to think about it, his truly great movies are the first 3, clerks,mallrats,chasing amy. I like clerks 2 and jay and silent bob, but the first dosn't quite have the emotional power of chasing amy and the latter is quite as funny as mallrats or clerks. They almost do, but not quite. I think jersey girl is decent, and zack and miri is pretty good. Dogma was good, I liked it. However, it really should not have been part of his "view askiew" universe. Should have been used as his vehicle to escape the view askiew movies. That is obviously the movie that dosn't fit anything else he has done. Jersey girl and make a prono could have been view askiew before dogma. I didn't think jersey girl was enough of a departure from his other work as he intended. It had the same actors he just used, and took place in nj. It wasn;t his "achtung baby" thats for sure. I love the first 3 movies. It had such a emotional connection as well as being extremely funny. I also believe his hardcore fans wanted a closure to the fate of the characters from chasing amy. And instead he has dance numbers in his future movies. I also didn't think having lee and afflick play different characters in clerks 2 was a good idea. Just have them be one of the characters from the early films. Not bad flims, but too many missteps.

I think that Kevin Smith's career is going pretty well. Any movie that he's involved creatively with is going to be under the View Askew umbrella, so that's something you better get used to. Most of his movies I've enjoyed. I didn't like Jersey Girl that much, but I was very happy to see my hero George Carlin in it. He was the only reason I caught that film.

As the years progress, I would expect to continue to see people who have been in previous Smith films pop up in more Smith films in the future. This isn't uncommon. Prominent directors always sprinkle their friends or people they enjoy working with in their latest projects. In other words, expect Ben Affleck to appear in more Smith films.

Even though Smith has been directing films for nearly 15 years, he's barely scratched the surface of his directing career. He's only 38/39, so he's got plenty of time to further develop and enhance his directing style.

My favorite film of his is Clerks, but I also liked Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Clerks 2. Zack and Miri was pretty good too. Like I said, I think Smith has really only just begun to show us what he can do. I expect more great films from him in the future.

Back
Top Bottom