Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:52 AM
James Cameron's "Avatar"

Have any of you guys heard of it?
I’ve been following news regarding Avatar for a while now and seriously, WTF is up with this movie? Apparently this December we will be subjected to a film that boosts the best visual effects in a movie ever…employing Stereoscopic 3D Cameras that mimic the human sight.

YouTube - James Cameron Stereoscopic 3D camera

I have read many reviews promclaiming it "revolutionary”, “a film that will change history"

Is this film really THAT GOOD?

Comic-Con: James Cameron's Avatar High-Res Na'vi and Trailer Date | TheHDRoom

Quote:
Yesterday at Comic-Con, James Cameron brought the house down when he unveiled Avatar to the public for the first time. Along with the reveal comes some new information about the film you won't want to miss.
First, Fox has launched the official Avatar website at Official Avatar Movie site | In Cinemas December 18th Worldwide where you can sign up for Avatar updates. The site is still in an early phase so there isn't much to look at per se, but it does proclaim August 21 is official "Avatar Day" when approximately 15 minutes worth of scenes from the film will be screened in select theaters and on IMAX for FREE. I anxiously await the list of theaters to be released along with all of you.

Fox also released the key art for the Avatar Comic-Con banner hanging in the streets of San Diego. The original was in super high resolution so I am passing it along in an appropriately gigantic size which you can view by clicking it below. Also note the original was only half of the Na'vi face so what you are seeing below mirror's that half to give an approximation of a complete face.

Here is the new official Avatar synopsis: Avatar is the story of an ex-Marine who finds himself thrust into hostilities on an alien planet filled with exotic life forms. As an Avatar, a human mind in an alien body, he finds himself torn between two worlds, in a desperate fight for his own survival and that of the indigenous people. More than ten years in the making, Avatar marks Cameron's return to feature directing since helming 1997's Titanic, the highest grossing film of all time and winner of eleven Oscars® including Best Picture. WETA Digital, renowned for its work in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and King Kong, will incorporate new intuitive CGI technologies to transform the environments and characters into photorealistic 3D imagery that will transport the audience into the alien world rich with imaginative vistas, creatures and characters.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Our beloved Lancemc's life hangs in the balance as far as this film is concerned.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 08:52 AM
James Cameron does not make good movies, so as much I like me some special effects, I am not looking forward to this one. The story will be bland and contrite and predictable, because I'm sure James King O The World Cameron has to improve upon the anime/comic that it's based on.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
James Cameron does not make good movies, so as much I like me some special effects, I am not looking forward to this one. The story will be bland and contrite and predictable, because I'm sure James King O The World Cameron has to improve upon the anime/comic that it's based on.
Why are you the way you are?

And, do you feel like this because you're Cyborg-American and you and your kind loathe Cameron on principle?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Why are you the way you are?
Awesome? I dunno, that's how elfa built me. I don't question it.

Quote:
And, do you feel like this because you're Cyborg-American and you and your kind loathe Cameron on principle?
No I feel this way cause Titanic sucked, The Abyss (which I rewatched recently) sucked, Dark Angel sucked, and the Terminator films kinda sucked, True Lies sucked, and though I've never seen it, I think it's fairly safe to assume that Piranha II: The Spawing sucked. Aliens was good, but that was 23 years ago and a sequel - and really all he did was take Alien and make it plural - and put a little cliche girl named "Newt" in there. Alien was way better.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No I feel this way cause Titanic sucked, The Abyss (which I rewatched recently) sucked, Dark Angel sucked, and the Terminator films kinda sucked, True Lies sucked, and though I've never seen it, I think it's fairly safe to assume that Piranha II: The Spawing sucked. Aliens was good, but that was 23 years ago and a sequel - and really all he did was take Alien and make it plural - and put a little cliche girl named "Newt" in there. Alien was way better.
I built you well...
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 AM
14 year old Eliza Dushku frowns upon you for saying that True Lies sucked, Beav.

And if Terminator 2 sucks, then my life up until now is forfeit.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

The opinion of a man who feels Cameron's Terminator films sucked is worth less than nothing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #9

Technically I said they "kinda sucked" and I do plan on going back and rewatching them actually (added them to my Netflix queue) cause it's been a while since I've seen them. That has to make my opinion at least equal to nothing now, right?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Technically I said they "kinda sucked" and I do plan on going back and rewatching them actually (added them to my Netflix queue) cause it's been a while since I've seen them. That has to make my opinion at least equal to nothing now, right?
Beav, for whatever it's worth to you, your opinion has meant nothing to me from day one.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Beav, for whatever it's worth to you, your opinion has meant nothing to me from day one.
That's fine, so long as it's not less than nothing. That hurts, you know?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #12

Sorry if I ruined your topic, ORARoundabout.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

The world will find out next friday if the hype he's been spinning will be at all based in reality, he's been claiming this as the game-changing motion picture of our lives since long before he ever started actual production, yet for all the hype its built online, no one in the real world has a clue about it because he's shown us nothing, and it comes out in a matter of months. But he's supposed to premiere the trailer, as well as show 15 minutes in IMAX for free next Friday, if that actually happens he may be able to bring that anticipation to the regular folks who'll make it either a success or failure at the box office.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:52 AM
The footage got a pretty solid reaction at Comic Con.

The Free Avatar Day promotion is ballsy, and just the sort of advertising a movie like this needs. I know I'd pay the $15 to see it in 3D and IMAX, but will the guy who usually waits for everything to hit the dollar theater? Driving home the point that this will be an experience that cannot possibly be replicated in a home-viewing situation is essential for this movie to succeed financially.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Only problem with Avatar Day is the only people who are likely to attend it are already anticipating the film. The only way to get tickets for the two showings of the footage that day is to go onto the film's website and and try to reserve tickets. Which isn't something those on the fence or unfamiliar with the film are going to ever do. However, letting a good number of Avatar fans see some footage in advance will do wonders for popular word-of-mouth, which is what makes of breaks these sorts of films these days anyway.

Tags