James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
soooooo...

pocahontas.jpg

i knew i'd seen that movie before...

visually amazing? yes. unbelievably cheestacular script, complete disney pocahontis rip off with a side of rocky and bullwinkle? yup, that too.

lawrence-of-arabiaposter.jpg

Dune.jpg

jcblbmar.jpg

Among other things. And people are quick to forget that Star Wars pretty much rips this film off directly:

hiddenfortress.jpg

Lesson is: if you're going to lift from another work for your own, make sure most Americans haven't seen it.

At this point, the pocahontas references are about as fresh and the hamlet/lion king references. that is to say, not at all

The irony being that posting a pocahontas poster, what, 2 months after the film has been released and the point has been made thousands of times on the internet, on tv, in magazines, shows even less originality than the story in Avatar

Apparently I'm getting a little too worked up. I just dont understand why someone would want to print off that script thing and show it to people who genuinely liked the movie. Why shit all over their parade? They know the story is similar to a couple other movies. they've heard it a thousand times before you brought it up. but guess what? They just dont care. What is it that makes you want to try to ruin it for other people?

At this point, the pocahontas references are about as fresh and the hamlet/lion king references. that is to say, not at all

The irony being that posting a pocahontas poster, what, 2 months after the film has been released and the point has been made thousands of times on the internet, on tv, in magazines, shows even less originality than the story in Avatar

my point is i never read this thread, i don't go scowering the interwebs for fucking avatar reviews, i saw the movie last night knowing absolutely nothing about any sort of pocahontis connection, immediately thought that i had seen the movie before, thought the script was disney like but at first couldn't think of anything other than the little mermaid, then had my eureka moment today during a morning constitutional where i finally realized that it was, in fact, pocahontis, and decided to share my glee and figuring it out.

my bad if i'm late to the avatar is technologicly amazing but the story is a load of crap party.

Apparently I'm getting a little too worked up. I just dont understand why someone would want to print off that script thing and show it to people who genuinely liked the movie. Why shit all over their parade? They know the story is similar to a couple other movies. they've heard it a thousand times before you brought it up. but guess what? They just dont care. What is it that makes you want to try to ruin it for other people?

I laughed at the script thing at the time that IYS posted it, but yeah, that was like a month or so ago? Avatar is a pretty good movie (as in, it's exactly what it sets out to be) and the comparisons with Pocahontas and other similar stories from the American frontier are so obvious, to the point that it seems hard to believe that someone who likes the film wouldn't notice.

Anyway, I'd still rather watch The Lion King than a performance of Hamlet.

comparisons with Pocahontas and other similar stories from the American frontier are so obvious, to the point that it seems hard to believe that someone who likes the film wouldn't notice.

Anyway, I'd still rather watch The Lion King than a performance of Hamlet.

you would think so, but some needed a sleep and a dump to figure it out.

And my earlier frustration blinded me to the fact that it wasnt Hamlet that Lion King was based on, it was Macbeth

I'm pretty sure Hamlet was the inspiration for the Lion King (son, king, etc) not MacBeth (crazy wife, kills the king, goes nuts). Maybe you're confusing the Lion King with Scotland, PA? Happens all the time.

I'm pretty sure Kimba was the inspiration for The Lion King, and Hamlet was the inspiration for Kimba, but let's not get into pedantry. They're all special in their own way. :hug:

I'm pretty sure Hamlet was the inspiration for the Lion King (son, king, etc) not MacBeth (crazy wife, kills the king, goes nuts). Maybe you're confusing the Lion King with Scotland, PA? Happens all the time.

I wrote a rather successful essay way back in highschool comparing the Lion King to Macbeth. There are a ton of similarities

That doesn't change the fact that AVATAR BLOWS. Fucking Joseph Campbell hero's journey bullshit.

i thought it was all-in-all pretty awesome -- not just visually spectacular, but really emotionally engaging, crowd-enthralling action with characters i moderately cared about. it's a great film. :up:

What is it that I posted that you couldn't comprehend? Was it the tongue in cheek tone that went over your head? Maybe you should take another shit and think about it for a while

What is it that I posted that you couldn't comprehend? Was it the tongue in cheek tone that went over your head? Maybe you should take another shit and think about it for a while

yes, it went over my head. i'm too dum to comprehend what you said.

perhaps i can quote a paper i wrote about my pet goldfish back in 3rd grade to better make you understand why i thought avatar sucked.

Back
Top Bottom