James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spaced was awesome when it came out in 1999 and I still love watching it, particularly season 2, but the little bastard seemed to be let down by it. I'm chalking it down to an existing exposure to the aesthetic (that seriously needs to be upgraded come their third film together) and the influence already seen in other shows. Because there's no way he can not like it, you know? I'd have to kill him.

That's exactly why. I didn't dislike it, and seeing the more refined and better products of their humor beforehand didn't help either.

I really need to watch Spaced at some point.

Yeah you do! Even if you didn't find Pegg and Frost and company funny (which based on your earlier comments, you already do) all the references would kill you. At least it's finally available on R1.

Lance: I don't know what to do, Dalton. A sequel is weak, it's weak. Anyway, if he did this other picture, it puts him right back on top, you know. But this... this director. He won't pull the trigger and ask the head of the studio.

Chief Dalton: Which director?

Lance: James Cameron. He said there's no chance, no chance...

[Meanwhile, Fagin finds Scumbo and summons him]

Lance: Years ago he bought the rights to this manga, a best seller. The main character is an effeminate cyborg, just like me. I wouldn't even have to act, just be myself. Oh, Dalton, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do...

[All of a sudden, Chief Dalton rises from his chair and gives Lance a savage shake]

Chief Dalton: YOU CAN ACT LIKE A WARRIOR!

[gives a quick slap to Lance]

Chief Dalton: What's the matter with you? Is this what you've become, an internet geek who cries like a woman? "Oh, what do I do? What do I do?" What is that nonsense? Ridiculous!

[Dalton's unexpected mimicry makes Fagin and even Lance laugh; around this time Scumbo comes in]

Chief Dalton: Tell me, do you spend time with your father?

Lance: I don't know him.

Chief Dalton: Not good. Because a man who doesn't know his father can never be a real man.

[gives a quick look at Scumbo and affectionately embraces Lance]

Chief Dalton: You look terrible. I want you to eat peyote, I want you to go on vision quest. And a month from now this James Cameron big shot's gonna make the movie you want.

Lance: Too late. They start shooting in a week.

Chief Dalton: I'm gonna make him an barter he won't refuse. Okay? I want you to leave it all to Great Spirit. Go on, go back to the pow-wow.

[a gratified Lance leaves]

Deserves to be on the new page. :up:

Yeah I love how this turned into a Wright/Pegg/Frost thread, let's make one of those...

I finally saw this film tonight.

What a breathtaking, visually stunning movie, despite some lame dialogue in the second half.

I kept thinking about Dances With Wolves while watching it, only this time the Indians won.

This.

And then read Scott Pilgrim. And then we can be giddy together with excitement.

A long time ago, I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never found anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away. Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch Scott Pilgrim.

Tangerine.

This time of year there's not much competition from an entertainment perspective; it's when the studios tend to dump their shitty stuff. So when people are faced with the choice between seeing something new that may not be very good or going back to experience something amazing again, Avatar may get a LOT of repeat business.

I think it'll top $550 in North America, but I don't see it sinking Titanic's domestic $600m (not to mention that adjusts to about $800m now, and without 3D) but it could very likely top it worldwide.

Well, Titanic's adjusted total still isn't the highest of all-time. While several adjusted list champs like Gone With The Wind or Star Wars received multiple releases, if you adjust The Sound of Music's original take it comes out to over a billion.

The adjusted total for Gone With The Wind's original box office take would still beat The Sound Of Music. If I'm reading boxofficemojo right, the original take was $189,523,031. Combine that with being released almost 30 years earlier, and it is far and away the leader.

No, that isn't the original take. That's including re-releases, and GWTW had many of those over the years. Star Wars' total also includes the Special Edition re-releases, which isn't really fair to include. You'd really have to have the totals for each separate release, and adjust those accordingly per year to have a more legitimate estimate. There's no way it made $189 million in 1939, that's for sure.

The Sound of Music is the oldest contender that I think there's clear enough data for.

No, that isn't the original take. That's including re-releases, and GWTW had many of those over the years. Star Wars' total also includes the Special Edition re-releases, which isn't really fair to include. You'd really have to have the totals for each separate release, and adjust those accordingly per year to have a more legitimate estimate. There's no way it made $189 million in 1939, that's for sure.

The Sound of Music is the oldest contender that I think there's clear enough data for.

They state that GWTW's domestic lifetime gross is $198,676,459, and that it's domestic total gross was $189,523,031. If the first figure is the overall domestic gross, what is the other one for? Apparently when it first came out, it played continuously in theaters for four years.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=gonewiththewind.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=gonewiththewind.htm

I know it had numerous re-releases, but I don't think it pulled much in from those, although I can't find the figures anywhere.

EDIT - never mind, I found it. Looks like all the previous re-releases totalled about $80 million. So roughly $100 million at the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom