James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great movie, really enjoyed it.

This was the first 3D movie I have seen where I can honestly say I kept on enjoying this type of filmmaking throughout the entire movie. I do not know if I can explain it, but in other 3D movies such as UP, Coraline, U23D, as the movie continued I would get used to the images and I would forget that it was in this format. Not with Avatar. The scenes were gorgeous and the design of the characters were superb.
I can not wait to get this in Blu-Ray.

9.5/10

One of the best movies I have seen the 3D effects in this movie blow away any other film I have seen up to this point. I will be seeing this again, even with the close to 3 hours of running time it didnt feel overly long. Its hard to put into words how good the effects were, and the story line actually made quite a lot of sense compared to what I was expecting.

It was almost like you were right in the movie.

10/10

A true classic.

Oh shit, guess who I found out played the Na'vi tribe leader?

magua2xp.jpg

Saw it and liked it. The story was totally cheesy and predictable, nothing you haven't seen a hundred times before. But it was visually gorgeous and for that alone it's worth seeing.

Michelle Rodriguez in that tight, white cleavage-bearing tee shirt when she comes to help the good guys escape their holding cell = HAWT.

:up:

Film did indeed look spectacular in 3D.

Predictable, but that's not important because it was enjoyable.

Following the blossoming romance between Jake Sully and the indigenous chick was really sweet and the most affecting thing about the film for me...though my balls seem to have gone missing in recent weeks...

Previously 4 films had hit 1 billion worldwide EVER, this did it in 19 days, with no built-in audience.

Previously 4 films had hit 1 billion worldwide EVER, this did it in 19 days, with no built-in audience.

apples to apples - they sold more tickets

a good portion of Avatar is 3D tickets at $14 - $15 a ticket.
About twice the ticket costs of some of the others.

apples to apples - they sold more tickets

a good portion of Avatar is 3D tickets at $14 - $15 a ticket.
About twice the ticket costs of some of the others.

Really? regular tickets are around $12 in Canada :huh:

Box office gross is calculated on an average ticket price though isn't it? Along with number of tickets sold.

I'm pretty sure it's just money. Yes, it should be tickets sold, but studios would rather brag about $$ to their investors and board members.

By that same reasoning, shouldn't children's films be priced even higher, because a good portion of the tickets sold would be at discounted prices?

Here's a list of domestic box office champs with totals adjusted for inflation:

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Titanic's $600 million doesn't seem as impressive, although some of these include re-releases. I do know that The Phantom Menace's $420+ million domestic take in 1999 would now be around $550 mil (not to mention going well over a billion worldwide), which tops any of the LOTR films, Harry Potter, Spider-Man, as well as The Dark Knight.

I don't know. I've been hearing for years it has something to do with average ticket prices. But I don't know for certain.

Also, total grosses are total grosses. Estimated grosses are estimated. No averages involved, unless to determine (roughly, if precise numbers don't exist/haven't been reported) the number of tickets sold.

Back
Top Bottom