James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, boy. What a ride, what an achievement. Far surpassed my expectations. I can't imagine why anyone would sit there and try to pick apart the dialogue, the characters, whatever. The story is simple, but it is not childish. The characters aren't necessarily deep or shaded, but Jake Sully is, and that's all that matters because this is his journey. I can live with these shortcomings when so much attention has been paid to the exploration of an alien culture, the most comprehensive I've ever seen. There is certainly a lot of grey area between a great screenplay and a poor one, and this one doesn't deserve to be thrown in with the latter.

Jake's maturation, not only within the tribe but in his interactions with the natural world, is done with a sense of wonder, humility, and grace, so to call the endeavor unsophisticated is ridiculous. With the early exception of the scene where Jake gets all gangsta talk with the animals (something that is far worse and out-of-place in its respective film than anything Lucas has ever committed to screen), I didn't have any problem with the dialogue. Sure, Ribisi was a bit cartoony, but who cares?

As far as the effects are concerned, never before have movements and expressions been captured this authentically. Or spend such time creating a full environment and ecosystem. After all these years, someone finally made it feel real, and then used it to create something very moving at times. What more can you say?

Fully agreed laz. Sure the supporting and background characters aren't fully realized, but Worthington and Saldana's are, and their performances are impeccable for a movie that's 60% digital, and most of their performances were mo-cap.

Yes, it's almost entirely Jake and Neytiri's story, and for good reason. Film does an excellent job of filtering a rather massive scenario full of big broad ideas through an extremely intimate personal story. It's very much what he tried to do on Titanic and more or less floundered with back then.

Cameron didn't invent the term, as it's been around for over 50 years, so it's not exactly some kind of idiotic writing choice. It's actually pretty amusing, considering:

Unobtainium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting. I dont remember any of the exact dialogue regarding Unobtanium, but did they ever imply that was the scientific name for it? Could it have just been a slag term in the same sense that it is normally used?

Interesting. I dont remember any of the exact dialogue regarding Unobtanium, but did they ever imply that was the scientific name for it? Could it have just been a slag term in the same sense that it is normally used?

Yeah, that's the impression I got.

Yes, it's almost entirely Jake and Neytiri's story, and for good reason. Film does an excellent job of filtering a rather massive scenario full of big broad ideas through an extremely intimate personal story. It's very much what he tried to do on Titanic and more or less floundered with back then.

:up:

i've actually had a long post simmering in my brain tentatively titled In Defense of Titanic ... but that will have to wait until the new year.

what's awesome about Cameron (despite his rumored failings as a human being) is that his women are pretty much always awesome. i can't remember a movie of this size where the hero is, without question, the main female protagonist.

it really couldn't have been any better. amazing. astonishing. yada, yada, yada.

:up:

Avatar was amazing and astonishing and thoroughly enjoyable.

Another one amazed, astonished, etc. :up:

what's awesome about Cameron (despite his rumored failings as a human being) is that his women are pretty much always awesome. i can't remember a movie of this size where the hero is, without question, the main female protagonist.

All the women were great in Avatar, and it was so refreshing to see Sigourney Weaver not looking all overly botoxed and stretched and creepily surgically altered like most much younger actresses, although given she's 60 she must've had a little something done but it sure looks natural.

i've actually had a long post simmering in my brain tentatively titled In Defense of Titanic ... but that will have to wait until the new year.

I'm not ashamed to say that I liked Titanic, very much.

Did you see the TMZ video of his interaction with an autograph seeking fan at the airport? It's so douchetastic. And I agree, he celebrates strong women in his movies and I like that.

I'm not ashamed to say that I liked Titanic, very much.

Did you see the TMZ video of his interaction with an autograph seeking fan at the airport? It's so douchetastic. And I agree, he celebrates strong women in his movies and I like that.

You know who does a much better job of celebrating strong women? Quentin Tarantino. Even if they end up dead more often than not in his movies.

Avatar's graphics will look dated in three years. And the backlash will come even sooner. Blue cat people should never be the avatars of 3D realism.

It will look dated in the same way that the model work in Star Wars looks dated today... meaning, not really at all, even though there has been far superior work done in the meantime.

It will look dated in the same way that the model work in Star Wars looks dated today... meaning, not really at all, even though there has been far superior work done in the meantime.

thigidy-this (thats right). The CG is an art form in itself. People still look back at the original King Kong and appreciate whats going on on screen. This was a huge step forward in cinema and will be appreciated as such

Somewhere along the way, people will start remembering that cinema is about capturing real actors doing real acting in real environs.

Cinema is actually about a few different things, not just one thing.

Maybe you'll one day remember, or perhaps learn for the first time, that what you seek out and enjoy most in a theater, or from a book, or from an album is not necessarily what others look for.

As for "real environs", what does that even mean? Are you telling me that a sound stage without a green screen is a "real" environment? Perhaps you're just in favor of shooting everything on location? Even period pieces? Do you own a time machine? If so, do you ever use it? If so, do you look towards the past or the future? If it's the future, do I ever get banned for calling you an idiot?

Because cinema is entirely about motion capture right now. What happened to all the people shoot live aciton!? :panic:

Who's more skilled? A photographer who captures real people in real moments or a "photographer" who's really good at photoshop?

As a photographer, I think you need to realize that in today's industry, if you are a photographer with no digital post skills, you are irrelevant (there are a few exceptions, of course).

edit: In addition, they are two different skill sets and you'd be hard pressed to determine which makes the artist 'more skilled'

Who's more skilled? A photographer who captures real people in real moments or a "photographer" who's really good at photoshop?

Both might be highly "skilled", who cares and what does this prove?

Do you mean to say that you value the work of a photographer who captures real people in real moments? Guess what, so do I. However, because I have room in my head for some modicum of variety, I can appreciate the work of both.

You might want to know that you're arguing with people who practically worship the films of Terence Malick. That does not preclude me from enjoying Avatar for what it is.

If you can't enjoy films heavy on the CGI, I hear you, but let's not pretend that you represent the views of all film fans nor are you the arbiter of what people should value cinematically.

You might want to know that you're arguing with people who practically worship the films of Terence Malick. That does not preclude me from enjoying Avatar for what it is.

Malick shot some scenes for The Tree of Life on digital video!!! :panic: *killself*

Back
Top Bottom