James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its creators claim that it is the future of film-making, leading the way to a brave new world of stereoscopic cinema. And yet, as the hype continues to build around the James Cameron's upcoming Avatar, one lone voice has dared to break from the script. On the contrary, it says, Avatar is "literally vomit inducing".

Hollywood gossip site gawker.com has published an anonymous early review from what it claims is "a real live entertainment worker", comprehensively panning the film's storyline and visual techniques. It seems safe to assume that none of the review will be quoted on the movie poster.

Budgeted at a reported $237m (£143m), Avatar is Cameron's first dramatic feature since the record-breaking Titanic, back in 1997. The film is a science-fiction fantasy set on a verdant planet called Pandora and following the adventures of a US Marine played by Sam Worthington. Cameron shot the film on his own patented "fusion digital 3D camera system" and experts argue that the results take 3D techniques to a whole new level. It is set for worldwide release on 17 December 2009.

The reviewer, however, begs to differ, describing the film as "alienating" and "weird". Moreover, he/she argues that its pioneering visual technology is liable to induce nausea in the viewer. "The problem is with cutting in between 3D focus points and perspective," the mystery critic writes. "The mind cannot adjust to it without a buffer – thus, Avatar is literally vomit inducing."

Even the review's praise comes with a sting in the tail. "There are some beautiful moments [in the film]," it concedes. "But overall it's a horrible piece of shit."

James Cameron's 3D Avatar leaves reviewer queasy | Film | guardian.co.uk

popcorn-time-mj-dead-1.gif

People get sick during shaky-cam movies too. :shrug:

The only person I know who's seen the entire film at this point is one of the most intelligent and tasteful cineastes I know and isn't a particularly big fan of blockbusters or the whole geek film scene. He says the movie is "pretty good."

The only person I know who's seen the entire film at this point is one of the most intelligent and tasteful cineastes I know and isn't a particularly big fan of blockbusters or the whole geek film scene. He says the movie is "pretty good."

"Pretty good" with a film of this magnitude isn't good enough, is it? Hell, I had/have major issues with Titanic but I still came out of it amazed.

Of course, you can say "pretty good" with a variety of inflections.

"Pretty good" with a film of this magnitude isn't good enough, is it? Hell, I had/have major issues with Titanic but I still came out of it amazed.

Of course, you can say "pretty good" with a variety of inflections.

Well, a "pretty good" from him is about as good an endorsement for this type of film as I would imagine, so I'm fairly relieved. Point being, I'm pretty convinced we're not looking at a dud here, at least not so far as the film itself is concerned. Financially could be a different story.

I finally bought my tickets. Saturday December 19th at 2:15 pm. NYC Lincoln Square IMAX theater. 8000 square feet of hi-res 3D blue kitty titties and giant mechs blowing shit up. What more could I possibly ask?

That shot is pretty impressive. I would think with the mo-cap that the cg humans will look quite realistic

Definitely seems more in line with an militarized power-suit from Aliens than with the mechs from Revolutions, the latter of which is far more in tune with that series' anime influence.

Haha, and the plot thickens...

Now the buzz actually seems to be living up to the hype we were hearing for years, after a weird period of popular culture rejection from August until now.

Cameron when asked about Avatar sequels:

He said that because so much went into creating the world in Avatar, it makes sense to use that to make more films. "Actually, when I pitched this to 20th Century Fox four-and-a-half years ago, I said, 'You know, we're going to spend a lot of money and time and energy creating not only a process but the assets, the CG assets, we call them - all the models of every rock and tree and plant and creature and the muscle rigs for all the creatures and the facial rigging for the main characters and all that'... huge, millions and millions of dollars. So it really makes sense to think of it as the potential start of a franchise, if you will, or a saga that plays out over several acts, each movie being an act of that saga. And I have it mapped out, but I haven't written the scripts yet. And it all depends on whether we do well with the first film. But that was certainly the intention from the beginning - to create a foundation for a persistent world."

Also

Cameron said that Battle Angel is one of the projects he's going to be considering when he decides what he'll do next. He was asked if he was to do a sequel to Avatar, would it be after Battle Angel? He said, "Not necessarily, that's part of the decision making process.

Doooooo eeeeeeet!

And dozens of American critics... Who were given... something else probably. We're not a nation of alcoholics.

Back
Top Bottom