James Cameron's "Avatar"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a Tribble in the bar scene of the first film, apparently. And R2 floating in space.

My mate, who was wearing a rhinestone Stormtrooper tee, and I caught an elevator recently and, in what I guess was an attempt to be cool, the other guy in there nodded at my mate and said "Engage" whilst pointing to the floor buttons. Tit.

</tenuously linked anecdote>

Star-Wars-Storm-Trooper-T_8B10D9FE.jpg

Good for a holiday.

Voyager kind of made the Borg pretty shitty and not scary. No Kahn no Borg. Yes to Klingons.

Forgot to mention earlier that I saw this trailer before Inglourious Basterds today, and while the environments looked a lot better than what I was able to see on my computer, the character work still looked godawful. It's rather embarrassing.

James Cameron does not make good movies, so as much I like me some special effects, I am not looking forward to this one. The story will be bland and contrite and predictable, because I'm sure James King O The World Cameron has to improve upon the anime/comic that it's based on.

I was incorrect when I said this was based on an anime. Apparently Cameron has written it himself, which gives me even less reason to think it might be even remotely good....

I was incorrect when I said this was based on an anime. Apparently Cameron has written it himself, which gives me even less reason to think it might be even remotely good....

Yeah, its his next proposed project Battle Angel that's based on a manga.

This week's EW had an article on the marketing hype machine behind Avatar, and acted like the only criticism the footage received was for some 'clunky dialogue', everything else was universally raved... yeah, because I saw even a single mention of the dialogue in countless people's reactions. Sheesh.

I think these CGI alien things are pretty impressive, freeze a frame and you can see the veins in their arms and necks...

^That's cool, but it's mostly color correction. They did all that color correction and didn't alter what was the biggest complaint... THE SHADE OF BLUE!

Again, everything else looks epic, but if you toned the blue down a little, the character design wouldn't look half as ridiculous.

'Groundbreaking' 'king of the world' director or not, this is a $300m 3hr gamble with much of the screen time dedicated to creatures that the public isn't responding to, the cast is excellent and the rest of the environments are awesome, but I just think this is going to be more esoteric than ubiquitous. I honestly see like $200-250m domestic as the ceiling for this, unless some how it lights a fire after/right before it's release ala District 9 on a bigger scale.

'Groundbreaking' 'king of the world' director or not, this is a $300m 3hr gamble with much of the screen time dedicated to creatures that the public isn't responding to, the cast is excellent and the rest of the environments are awesome, but I just think this is going to be more esoteric than ubiquitous. I honestly see like $200-250m domestic as the ceiling for this, unless some how it lights a fire after/right before it's release ala District 9 on a bigger scale.

You may be right when all's said and done. However, if Fox knows what they're doing (they probably don't) I'm sure they could break that ceiling with "From the director of Titanic, Aliens, and The Terminator" alone. Especially if they play up the romantic big Hollywood adventure aspects of the film enough in TV spots closer to release. We'll see.

Well, the general public isn't going to get on board with it. How often are we asked to take an entire alien race this seriously, especially when the design is so striking and in-your-face (as opposed to District 9)?

There's certainly no hook that's going to cover a wide demographic. Worthington is still a nobody and Weaver is a fanboy icon that doesn't have any additional draw.

It's as if Lucas made an entire film about the Naboo invasion and all its cultural implications, and the general public just wants to have a good time.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but movie sci-fi is still a bit of a ghetto, and when it has something to say the money doesn't tend to come rolling in. Remember Solaris?

I really hope its a good film, I'm just not convinced with the 'photo realistic' CG yet. I dont want it to feel like I'm watching an animated movie, but, at least from the trailers, I find it really jarring to go from live action to cg. Its almost like the cg models lack the imperfections that make things real. I hope I'm wrong about this one though

Back
Top Bottom